Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 03:52 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Do residents of your metros central city leave for weekend daytrips to the country or do Suburbanites flood the city?
In the Boston area every weekend Memorial day- Labor day there is a mass exodus to New Hampshire or the cape by Bostonians and suburbanites alike. Then during school vacations similar thing happen for skiing and such.
I know lots of NYers go out to Long Island or Upstate but that seems more balanced out by inbound people from NNJ than that of Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I'd day for the Bay Area it's fairly balanced. Plenty of people come into the city on the weekends from the suburbs but plenty of city people leave during the weekends too to the Wine County, Monterey/Carmel, Tahoe, etc.. along with some from the suburbs.

When I lived in San Diego the city and metro filled up every weekend during summer. Not a ton of people really leeft town and tons of people would stream in from Arizona and LA/OC.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
For Atlanta, I think it's some of both and it mostly depends on what's going on in the city that weekend. A lot of folks from surrounding towns/states come into town for the weekend and during the spring and summer in particular, a lot of residents head to the coast.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:33 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
I live in a college town. It fills up on weekends during football season, empties out on weekends outside of football season, and becomes a virtual ghost town during the summer.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
For Denver, it's a bit of both. If there's a sporting event such as a Rockies game, Broncos game, etc, people go into the city for it. City dwellers and suburbanites alike go camping in the summer and skiing in the winter.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
During the summer in Minneapolis-St. Paul it seems like almost half of the metro area disperses up into "Lake Country" north into MN and WI on the weekends, so it really empties out. I think during the holiday season in the winter (and before a lot of snow birds flock to the Sun Belt for the winter) a lot of people flock into the Cities from outstate to shop and take part in the local activities.

So although it may be "both", it's much moreso a place that people vacate during the summer season -- so many people take advantage of the warm weather and sunshine to get out to the lake to go to the beach, fish, boat, or whatever....it's so fun!

In Cleveland I don't notice anything like this near to the same extent. I hear about a LOT of people going to the Carolina's once or twice a year or Put-in-bay, a chain of islands on Lake Erie that is mostly aimed for the 21+ crowd.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Chicago fills up no matter what time of year it is, but in the winter is when most residents do their traveling. During the summer it's best to stay put for obvious reasons

Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
The Orlando area tends to empty out a bit in terms of residents. Being in the middle of the state nowhere near water tends to be a bummer in the hot, humid summers.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:49 PM

34 posts, read 59,668 times
Depends what season. During Winter we often see huge amounts of people come for vacations from all over the place, especially during Spring Training. But in summer, if you can leave, you leave.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Chicago is mixed. Residents will leave for Michigan and Wisconsin (try driving to those place on Friday afternoon or back on Sunday afternoon - hell). On the flip side though many suburban people as well as tourists, mostly from the midwest who make weekend trips, will flood the center of the city and areas of the north side. Overall it's a very high net increase.....which is also why many residents are fine leaving over the nice weekends.

One thing is certain though, people are all hanging outdoors from May through October. It's a flood of people taking the weather while they can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.