Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,546 times

Advertisements

What would you consider overall more brutally cold?

Great Falls:

January average: -9.1 to 1.9C
July average: 11.2 to 28.6 C
Average snowy days a year: 44
Average daily low: 0.4C
Record low: -44C

Toronto:

January average: -7.3 to -1.1C
July average: 17.9 to 26.4 C
Average snowy days a year: 42
Average daily low: 5.6C
Record low: -32.8C

I would say Great Falls is easily a colder climate. The winter highs maybe be higher but the lows are lower and the cold period is much longer. It can even snow in the summer in Great Falls, in Toronto that would never happen.

I'd consider Toronto a fairly standard temperate climate, albeit certainly a bit on the cold side. Great Falls on the other hand has some characteristics of a subarctic climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,465 times
Great Falls, most definitely.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,421 times
Great Falls doesn't have a great lake to moderate and influence it's weather. Great Falls is for sure the more brutal place in winter.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
Those averages for Great Falls do not give a clear picture of a Montana winter, if you just look at the averages. The temperature swings in Montana are enormous, they can catch warming winds (chinook) off the mountains that give them an occasional warm day you would never get in Toronto. Not to mention that Toronto gets more snow from being in the great lakes region. I would choose the Montana winter over Toronto, If I had to pick one. Montana gets those really cold arctic blasts of 40 below once in a while, but they recover from that and get some 50's and 60's, when the wind is right. A few nice winter days are better than none, and would think Montana gets more sunny days than Toronto, winter or summer.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Those averages for Great Falls do not give a clear picture of a Montana winter, if you just look at the averages. The temperature swings in Montana are enormous, they can catch warming winds (chinook) off the mountains that give them an occasional warm day you would never get in Toronto. Not to mention that Toronto gets more snow from being in the great lakes region. I would choose the Montana winter over Toronto, If I had to pick one. Montana gets those really cold arctic blasts of 40 below once in a while, but they recover from that and get some 50's and 60's, when the wind is right. A few nice winter days are better than none, and would think Montana gets more sunny days than Toronto, winter or summer.
60s in winter in Montana is pushing it. 50 is about the warmest it gets. And especially nowadays 50 in winter in Toronto wouldn't be that unusual. Toronto gets more winter snow but Great Falls can get snow over a much longer period of the year. Great Falls is sunnier than Toronto but I wouldn't consider it a sunny place in general, it's pretty average for cloud cover.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Great Falls..

Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post

I'd consider Toronto a fairly standard temperate climate, albeit certainly a bit on the cold side. Great Falls on the other hand has some characteristics of a subarctic climate.
Toronto is certainly much less brutal in winter than Montana but I would not consider it a temperate climate. Toronto is on the mild side of the continental climates, and even then it's not the mildest of the continentals - Windsor, Ontario and the Niagara peninsula are milder than Toronto in winter and they are still continental.

Temperate to me is New York, Philadelphia, Paris, London...

Old 02-13-2014, 09:34 AM

43 posts, read 53,184 times
Toronto is colder because it rarely goes above the freezing mark during winter months

Old 02-17-2014, 09:13 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical weather sucks View Post
Toronto is colder because it rarely goes above the freezing mark during winter months
Really? The average January high for Toronto is 30.7C, which is almost at the freezing mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.