U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,535,320 times

Advertisements

I've heard of Portsmouth, OH being a white majority town with a high crimes. Are there any more cities that have a White majority with a high crime rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Based upon Wiki, which has violent crime rates for 2011, the following are the highest crime large majority-white cities, in descending order (white percentage in parentheses - in most cases I listed non-Hispanic white, but for a few cities the information isn't on Wiki)

Buffalo (50.2%)
Kansas City, MO (54.9%)
Nashville (56.3%)
Indianapolis (58%)
Tulsa (57.9%)
Toledo (64.8%)
Minneapolis (63.8%)
Oklahoma City (56.7%)
Anchorage (62.6%)
Pittsburgh (64.8%)

Louisville is the the highest-crime city which is over 70% white (it's 77.4% white - much more so than historically due to the city-county merger.

I know from Pittsburgh that the violent crime overwhelmingly happens in the black neighborhoods of the city (Pittsburgh's only around 27% black), so it does fit the general pattern of violent crime in more minority-heavy cities. I would presume you'd see something similar in other cities.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:01 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Orlando has the highest rate of violent crimes per capita and has just 28% Black residents. Study: Cities with Most Crime - CreditDonkey

Another website (Neighborhood Scout) ranked Orlando on par with Compton, CA which if one is familiar is a frightening place overall.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 AM

4,948 posts, read 7,873,797 times
I recently stayed in a hotel in a mountain area of Kentucky I was just passing through on my way back from a trip.

After venturing out briefly to a few stores close by and seeing the mostly all-white population there, I decided to just stay in my hotel for the remainder of the time. Scary.

On the other hand, I have often said that the safest I have ever felt was in Western Montana, which is overwhelmingly white.

I think a lot depends on the education level.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 AM

18,453 posts, read 9,554,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando has the highest rate of violent crimes per capita and has just 28% Black residents. Study: Cities with Most Crime - CreditDonkey

Another website (Neighborhood Scout) ranked Orlando on par with Compton, CA which if one is familiar is a frightening place overall.
Everyone's ideas on how to evaluate statistics is different. My first priority is the murder rate....there is no recovery from that. According to this site on murder, Compton has vaired between 67 and 12.5 murders per 100,000 residents in 10 years covered and Orlando is between 7.5 to a high of 22.6. Compton's rate is now well below many other cities such as Gary, Ind and New Orleans and several others. BTW, City Data shows Orland's white population as 41.3% of the population.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:59 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Everyone's ideas on how to evaluate statistics is different. My first priority is the murder rate....there is no recovery from that. According to this site on murder, Compton has vaired between 67 and 12.5 murders per 100,000 residents in 10 years covered and Orlando is between 7.5 to a high of 22.6. Compton's rate is now well below many other cities such as Gary, Ind and New Orleans and several others. BTW, City Data shows Orland's white population as 41.3% of the population.
Most worry about the violent crime rate which includes more likely crimes such as armed robbery or assault. Here's an analysis from a "competing website" that illustrates the crime issues...

With a crime rate of 83 per one thousand residents, Orlando has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 12. Within Florida, more than 97% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Orlando.In fact, after researching dangerous places to live, XXXXX found Orlando to be one of the top 100 most dangerous cities in the U.S.A.

Separately, it is always interesting and important to compare a city's crime rate with those of similarly sized communities - a fair comparison as larger cities tend to have more crime. XXXXX has done just that. With a population of 243,195, Orlando has a combined rate of violent and property crime that is very high compared to other places of similar population size. Regardless of whether Orlando does well or poorly compared to all other cities and towns in the US of all sizes, compared to places with a similar population, it fares badly. Few other communities of this size have a crime rate as high as Orlando.

The crime data that XXXXX used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined.

Now let us turn to take a look at how Orlando does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Orlando.

For Orlando, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to XXXXX's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Orlando is one in 93.

Significantly, based on the number of murders reported by the FBI and the number of residents living in the city, XXXXX's analysis shows that Orlando experiences one of the higher murder rates in the nation when compared with cities and towns for all sizes of population, from the largest to the smallest.

In addition, XXXXX found that a lot of the crime that takes place in Orlando is property crime. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In Orlando, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 14, which is a rate of 73 per one thousand population.

Importantly, we found that Orlando has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation according to our analysis of FBI crime data. This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the largest. In fact, your chance of getting your car stolen if you live in Orlando is one in 182.

Also the OP mentioned Black vs White demographic and most population counts include Hispanics as part of the White numbers as a subset.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM

2,176 posts, read 970,746 times
the crime in these white majority cities are occuring in areas where minorities are the majority. Like louisville etc

Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I've heard of Portsmouth, OH being a white majority town with a high crimes. Are there any more cities that have a White majority with a high crime rate?
A lot of cities are white majority, although some people may not realize it. Atlanta is 54% white...Washington D.C is 48% white...Detroit is 70% white...etc.

So I guess Detroit wins.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
A lot of cities are white majority, although some people may not realize it. Atlanta is 54% white...Washington D.C is 48% white...Detroit is 70% white...etc.

So I guess Detroit wins.
I think the thread is about cities, you're talking about metro areas.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I think the thread is about cities, you're talking about metro areas.
Oh...I think metro areas are usually referred to as cities now, at least online anyway. Most people don't bother talking about city-limits except in certain contexts that call for it. I assumed this was like most other discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or