Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, I live in a city where I think happy-hours dont really have an active participation. Dunno if it maybe my age or the company that I keep. But most of the people whom I ask to partake in a happy hour, decline. They would rather go home or elsewhere. Not saying the happy hour scene is totally lacking...but just saying I've seen more livelier happy hours in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Try a place with extremely heavy traffic.

The only reason I can think of to sit in a bar instead of going home would be to wait for the traffic to thin out.

Or, you could always drink alone. Most places now are very strict about drinking and driving, so most folks do not want any booze before they drive home.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM

287 posts, read 340,949 times
Philadelphia has the best happy hours, given that we're the #1 city for beer and pubs in America.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Unfortunately, I live in a city where I think happy-hours dont really have an active participation. Dunno if it maybe my age or the company that I keep. But most of the people whom I ask to partake in a happy hour, decline. They would rather go home or elsewhere. Not saying the happy hour scene is totally lacking...but just saying I've seen more livelier happy hours in other cities.
If you worked in the banking industry, I'm sure it would be a bit different.

But from what I hear, DC is a pretty big happy-hour city, which makes sense.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
IDK if I agree with BigGeo that we're number one, but Philadelphia does have some great happy hour spots. Would think Chicago and Boston do as well.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you worked in the banking industry, I'm sure it would be a bit different.

But from what I hear, DC is a pretty big happy-hour city, which makes sense.
I've lived in both DC and Philadelphia....DC happy hours blow away Philly's. DC has the ability to work without draconian liquor laws to offer 2-in-1 and even 3-in-1 cocktails, and has much more diversity in terms of options with lots of outdoor patio options Philly doesn't have due to it's mostly narrow streets/sidewalks. Many DC restaurants/bars offer crazy cheap appetizer/food deals with happy hour as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Try a place with extremely heavy traffic.

The only reason I can think of to sit in a bar instead of going home would be to wait for the traffic to thin out.

Or, you could always drink alone. Most places now are very strict about drinking and driving, so most folks do not want any booze before they drive home.
I would say a place where people don't have to worry about any traffic. Happy hours are huge in Chicago, especially downtown. It's certainly helpful that almost no one drives to work, so people are either taking the L or buses to their house in the city or sitting on the Metra and then doing a quick drive home once they reach the burbs.

No one cares really about the drinking and driving because people who live in the city won't be driving at all, and the Metra people (from what I've seen), will still party down, then take the train 20 minutes to an hour and do the "quick drive home" as they say.

Bars around the central business district are packed at 5pm almost every night of the week. On Thursdays and Fridays they fill up before 5pm and will normally stay packed straight through till close. Especially with warmer weather. At my job we do mass happy hours maybe once every two months, and will always have to send a few people out at 4:30pm to try and secure a few tables somewhere before everything becomes jammed.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Key West

Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Philadelphia has the best happy hours, given that we're the #1 city for beer and pubs in America.

Hmmm I've never had a Phili micro brew. Mind suggesting any? I'm in michigan which shouldn't be too far for most distribution, we get plenty of east coast brews here, I've just never seen any from Phili.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:21 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You need to think harder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.