U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times

Advertisements

I had a very pleasant time in Bluefield, VA/WV. Nice people. After a half a day there, I felt like I was part of their family. Nearby Princeton WV was nice, too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,926,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
It seems that Boone/Blowing Rock and Highlands are the only towns actually in the mountains. Most are in the valleys. Crossville is on a plateau. Not much there unless you are a retired golfer.

I vote for Blowing Rock because there is so much to do nearby. You could spend your days cruising the BRP. Buy a guidebook to the nearby waterfalls.
Blowing Rock is beautiful...went there last year and it snowed while I was there. There is a much larger shopping dining area downtown than I ever thought there would be. Lovely town!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
I agree regarding Blowing Rock. That area of the Blue Ridge Mountains is stunningly beautiful. Another suggestion is Banner Elk which is centrally located in the "High Country" area and has some nice lodging options. The NC High Country Host website is a good reference to the area.

The High Country Host, Boone NC Visitor Center and Travel Guide

Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Clemson is near the mountains, but I wouldn't call it a mountain town.
Technically, it is in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. So, I don't know if that is good enough for the OP.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Technically, it is in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. So, I don't know if that is good enough for the OP.
lol...my criteria is hillbilly...mountain...southern...string music...etc.

All the things I grew up with in Southwest Virginia.....I'm just trying to find other areas to take my wife to that are like this. She enjoyed SW Virginia when I took her home the first time so I just wanted to show her similar areas across these states.

For the sake of limiting the search radius i'll enclose the states (areas) i'm considering.
-East TN
-Southwest VA
-Western NC
-Upstate SC
-North GA
-Maybe Eastern KY

Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
l

For the sake of limiting the search radius i'll enclose the states (areas) i'm considering.
-East TN
-Southwest VA
-Western NC
-Upstate SC
-North GA
-Maybe Eastern KY
Maybe West Virginia too?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:43 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe West Virginia too?
Meh...WV is ok. I've been through WV a lot and i'm not particularly in love with it. I'm not a huge fan of Charleston or Huntington...Lewisburg is ok and so is White Sulphur Springs. Morgantown is too much a college town for what I'm going for in this vacation and a lot of the other towns (Parkersburg, Clarksburg, etc) have a quasi-midwestern feel with their proximity to Ohio and the architecture.

Harpers Ferry ain't too bad either but I'm more looking VA and on down.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,926,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah I've been to many a football game there...it's definitely hilly, but a hair shy of the mountains.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Whatever you do, don't take her to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg!

My husband and I like Cherokee, NC even though it is a little weird.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Meh...WV is ok. I've been through WV a lot and i'm not particularly in love with it. I'm not a huge fan of Charleston or Huntington...Lewisburg is ok and so is White Sulphur Springs. Morgantown is too much a college town for what I'm going for in this vacation and a lot of the other towns (Parkersburg, Clarksburg, etc) have a quasi-midwestern feel with their proximity to Ohio and the architecture.

Harpers Ferry ain't too bad either but I'm more looking VA and on down.
You could try the Caanan Valley of WV that includes Elkins and Snowshoe. However, they might not be nearly as southern as what you're looking for. The scenery and outdoor recreation in those areas are great, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.