U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,475 posts, read 11,975,150 times
Reputation: 10577

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
aren't they all "real cities"???
I'm talking about stereotypes here, not things I personally believe, which should be obvious.

 
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Where Else...?
740 posts, read 1,022,210 times
Reputation: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm talking about stereotypes here, not things I personally believe, which should be obvious.
I know, eschaton. It seems that the stereotypes of what defines a "real city" is based on architectural aesthetics. Is that what it is?


I guess I see things differently.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,245,859 times
Reputation: 10289
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm talking about stereotypes here, not things I personally believe, which should be obvious.
Its all bogus. There is no set defination of what a "real" city is. In reality it varies from state to state. In Pennsylvania, its any place with more than 10,000 residents.

CD is full of urban elitest that are dumb enough to call major cities in the south like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Charlotte not "real" cities.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,946,972 times
Reputation: 4081
Who are you to say what southerners think and what northerners think? None of us exist in a vacuum...we travel, use the internet, watch tv, etc. We know about the world outside our little area.

It's the arrogance with which some people generalize about others that irritates me. You obviously don't know how everyone thinks.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 12:43 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,946,972 times
Reputation: 4081
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Its all bogus. There is no set defination of what a "real" city is. In reality it varies from state to state. In Pennsylvania, its any place with more than 10,000 residents.

CD is full of urban elitest that are dumb enough to call major cities in the south like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Charlotte not "real" cities.
Thank you.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,475 posts, read 11,975,150 times
Reputation: 10577
I don't understand why, when I was trying to summarize why people lived in the North and the South seem to disagree so frequently on the urbanity of the south, so many people jumped to the conclusion that I was saying that southern cities were not real cities.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,946,972 times
Reputation: 4081
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't understand why, when I was trying to summarize why people lived in the North and the South seem to disagree so frequently on the urbanity of the south, so many people jumped to the conclusion that I was saying that southern cities were not real cities.
Is that what you said? I didn't see that at all.

I don't know that we disagree all that much on the urbanity anywhere...we disagree on being told that our cities are lesser than those in other regions because they aren't carbon copies.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,475 posts, read 11,975,150 times
Reputation: 10577
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Is that what you said? I didn't see that at all.
I basically said southerners tend to associate "city" with the Central Business District. In contrast, northerners tend to associate it just as much with the old non-suburban residential neighborhoods ringing the CBD. I didn't put "southerners are wrong, and northerners are right" anywhere. Cultural perceptions are by their nature subjective.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,245,859 times
Reputation: 10289
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I basically said southerners tend to associate "city" with the Central Business District. In contrast, northerners tend to associate it just as much with the old non-suburban residential neighborhoods ringing the CBD. I didn't put "southerners are wrong, and northerners are right" anywhere. Cultural perceptions are by their nature subjective.
Really? Because most of the major southern cities have downtowns that are all but dead after 5pm. The places that are most alive tend to be the areas right outside downtown (Uptown Dallas, Midtown Houston, Buckhead in Atlanta, etc.). Also, as far as diversity is concerned in the South, the suburban areas of the cities and the suburbs themselves tend to pack a much bigger punch per capita than the cities.
 
Old 05-02-2013, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,157 posts, read 19,812,740 times
Reputation: 8811
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Of course I'm aware of New Orleans. Charleston and Savanna also famously have urban cores, and Richmond has the Fan District, which is of course classicly urban.

As for the other cities, I don't think the older neighborhoods, where they are intact, fit the classic mold. The historic districts I've seen which were built for the wealthy tend to have larger houses sitting fairly far back on the property. They look old, but seem "soft urban" at most. The worker housing tends to be shotgun houses, which to a northerner simply does not feel "urban."

Part of the issue regarding popular perceptions too is these are largely not the sunbelt southern megopolises most people go to. I'm aware cities like Houston used to have many historic neighborhoods, but they obliterated them when constructing their CBD and highways.
Which southern cities have you been to? Which other cities have shotgun houses? I don't see how a neighborhood comprised of shotgun houses makes it feel any less urban. Every block can't be rowhouse after rowhouse.
Houston used to have more urban neighborhoods but there are still quite a few: 3rd ward, 2nd ward, 5th ward, EaDo, Midtown, The Heights, Montrose, Museum District, and Neartown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top