U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 PM

490 posts, read 898,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You need to sit and rethink your budget. You'll have more than two entries on your budget, such as utilities, internet access, cell phone costs and public transit costs for starters. Then there's entertainment (bars, restaurants, concerts, etc) and miscellaneous incidentals like clothing or other non-food items. Plus $300 a month for food breaks down to a bit over $10 per day. Unless you plan on living on fast food Dollar Menus (and an early grave) you may want to rethink that too.
I gather you don't cook, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 10,043 times
I'm comfortable with either a small city or large city. I grew up in Atlanta and lived in Athens for college. If I could find something like Athens that would be awesome. As for cooking I'm not someone who eats out much. I'm an awesome cook and prefer to cook at home. Of course I take into consideration other utilities but for the sake of argument I prefer to keep it out of this discussion, since I keep my nut(utility cost) as low as possible.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,636,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt89 View Post
I'm comfortable with either a small city or large city. I grew up in Atlanta and lived in Athens for college. If I could find something like Athens that would be awesome. As for cooking I'm not someone who eats out much. I'm an awesome cook and prefer to cook at home. Of course I take into consideration other utilities but for the sake of argument I prefer to keep it out of this discussion, since I keep my nut(utility cost) as low as possible.

Check out Richmond, VA. There are two neighborhoods that you would probably like: The Fan and Church Hill. Here are some pictures of the Fan:

The Fan Area Historic District ‹ Fan of the Fan

The Fan is also adjacent the Museum District which has the same style. Churchill is also stylistically similar to the Fan, but some parts of are undergoing gentrification. Churchill is located on the other side of the city though. In between those two districts are Monroe Ward, the Business District, and Shockoe bottom. Shockoe Bottom is where most of the nightlife is in the city, but it's very fratty. That district also contains lofts where a lot of young professionals live, but they're more expensive and you could save more living in the first two districts I mentioned(preferably the Fan) while saving a lot more and still having access to the amenities that are found in that district.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,768,844 times
Road trip!

Chattanooga, Knoxville, Asheville, Blacksburg, Roanoake, Charlottesville, Richmond, Pittsburgh, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville.

OK forget Pgh if it is too far north - but it has a lot going for it.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:50 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Boston, Denver, and Minneapolis are really considered the prime cities for young people right now.

You really can't go wrong in New York, LA, or Chicago either.

The OP said he was looking for a similar climate to the one in which he was living in now in the South. These cities do not have this. Also, the cost of living is going to be higher in San Francsisco, Seattle and Boston.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:56 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,532,531 times
Go with either Portland or Austin. Both are fantastic bicycling cities with amazing music scenes.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,099,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Carfree in Denver, Minneapolis, or Milwaukee is easier than Atlanta? I don't know about that...
Atlanta has decent heavy rail but it isn't walkable. Denver, Minneapolis and Milwaukee are all better walking cities from what I've seen.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,032,857 times
The problem with the whole "similar weather" deal in the south is that there aren't a ton of truly walkable cities in the south. With the exception of a few places in CA, and maybe a few smaller towns here and there in places like North Carolina...the sun belt is not exactly prime "walkable city" ground.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,768,844 times
The OP has a bike and a scooter. That should serve him fine in a city that's not too big and spread out.

Or he could even settle in a bikeable neighborhood in a larger city and take an occasional bus to the big box stores if they are just too far for the scooter.

A young person isn't likely to need a car for doctor appointments and he doesn't have kids to ferry around.

Sorry, I should have asked if you have the ability to rent or borrow a car before I suggested a road trip.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:26 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,404,423 times
People need to take into account affordability before suggesting cities like San Francisco or New York. I don't know the OP's expected income but those cities have the highest cost of living in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.