U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,881 posts, read 10,383,727 times
Reputation: 8050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Hmmm I've never had a Phili micro brew. Mind suggesting any? I'm in michigan which shouldn't be too far for most distribution, we get plenty of east coast brews here, I've just never seen any from Phili.
Philly is one of the best cities for beer distribution The East Coast but there are plenty local brews too.

I don't know what microbrews would be available in MI but I'm generally a fan of Victory, Yards, Dogfish Head, Philadelphia Brewing Company, Slyfox, Flying Fish. Of course Yuengling is probably the most well known. If ever in town, Iron Hill, Nodding Head, Manayunk Brew Pub and Earth Bread and Brewery are cool restaurants/breweries to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
3,067 posts, read 2,107,384 times
Reputation: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philly is one of the best cities for beer distribution The East Coast but there are plenty local brews too.

I don't know what microbrews would be available in MI but I'm generally a fan of Victory, Yards, Dogfish Head, Philadelphia Brewing Company, Slyfox, Flying Fish. Of course Yuengling is probably the most well known. If ever in town, Iron Hill, Nodding Head, Manayunk Brew Pub and Earth Bread and Brewery are cool restaurants/breweries to check out.
if you're claiming Dogfish Head then you have a pretty liberal definition of "Philadelphia". Don't know enough about the others to know offhand if they too are located in Philadelphia, Delaware or Philadelphia, Maryland or something (although I have had Victory before)

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 05-10-2013 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: edit to say that Victory is located 33 miles out of Philly...that's debatable, heh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,881 posts, read 10,383,727 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
if you're claiming Dogfish Head then you have a pretty liberal definition of "Philadelphia". Don't know enough about the others to know offhand if they too are located in Philadelphia, Delaware or Philadelphia, Maryland or something (although I have had Victory before)
True about Dogfish Head but it's in Delaware, which is part of Philly's tri-state area and a very popular beach destination, but it is definitely the least "Philadelphia" of those I listed. Breweries are usually in the surrounding area-not the city. PBC and Yards are in the city as well as the other breweries I mentioned. Besides, it seems every single topic on this forum seems to revolve around MSAs and CSAs.

Now Victory in Dowingtown is clearly a Philadelphia area beer-I don't see how you could say otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 AM
 
21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Reputation: 19627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philly is one of the best cities for beer distribution The East Coast but there are plenty local brews too.

I don't know what microbrews would be available in MI but I'm generally a fan of Victory, Yards, Dogfish Head, Philadelphia Brewing Company, Slyfox, Flying Fish. Of course Yuengling is probably the most well known. If ever in town, Iron Hill, Nodding Head, Manayunk Brew Pub and Earth Bread and Brewery are cool restaurants/breweries to check out.
Yuengling is brewed in Pottsville, PA (100 miles west of Philly) and in Tampa, FL. It seems Philly's influence has reached epic proportion once again on City-Data...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,881 posts, read 10,383,727 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yuengling is brewed in Pottsville, PA (100 miles west of Philly) and in Tampa, FL. It seems Philly's influence has reached epic proportion once again on City-Data...
Tampa? Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the country and currently rivals Sam Adams as the largest brewery by volume. Before that it was entrenched in Philadelphia beer culture and obviously it's history is tied with Philadelphia. Yuengling is definitely a Philly beer, but I guess maybe it is more a "Pennsylvanian beer"-maybe the only thing that unites us.

You seem to belong on a more technical thread discussing CSA changes in Disposal Income among minorities between Q42012-Q12013. This thread is about drinking for crying out loud....and it's Friday. I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:32 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
3,067 posts, read 2,107,384 times
Reputation: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
True about Dogfish Head but it's in Delaware, which is part of Philly's tri-state area and a very popular beach destination, but it is definitely the least "Philadelphia" of those I listed. Breweries are usually in the surrounding area-not the city. PBC and Yards are in the city as well as the other breweries I mentioned. Besides, it seems every single topic on this forum seems to revolve around MSAs and CSAs.

Now Victory in Dowingtown is clearly a Philadelphia area beer-I don't see how you could say otherwise.
I don't know the exurbs of Philly well enough to know if 33 miles away is "clearly a Philadelphia area beer"...closest I ever got to Philly was Trenton, NJ in 1998ish. Philly and all its suburbs/exurbs/outlying areas are lost on me, personally, so I don't know if 33 miles is clearly still in the area, periphery, or...a stretch

All in fun, though, man...I don't take any of this very seriously. Well, in this subforum anyway. I'd claim Southern Tier for Buffalo if I could because they are such a good brewery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:34 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
3,067 posts, read 2,107,384 times
Reputation: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Tampa? Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the country and currently rivals Sam Adams as the largest brewery by volume. Before that it was entrenched in Philadelphia beer culture and obviously it's history is tied with Philadelphia.

You seem to belong on a more technical thread discussing CSA changes in Disposal Income among minorities between Q42012-Q12013. This thread is about drinking for crying out loud.
Guessing they opened a secondary brewery in Tampa, much like Sierra Nevada in the Asheville area and Lagunitas in Chicago[land]? That said, if Pottsville is Philly then I probably can claim Jamestown area (Southern Tier) for Buffalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 AM
 
21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Reputation: 19627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Tampa? Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the country and currently rivals Sam Adams as the largest brewery by volume. Before that it was entrenched in Philadelphia beer culture and obviously it's history is tied with Philadelphia.

You seem to belong on a more technical thread discussing CSA changes in Disposal Income among minorities between Q42012-Q12013. This thread is about drinking for crying out loud.
I'm correcting your implication that Yuengling is produced in Philly and a "Philly Beer". Pottsville and Tampa aren't near Philly....get it yet? Thread relevant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
3,067 posts, read 2,107,384 times
Reputation: 3965
And yeah, none of this is actually relevant to the original topic. I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that Philly has a great happy hour scene, regardless of where the beers being consumed are ultimately produced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,881 posts, read 10,383,727 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I don't know the exurbs of Philly well enough to know if 33 miles away is "clearly a Philadelphia area beer"...closest I ever got to Philly was Trenton, NJ in 1998ish. Philly and all its suburbs/exurbs/outlying areas are lost on me, personally, so I don't know if 33 miles is clearly still in the area, periphery, or...a stretch

All in fun, though, man...I don't take any of this very seriously. Well, in this subforum anyway. I'd claim Southern Tier for Buffalo if I could because they are such a good brewery
I was only trying to give you an idea of Philly area beers that you may be able to get in Michigan.

Honestly, you sound a little ridiculous talking about whether 30 Miles out is still considered the suburbs of one of the largest cities in the country. I don't care what you include as Philly beer or not; I was just trying to be helpful. Sheesh, this is why I smoke weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top