U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times

Advertisements

^^My husband is from Omaha. I have asked him, many times, if he thinks Omaha is midwestern or Great Plains. His response? It's "Mid-Plains". Omaha seems very midwestern to me, a Pittsburgher currently living in metro Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,227,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
Talking about KC metro proper - no other metric makes sense when looking at metro
So which counties are we talking about in Missouri besides Jackson and Clay then? If we include counties surrounding KC to the N/E, E, S, and SE, then I agree, there is room for more evangelicals, and your numbers are probably correct. However, Jackson and Clay Counties are both predominantly Catholic.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,365,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Religion does not have that huge of a bearing on culture. if you had any common sense, you'd know that. I don't respect your point of view...you should just stick to being the stubborn, region-destroyer that you are. IF KC AND DALLAS ARE MORE SIMILAR TO EACH OTHER THAN KC IS TO CHICAGO, THEN INDIANAPOLIS IS MORE SIMILAR TO LOUISVILLE THAN CHICAGO. YOU'VE JUST EXTENDED THE SOUTH INTO ROUGHLY 50% of the Midwest. Which makes you, short and sweet, a lunatic. If you don't like what I'm saying, keep it to yourself or f*** off. If you'd ever set foot in any of these three cities like I have, you'd realize KC is a lot more like Chicago than Dallas. And even furthermore, it's more like Omaha and Des Moines than Dallas.
Region destroyer? LOL, I think you are giving me far too much credit.

I'll just note that you were the one to bring up religion to begin with. Sorry, but you don't get to make an argument about religion and then when it doesn't go your way minimalize it. And I never said I didn't like what you're saying. It's not something to be liked, it's something to be agreed or disagreed with. And I disagree.

Instead of launching personal attacks, why don't you actually try to refute what I'm saying with a reasonable, cogent argument supported by actual evidence? Again, you accuse me of being a lunatic but I've offered plenty of data to support my claim, where you have offered nothing but your opinion. Which is fine, you're entitled to that. But as they say you are not entitled to your own facts.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Region destroyer? LOL, I think you are giving me far too much credit.

I'll just note that you were the one to bring up religion to begin with. Sorry, but you don't get to make an argument about religion and then when it doesn't go your way minimalize it. And I never said I didn't like what you're saying. It's not something to be liked, it's something to be agreed or disagreed with. And I disagree.

Instead of launching personal attacks, why don't you actually try to refute what I'm saying with a reasonable, cogent argument supported by actual evidence? Again, you accuse me of being a lunatic but I've offered plenty of data to support my claim, where you have offered nothing but your opinion. Which is fine, you're entitled to that. But as they say you are not entitled to your own facts.
As who says...you? My gosh, Bluefox knows all...he created the universe and knows all of its secrets. And your definition of what makes KC more likely Dallas? Because KC is more socially conservative than Chicago, that makes it like Dallas? Dallas is strongly conservative...KC is moderate to even liberal...it has voted blue for awhile now. The only similarity you've really outlined is the presence of Protestants...among the most common group of religious people in the United States. And even then, KC's Catholic presence still outnumbers Dallas. Jackson County is more Catholic than it is Baptist. That alone is a huge difference from Dallas. There's your "reasonable and cogent" argument. If that still doesn't satisfy you, you must be some kind of crackhead for facts. Dallas is Southern. KC is Midwestern. That alone says all that is needed to say about it. And I'm not minimizing religion...religion is ONE characteristic of culture...you are taking ONE characteristic of culture and using it to say two cities are more alike. That is insane.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:29 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Another item that differentiates Kansas City region from the Midwest core is a general tendency to have poorer grade soils that tend to be much higher in clay content. Also, you can't plant most types of coniferous trees in Kansas City and expect them to do reasonably well compared to the vast majority of the Midwest. The extreme heat and scorching sun angle combined with a drought cycle usually lead to big problems with evergreen trees.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Another item that differentiates Kansas City region from the Midwest core is a general tendency to have poorer grade soils that tend to be much higher in clay content. Also, you can't plant most types of coniferous trees in Kansas City and expect them to do reasonably well compared to the vast majority of the Midwest. The extreme heat and scorching sun angle combined with a drought cycle usually lead to big problems with evergreen trees.
Kansas City is not the central Midwest, so of course it's going to have some differences. Kansas City is still in the Midwest. I know how badly you want it to be Southern though, so you'll throw anything you can at it. Linguistically, culturally, and for the most part demographically, KC is a Midwestern city.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Kansas City is not the central Midwest, so of course it's going to have some differences. Kansas City is still in the Midwest. I know how badly you want it to be Southern though, so you'll throw anything you can at it. Linguistically, culturally, and for the most part demographically, KC is a Midwestern city.
Someone from the Great Lakes region will quickly see that KC has few similarities with their region. Yes, linguistic and cultural differences exist between the two.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,319,213 times
Quote:
Someone from the Great Lakes region will quickly see that KC has few similarities with their region. Yes, linguistic and cultural differences exist between the two.
Of course, you could say that about different places in the Great Lakes region too. Linguistic and cultural differences exist between say, Duluth and Detroit which are more profound than those between KC and Cleveland.

And the same kind of vegetation/soil/biomes/ecoregions don't exist in Escanaba as in Eerie, PA either.

The flaw in your logic is obvious to everyone but you (or maybe including you).

Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,319,213 times
Quote:
Oh, so now "where conifers grow" is your working definition of midwest? Jesus, your getting so thin with this line of argument its laughable. Maybe you should tell the entirety of the southeastern US that it part of the midwest now, because of the piney woods they have there...just like Michigan!!!

And your "assessment" of the soil types around the KC region is just flat wrong. Anyone who has ever turned dirt for a living would have a good guffaw at your idea that NE KS and MW MO have "poor soil". As would every agricultural scientist, agronomist, economist, and ecologist.

Just for your reference, here's a map of the showing concentration of the best growing soil type on earth, mollisol, by land area:

Maybe you should just make the argument that KC is not the "real" midwest because you are from there, and you didn't like it, but you want to be able to say you like "the midwest". Anyone who has read your screeds knows can divine that pretty easily. It would save everyone time.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:58 AM

363 posts, read 617,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Omaha is a Democratic (Big D) city.

Yep, totally. Just look at who they just elected Mayor Seriously Omaha is split down the middle. The West is mostly moderate Republicans, while East Omaha is mostly democratic, but hardly liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or