U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times

Advertisements

Some people think Dallas is the second largest city in Texas.
It is not. San Antonio actually has more people and not slowing down.

If the growth rates continue Dallas may be passed by both Austin and Fort Worth.
The two had aggressive annexation policies last decade and have lots of room to grow.

Dallas is landlocked and all the multifamily units are being occupird by singles while families flock to the burbs.

I wouldnt be surprised if the cities were as follows in 3030

1. Houston 2.7M
2. San Antonio 1.8M
3. Austin 1.3M
4. Fort Worth 1.25M
5. Dallas 1.2M
6. El Paso 880K
7. Arlington 450K
8. Plano 450K
9. Corpus Christi 400K
10. Laredo 350K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 01:01 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
1.1 million in Raleigh msa
2.3 million in Charlotte msa.

Charlotte is twice as big as Raleigh and denser. Trust me , it feels much larger....
If you want to cherry pick stats, it can come back to bite you.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,569,521 times
LA surpassed SF in like the 1920's. Since then the gap has increased by a W-I-D-E margin. SF hasn't even hit 850K while Los Angeles is pushing 4 Million. The growth of San Jose and San Diego are pretty benign compared to LA. LA will never be surpassed in CA and by city proper population LA is more than twice the size of the next largest city in the state. The Bay Area is the ONLY reason IMO why LA is not a 'Primate City' in CA.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:16 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,598,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjustgetsworse View Post
Atlanta isn't a real big city, it's projected to be surpassed in population by Athens, Georgia by the year 2030.
Atlanta isn't a real big city??? Lol. Umm, please tell me how you came to that conclusion because as country and sprawly as it may be, it is a "real" big city.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,744,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
As illustrated above....many Charlotte people are very insecure about the fact that the Raleigh/Triangle area is growing at a faster rate than Charlotte's and that the gap between the two narrows every year. I don't really know why they are so bothered by this as the rampant growth of the Triangle is actually pretty unflattering and was one of the reasons why we left several years ago. But still, Charlotte's metro does not feel much larger than the Triangle (as a whole, not the arbitrarily defined Raleigh MSA which is separate from the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA even though the two function as one metropolitan region in every sense of the word); and that's because it isn't that much bigger.

Uuuh , none of us are insecure about Raleigh at all. Too be honest Raleigh is not even in the same league or tier. Our metro is bigger by over a million people sooo..... Lol

FYI: Charlottes MSA has 2.3 million in 3,200 sq miles.

Raleigh has 1.1 million in 5,000 sq miles

Again soooooo......

Old 05-25-2013, 09:18 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,744,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If you want to cherry pick stats, it can come back to bite you.

Uuuuh what stat has been cherry picked. Uh census numbers don't lie. Fine lets use GDP from 2010:
Raleigh: 45 million GDP
Charlotte: 117 million GDP

By the way Charlottes has added an additional 600,000 people in the 2012 msa so you are looking at least another 25 million in gdp soooo...

Old 05-25-2013, 09:48 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Jersey City will pass Newark at some point.
Yes, in 2080 if recent growth rates continue.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,857,898 times
Nice to see that this has turned into a full-blown Charlotte/Raleigh slap fight.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:45 AM

9,383 posts, read 9,532,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Nice to see that this has turned into a full-blown Charlotte/Raleigh slap fight.
Most threads become Philly VS DC at least this is refreshing.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 PM

601 posts, read 791,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
As illustrated above....many Charlotte people are very insecure about the fact that the Raleigh/Triangle area is growing at a faster rate than Charlotte's and that the gap between the two narrows every year.
Please don't generalize "many" people from Charlotte based on one user's post. I'm from Charlotte, and I adore the growth in both Charlotte and Triangle (and Triad), and I won't mind if the Triangle one day surpassed Charlotte in population one day. Matter of fact, I doubt most people in Charlotte would care either way (or simply not know).

With that said, it's interesting to note that while the Triangle's CSA has added a few more people than Charlotte in the past two years, Charlotte did add more people between 2000 and 2010. Both metros are basically in a virtual tie, and it could go either way within the next couple of decades. I do see Charlotte maintaining the title of the largest city in North Carolina, and Wake County becoming the largest county in the state. As long as Raleigh's and Durham's MSA remain separated, neither will ever pass Charlotte's MSA population. If you're going by CSA, going by the most recent growing trends, it'll probably take more than two or three decades for Raleigh's CSA to pass Charlotte's (they've added 6k more people in the last two years than Charlotte has). This is also ignoring any possible definition changes, like any counties that get added or dropped to either city's CSA/MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or