U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Raccoon City
812 posts, read 1,071,137 times
Reputation: 1302

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
St. Louis easily is one of the most liberal cities in the country, that is a fact. Politically it is in the same bracket as Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc. Indianapolis is conservative, and one of the few major cities with a Republican mayor.
Indy, like Indiana, is moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,416 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
St. Louis easily is one of the most liberal cities in the country, that is a fact. Politically it is in the same bracket as Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc. Indianapolis is conservative, and one of the few major cities with a Republican mayor.
Indianapolis is comparably conservative because the old Republican leadership saw they were going to lose control of the city, and engineered a city-county merger in 1970. Thus a huge amount of conservative suburbs ended up within the city.

Admittedly, Marion County as a whole up until recently was significantly more conservative than somewhere like Cook County, Wayne County, or Cuyahoga County, so it's not just about that. But Central Indiana as a whole is much more right wing than the suburbs/rural areas around said cities as well, so the general lean of regions also plays a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,219 posts, read 17,954,379 times
Reputation: 14655
The only substantial difference is that the Great Lakes states are more industrialized than the Great Plains states. This explains the differences in political climate between the two. More industry in the Great Lakes states begets more labor unions, which is why those states trend more moderate to liberal than the conservative Great Plains states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 01:58 AM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,227,706 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Indy, like Indiana, is moderate.
I would say yes, and at the same time i'd say no. There's no question that Indiana is moderate to conservative, much like Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Eastern PA
92 posts, read 53,651 times
Reputation: 44
Culturally the Great Plains have much more in common with the west than they do with the Great Lakes or Midwest. I'm considering central to western ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, and TX as the Great Plains.
The political differences are pretty obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 09:15 AM
 
3,008 posts, read 4,326,978 times
Reputation: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Indianapolis is comparably conservative because the old Republican leadership saw they were going to lose control of the city, and engineered a city-county merger in 1970. Thus a huge amount of conservative suburbs ended up within the city.

Admittedly, Marion County as a whole up until recently was significantly more conservative than somewhere like Cook County, Wayne County, or Cuyahoga County, so it's not just about that. But Central Indiana as a whole is much more right wing than the suburbs/rural areas around said cities as well, so the general lean of regions also plays a factor.
Indiana state government is conservative. Indy is moderate. The gop power play for the at large ccc seats is at the state level. City doesn't have the power to enact that type of change. If pence is smart, he will veto that piece of legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Abby View Post
Culturally the Great Plains have much more in common with the west than they do with the Great Lakes or Midwest. I'm considering central to western ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, and TX as the Great Plains.
The political differences are pretty obvious.
Most of the residents of the largest cities in the Great Plains also look to the cities in the West and Southwest moreson than any in the Great Lakes region and the core of the Midwest. Also, look at migration trends. Many from the Great Plains states tend to move to states further south and west as well. They are more likely to take vacations to those same states and know far less about the Great Lakes states, most eastern states, and the Northwoods/North Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most of the residents of the largest cities in the Great Plains also look to the cities in the West and Southwest moreson than any in the Great Lakes region and the core of the Midwest. Also, look at migration trends. Many from the Great Plains states tend to move to states further south and west as well. They are more likely to take vacations to those same states and know far less about the Great Lakes states, most eastern states, and the Northwoods/North Country.
People from everywhere tend to move south and west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,570 posts, read 2,811,986 times
Reputation: 1591
...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Raccoon City
812 posts, read 1,071,137 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People from everywhere tend to move south and west.
My thought exactly. The Texas economy is beckoning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top