U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:22 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People from everywhere tend to move south and west.
That is true but you would be surprised at how little most people in Kansas City know about Chicago yet they are often quite familiar with Colorado or Texas... KC residents have a significant bias toward anything in the Sunbelt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
My thought exactly. The Texas economy is beckoning...
Texas is near the bottom of the list of states that I would move to and I really could care less about the economy there.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:32 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is true but you would be surprised at how little most people in Kansas City know about Chicago yet they are often quite familiar with Colorado or Texas... KC residents have a significant bias toward anything in the Sunbelt.
Actually, I probably would be surprised. My DH is from Omaha. When he was a kid, they rooted for Chicago teams before the KC teams came along. Omahans also look towards Minneapolis. Omahans do like to vacation in Colorado, probably b/c it's the closest mountain area.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM

639 posts, read 939,482 times
Quote:
NYC and DC are popular relocation cities among the KC youth. I also know several young people from KC that relocated to Chicago, they seemed to indicate that Chicago is another popular relocation spot among KC youth as well. I've also met a number of KC transplants in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
NYC and DC are popular relocation cities among the KC youth. I also know several young people from KC that relocated to Chicago, they seemed to indicate that Chicago is another popular relocation spot among KC youth as well. I've also met a number of KC transplants in the Tampa Bay area.
My evidence on the large out-migration of people from KC (particularly college educated ones) is the high percentage of people from my College and High School graduating classes that now live in other states. It is an incredibly high percentage. KC seems to be having a harder time retaining young talent, but that is a topic for a different thread.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-05-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 01:31 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,227,706 times
Quote:
Is this another one of your arguments trying to make KC Southern? If so, I can positively refute that KC residents know nothing about Chicago. They seem to know a lot about Des Moines, St. Louis, and Omaha. Maybe Minneapolis, that's where my line of factual support ends. Those cities I mentioned are also much closer to KC or as close as anyplace in Colorado or Dallas. Most people I know from KC don't really associate that much with Denver or Dallas. As vacation areas certainly, but as cities like KC, absolutely not.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
My evidence on the large out-migration of people from KC (particularly college educated ones) is the high percentage of people from my High School graduating class that now live in other states. It is an incredibly high percentage. KC seems to be having a harder time retaining young talent, but that is a topic for a different thread.
This map doesn't speak to the educational levels, but it does show more in-migration TO KC than out.
American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM

812 posts, read 1,071,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Is this another one of your arguments trying to make KC Southern? If so, I can positively refute that KC residents know nothing about Chicago. They seem to know a lot about Des Moines, St. Louis, and Omaha. Maybe Minneapolis, that's where my line of factual support ends. Those cities I mentioned are also much closer to KC or as close as anyplace in Colorado or Dallas. Most people I know from KC don't really associate that much with Denver or Dallas. As vacation areas certainly, but as cities like KC, absolutely not.
I wouldn't say nothing, but probably less than other Midwestern cities. However, like you said, the most logical reason for that is because KC is one of (if not the) furthest large metros from Chicago, retaliative to the Midwest. Hell, even outside the region, Pittsburgh is closer, and even Toronto gives KC a run for it's money in terms of distance.

KC faces West. I have family and friends from KC who've all been to or live(d) in Chicago, but still KC thinks of Chicago as much as Chicago thinks of KC I'm sure. Not until I moved to Indy did I really become curious about the Windy City.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,227,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I wouldn't say nothing, but probably less than other Midwestern cities. However, like you said, the most logical reason for that is because KC is one of (if not the) furthest large metros from Chicago, retaliative to the Midwest. Hell, even outside the region, Pittsburgh is closer, and even Toronto gives KC a run for it's money in terms of distance.

KC faces West. I have family and friends from KC who've all been to or live(d) in Chicago, but still KC thinks of Chicago as much as Chicago thinks of KC I'm sure. Not until I moved to Indy did I really become curious about the Windy City.
KC is not outside of the Midwest. Neither is Omaha. I'd say roughly the western half of Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas begin the transition from the Midwest to the West.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Incorrect. KC actually recieves a large percentage of its transplants from Sunbelt states across the board so the ties are and connections to those states and cities are significant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or