U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
282 posts, read 358,435 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I use the decennial figures to gauge growth because they are official. The yearly estimates can be waaaayyy off and often are.

Going by city and metro population, Columbia grew faster in the previous decade. Greenville's UA did grow by more though.
But in the past few years, Greenville's growth has increased significantly. I don't use city population numbers that often because in South Carolina they don't say the correct size of a city. I usually use urban, MSA, or CSA numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
 
29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Reputation: 18435
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgartm1185 View Post
But in the past few years, Greenville's growth has increased significantly. I don't use city population numbers that often because in South Carolina they don't say the correct size of a city. I usually use urban, MSA, or CSA numbers.
I agree with you concerning city population. Greenville's growth is about the same as that as Charleston and Columbia, more or less. All three are growing at similar rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
282 posts, read 358,435 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with you concerning city population. Greenville's growth is about the same as that as Charleston and Columbia, more or less. All three are growing at similar rates.
Agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,357,535 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Alabama: Montgomery, Mobile, and Huntsville could all easily overtaken Birmingham

Connecticut: New Haven, Hartford, Stamford, and Waterbury could all overtaken Bridgeport

Iowa: Cedar Rapids over Des Moines, but this might take awhile.

Maine: Lewiston over Portland..not happening soon though

Minnesota: St. Paul with the outside chance versus Minneapolis...would take awhile probably

Montana: Missoula over Billings...awhile

New Hampshire: Nashua over Manchester

New Jersey: Jersey City over Newark

North Dakota: Bismarck over Fargo...awhile

South Carolina: Columbia over Charleston

Tennessee: Nashville over Memphis

Utah: West Valley City over Salt Lake City.....awhile

West Virginia: Huntington over Charleston

Wyoming: Casper over Cheyenne
Montgomery has a slight chance of overtaking Birmingham in city population, but even then Birmingham will still be the largest metro by far. Huntsville and Mobile have no chance of doing so.

City Populations:
Birmingham 212K
Montgomery 205K
Mobile 195K
Huntsville 180K

Metro Populations:
Birmingham 1.1-1.2 million
Mobile 591K
Huntsville 417K
Montgomery 374K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
 
29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Reputation: 18435
I think Montgomery will overtake Birmingham in city population by the next census.

I know that Birmingham is by far the largest metro, but given that size difference, it's a shame that Birmingham has declined to the point where a much smaller city in reality is on the verge of becoming more populous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,357,535 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think Montgomery will overtake Birmingham in city population by the next census.

I know that Birmingham is by far the largest metro, but given that size difference, it's a shame that Birmingham has declined to the point where a much smaller city in reality is on the verge of becoming more populous.
Yeah it is a shame, but I think Birmingham will hold on for dear life to its largest city status in the next census.

There hasnt been a major influx of people moving to Montgomery, most of its growth is due to annexation, and it doesnt have 30 other suburbs surrounding it, like Birmingham does.

Then again it might take something like losing its largest city status to get people in Birmingham to wake up and get their s**t together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
282 posts, read 358,435 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Yeah it is a shame, but I think Birmingham will hold on for dear life to its largest city status in the next census.

There hasnt been a major influx of people moving to Montgomery, most of its growth is due to annexation, and it doesnt have 30 other suburbs surrounding it, like Birmingham does.

Then again it might take something like losing its largest city status to get people in Birmingham to wake up and get their s**t together.
Well, even if it does lose it's largest city status, it still has the biggest urban area, MSA, and CSA by a lot.

Urban Area
Birmingham - 749,495
Montgomery - 263,907
Metropolitan Statistical Area
Birmingham - 1,128,047
Montgomery - 374,536
Combined Statistical Area
Birmingham - 1,302,652
Montgomery - 417,965
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 AM
 
1,000 posts, read 1,502,555 times
Reputation: 729
I think Fargo will keep the #1 spot in North Dakota for a while, but I think the rival city isn't Bismarck, I think it's Williston. With the oil boom, it has grown by more than 2,000 people in a year (14k to 16k), but the mayor says the population could have almost doubled since 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 PM
 
890 posts, read 1,078,796 times
Reputation: 1051
The St. Louis metro has a million more people than the Kansas City metro, so there's no question which city is truly bigger and more influential. St. Louis City is just 61 sq. miles while KC is over 300 sq. miles. St Louis would probably be double the size of KC if its land area was that big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 01:55 PM
 
2,200 posts, read 2,317,882 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
The St. Louis metro has a million more people than the Kansas City metro, so there's no question which city is truly bigger and more influential. St. Louis City is just 61 sq. miles while KC is over 300 sq. miles. St Louis would probably be double the size of KC if its land area was that big.
And KC would be nearly the same size as St Louis if its land area were that small.

The biggest or, maybe a better way to say it is, most effective difference between the "size" of the 2 are the significant urban inner ring suburbs of St Louis in the county, which KC lacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top