U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 AM

483 posts, read 1,072,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The BBC "Top Gear" team drove across Alabama, and it was pretty frightening, even if you're just British:

Extra: "Top Gear" in Alabama - YouTube
Well that was just flat out stupid, and they were doing it on purpose to antagonize people.

I wonder what would happen if Americans drove through rural England and did something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM

565 posts, read 821,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Well that was just flat out stupid, and they were doing it on purpose to antagonize people.

I wonder what would happen if Americans drove through rural England and did something similar?
Top Gear likes antagonizing people. They probably would respond with weird looks and snarky comments, not threats of violence over homosexuality which is much more widely accepted in England than in the deep South US.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
Quote:

You see a lot of peoples "opinions" scrawled across people vehicles out here in Orange County. Of all political and social persuasions.

You know what we do? Nothing, except write the driver of as a sincere looney.

I've seen "redneck hospitality" up close. The most recent being some redneck in O'Fallon, Missouri wanting to beat me up, and calling me an N****r Loving Obama Voter merely because I had California plates on my car.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You see a lot of peoples "opinions" scrawled across people vehicles out here in Orange County. Of all political and social persuasions.

You know what we do? Nothing, except write the driver of as a sincere looney.

I've seen "redneck hospitality" up close. The most recent being some redneck in O'Fallon, Missouri wanting to beat me up, and calling me an N****r Loving Obama Voter merely because I had California plates on my car.
You are making a false analogy. I have been in the OC many times, I have never seen a car literally spray painted with "I Heart Obama" or whatever other slogan you want. And those opinions are those usually genuinely held by the people that drive/own the vehicles. They are using that to express their beliefs, not to deliberately antagonize those that do not share those beliefs for purposes of good TV.

Let's be real here. Top Gear wanted a response from those "rednecks", and they got one. Plain and simple. You don't go into someone's backyard and kick his dog too.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You are making a false analogy. I have been in the OC many times, I have never seen a car literally spray painted with "I Heart Obama" or whatever other slogan you want. And those opinions are those usually genuinely held by the people that drive/own the vehicles. They are using that to express their beliefs, not to deliberately antagonize those that do not share those beliefs for purposes of good TV.

Let's be real here. Top Gear wanted a response from those "rednecks", and they got one. Plain and simple. You don't go into someone's backyard and kick his dog too.
I guess you've never been here long enough. You'll see them. Most of them are praise Jesus type deals.

My favorite loonie is the one that drives a beatup pick truck, decorated with American Flags, fake Missile Launchers and messaged all over with an anti-liberal/anti-Obama manifesto.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I guess you've never been here long enough. You'll see them. Most of them are praise Jesus type deals.

My favorite loonie is the one that drives a beatup pick truck, decorated with American Flags, fake Missile Launchers and messaged all over with an anti-liberal/anti-Obama manifesto.
I'm not denying there may be some, let's just say, "colorful" people in certain areas of this country. Heck that's why I started this thread in the first place.

That being said, my point was that Top Gear clip is hardly an example of what to expect while driving through Alabama.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM

I'm sure they did a lot of baiting, but normal people would not have reacted like the dumbarse rednecks in the video.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they did a lot of baiting, but normal people would not have reacted like the dumbarse rednecks in the video.
Both sides were in the wrong there, nuff said.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,504,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Exactly.

We've moved on to financial and political discrimination now.
T is for time to leave, cash chucker!

Cash Chuckers - Video Clips - South Park Studios
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...case-t-burning

Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM

5,215 posts, read 3,630,568 times
Quote:
Always wanted to drive across the USA as one of those "bucket list" things. That being said, I'm a minority. If I get off the beaten path in the deep south and stop to get gas or something to eat, am I in for trouble?
I think you will have a good time. One caution, if you get real friendly with some of the local boys (I don't like the term redneck and a lot of them don't also) and they invite you to go snipe hunting, turn them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or