U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times

Advertisements

Rural northern Wisconsin, if I recall correctly...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,041,181 times
Vermont.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 AM

149 posts, read 268,168 times
Thanks for all your answers! I am positively surprised there is so many rural liberal areas in the US.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Rural northern New England has gay marriage. Maine by referendum vote, surprising considering its average age is old.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Here's a map I did after the 2012 election, attempting to figure out why each county voted for Obama.

Dark blue are urban counties - enough said.

Brown are counties which are either majority-minority, or where Obama's margin was small enough that minority voters alone account for the win.

Pink are counties where there is a major university. This often boosts local performance for Democrats.

Light Green are state capitals. Again, this tends to boost Democratic performance.

Yellow are some counties mostly in the west (especially Colorado), but also in a few places in the east, like Asheville and Key West. These are basically "resort counties" where rich liberals tend to settle to some degree.

Dark red are the rust-belt counties, which run from Upstate NY to Montana. These have concentrations of blue-collar work, and unionization, which again makes them a bit more liberal.

That leaves the three anomalous areas I talked about: New England (extending into central Upstate NY), a swathe of counties around the "driftless area" in the Midwest (plus a few to the northwest of this) and the Pacific Northwest/Northern California. These are colored in gold, orange, and dark green respectively.

If anyone knows something about a county which makes it misclassified, feel free to tell me.
Attached Thumbnails
Areas that are rural and socially liberal?-counties-alt.png  

Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 AM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Parts of the Big Island on Hawaii

most of Vermont

Western Mass

Taos County, New Mexico

San Juan Islands, WA

Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM

864 posts, read 1,687,704 times
Not what the OP was looking for I'm sure, but we have a few relatively left-leaning small towns here in Alaska, though the lines between pot smoking libertarians and gun toting hippies are very blurred here. Tough to tell when everybody wears Carhartts and flannel... But anyway, look into Homer, Girdwood, Talkeetna, Ester (on the outskirts of Fairbanks), or McCarthy if you want REALLY rural..

Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Not what the OP was looking for I'm sure, but we have a few relatively left-leaning small towns here in Alaska, though the lines between pot smoking libertarians and gun toting hippies are very blurred here. Tough to tell when everybody wears Carhartts and flannel... But anyway, look into Homer, Girdwood, Talkeetna, Ester (on the outskirts of Fairbanks), or McCarthy if you want REALLY rural..
I'll second Homer, AK as it did feel eclectic and full of free spirits. Very beautiful town on a bay surorunded by impressive mountains. Even the most jaded urbanite would be compelled to go fishing there. I caught a 15 pound halibut there and I don't even really like to fish, that day was fun though. Also the little village of Halibut Cove across the bay from Homer was cute, stopped into an art gallery where her work were art canvases done with octopus ink.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Here's a map I did after the 2012 election, attempting to figure out why each county voted for Obama.

Dark blue are urban counties - enough said.

Brown are counties which are either majority-minority, or where Obama's margin was small enough that minority voters alone account for the win.

Pink are counties where there is a major university. This often boosts local performance for Democrats.

Light Green are state capitals. Again, this tends to boost Democratic performance.

Yellow are some counties mostly in the west (especially Colorado), but also in a few places in the east, like Asheville and Key West. These are basically "resort counties" where rich liberals tend to settle to some degree.

Dark red are the rust-belt counties, which run from Upstate NY to Montana. These have concentrations of blue-collar work, and unionization, which again makes them a bit more liberal.

That leaves the three anomalous areas I talked about: New England (extending into central Upstate NY), a swathe of counties around the "driftless area" in the Midwest (plus a few to the northwest of this) and the Pacific Northwest/Northern California. These are colored in gold, orange, and dark green respectively.

If anyone knows something about a county which makes it misclassified, feel free to tell me.
That's a really interesting map, and very informative!
Since you asked...
Johnson Co., IA; Story Co., IA; and Black Hawk Co., IA should all be pink (that's where University of Iowa, Iowa State University, and University of Northern Iowa are, respectively).
Similarly, Linn Co., IA should not be pink.
I would argue that your threshold for "urban counties" is a little high. Omaha, Little Rock, Madison, Des Moines, and even Cedar Rapids all have a an urban-liberal vibe to them. Those are the cities I know best, at least. I could see an argument for Cedar Rapids as rust belt.

Really interesting, though! Very fun to look at.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM

307 posts, read 468,922 times
Most small towns I know of with truly liberal progressive scenes are arts colonies, Bisbee AZ, Taos, NM, Marfa, TX. It seems every state or region has an arts town that fits that description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or