U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm definitely not saying there aren't racist people there...there definitely are. When I lived in Boston I would hear racist stuff, when I've visited NYC I've heard racist stuff...even out in Denver. It's literally everywhere.

I was simply talking about the history of the region. If you check out these stats

Lynchings of Black People between 1882-1968:
Miss: 539
Alabama: 299
Georgia: 492
South Carolina: 156

Total: 1,486

Mass: 0
Connecticut: 0
New Hampshire: 0
Vermont: 0
Maine: 0
Rhode Island: 0

New England: 0

(if you look at the 'back' page, you'll see Mass, RI, CT, and NH aren't included in the stat because there were no lynchings in between 1882-1968)

So yes, while there are definitely racist people in New England/Maine, the history of violence against blacks simply isn't there.
Oh, I definitely agree that the history of violence isn't there. But I believe a lot of that has to do with the fact that there really aren't many blacks in New England outside of Roxbury. Especially in the 19th and early 20th centuries. You can't have a confrontation with someone who isn't there. Unless you're insane, of course, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 11:37 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,689,889 times
If you are black and you happen to drive thru North Carolina, be sure to avoid Denton, NC! This is a very racist place that is hostile and unwelcoming to blacks! Last summer, there was an independant pro wrestling card scheduled to take place there and the black wrestlers that were supposed to appear on the card received death threats from the KKK! The wrestling promoters told the black wrestlers not to appear on the show because of those threats! In the past, all of Davidson County was very racist, I grew up there so I know firsthand about how racist it was, but it seems to have improved somewhat compared to what it used to be, largely in part to an influx of Latino and SE Asian immigrants to other parts of the County, but things have not changed at all in Denton, which is all white!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 05-30-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,142,569 times
In the Bos-Wash corridor, Rising Sun, MD is known for a lot of KKK members. That said, I know a guy who is black and goes to parties in Rising Sun all the time. No matter where you go, the odds of experiencing race-related violence is very slim and most people are friendly to everybody.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM

567 posts, read 910,255 times
Most everywhere is okay enough. It's these weird little pockets you have to watch out for.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,689,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCaleb92 View Post
Yeah, but I can't really see anyone having a problem if they drive the main busy roads.
I agree! When I travel somewhere, I make sure to stay as close to an interstate as possible and not take too many back roads! I'm not trying to end up in some podunk hick town where something could happen to me because I'm an outsider!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 AM

843 posts, read 1,377,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Always wanted to drive across the USA as one of those "bucket list" things. That being said, I'm a minority. If I get off the beaten path in the deep south and stop to get gas or something to eat, am I in for trouble?
You won't be in trouble if you apply common sense.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:41 AM

843 posts, read 1,377,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Actually, reading Stephen King, the way he depicts life in small Maine towns sounds a lot like the Deep South. If he didn't add in the New England dialect, I honestly wouldn't know if we were in Maine or Mississippi. He also depicts many racist characters up there as well. I would think that if anybody would know about small town life in Maine he would.
I've heard that some small towns in Maine hate outsiders, even if you are white.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,504,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Oh, I definitely agree that the history of violence isn't there. But I believe a lot of that has to do with the fact that there really aren't many blacks in New England outside of Roxbury. Especially in the 19th and early 20th centuries. You can't have a confrontation with someone who isn't there. Unless you're insane, of course, lol.
Very true...however the most populated states in New England (CT, MA) are in the middle of the pack when it comes to black populations. Regardless, the thought that these areas are racist will probably always be with them...unfortunately Boston has been unable to shed that tag too.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 AM

567 posts, read 910,255 times
Well, it's a lot better these days than when my parents were kids. I've heard some seriously f'ed up stories from back then (50s, 60s, into the 70s) about minority families going on the Great American Road Trip like any other family and having something bad happen. But this was in decades past, it's definitely gotten better.

Here's an interesting bit of history: the Negro Motorist Green Book.

Guidebook that aided black travelers during segregation reveals vastly different D.C.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault..._american.html

Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 PM

203 posts, read 262,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Always wanted to drive across the USA as one of those "bucket list" things. That being said, I'm a minority. If I get off the beaten path in the deep south and stop to get gas or something to eat, am I in for trouble?
LOL - I've done it, I'm a Black Woman.

Now the key is to stick to major highways and roadways, travel during the daylight hours (sleep at night) and have your hotels (no motels!!) mapped out ahead of time. Make sure you have a good cell, a gps, a good Rand McNally Map (and no how to read it) and AAA (triple A automotive).

You will be fine!

Happy Trails!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or