U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,183,304 times

Advertisements

You should be fine. Using common sense is the best thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
If you're not from the south, you should be aware that southern states have very strict trespassing laws, and property owners who take it seriously. Even white people have to be very careful, if they get out to stretch their legs, to make sure they're not on somebody's private property.

It's only an anectodal example, but last year I met a whole carful of African Americans at a motel in Brownsville, Texas, who had just made the 1400-mile drive from Tampa Florida, for a funeral. Thay were all bouyant and cheerful, acting like they were having a wonderful trip.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-07-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,956,546 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrrX_oMI11M

Charlie Daniels Uneasy Rider - YouTube

Old 05-08-2013, 01:09 AM

550 posts, read 1,091,201 times
OP: The South is not as hostile to minorities as some people seem to think. Just like everywhere else in the world, there are good places and bad places. Use common sense and you should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Don't carry large sums of cash, there are several states (most notably Tennessee) that will seize it as "probable drug money" - and make it difficult to get it back.

NC5 Investigates: Policing for Profit - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports
Don't all states do this if you are arrested on drug charges?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:31 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
What about driving around by yourself in a place like New Mexico? Been there as a kids and I want to go back and see those mountains. no one wants to go with me. I was told not to go to Arizona, it might be exagerations, but i really dont know. I'm Canadian of hispanic background and will be driving around with Canadian plates. I want to drive down as far the organ mountains in southern New Mexico and Maybe to the Guadalupe Mountains in Texas.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What about driving around by yourself in a place like New Mexico? Been there as a kids and I want to go back and see those mountains. no one wants to go with me. I was told not to go to Arizona, it might be exagerations, but i really dont know. I'm Canadian of hispanic background and will be driving around with Canadian plates. I want to drive down as far the organ mountains in southern New Mexico and Maybe to the Guadalupe Mountains in Texas.
I wouldnt be worried about license plates i would be more worried about keeping water in your car and staying hydrated.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 AM

1,977 posts, read 1,816,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Always wanted to drive across the USA as one of those "bucket list" things. That being said, I'm a minority. If I get off the beaten path in the deep south and stop to get gas or something to eat, am I in for trouble?
Absurd

Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,107,318 times
Just don't go looking for trouble?

By assuming white people are going to judge you or even verbally or physically attack you just because they're white and you're not reveals your prejudice. You can't judge 200 million white people on the thoughts or actions of a few. It's not the 1960s in Birmingham. You'll be fine. If anything, you should worry about getting into a car accident. That's easily 100,000 times more likely to happen to you than getting verbally or physically attacked by some white racist. Keep safe.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Are you jewish? Ive met a bunch of people down south who had never met a jew before which I thought was strange but theres just not a big concentration of them down there. I have a very jewish last name so when I handed my credit card to the cashier to buy something they asked me about it. Not hostile, just very curious.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Are you jewish? Ive met a bunch of people down south who had never met a jew before which I thought was strange but theres just not a big concentration of them down there. I have a very jewish last name so when I handed my credit card to the cashier to buy something they asked me about it. Not hostile, just very curious.
Some southern cities have large numbers of Jews...so it's not the entire South, but probably the more rural areas. I'm sure it's like that in lots of rural areas around the country.

I'm curious - how would someone who claims to have never even met a Jew possibly recognize a Jewish name? That seems odd to me. Also, Jewish people aren't immediately recognizable to everyone right? So people probably don't usually know when they have or haven't met a Jew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or