U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,130,413 times

Advertisements

Boston, Baltimore, Philly, DC, NYC..... all of those cities have serious alcoholics, whether its a 9-5'er working at a nonprofit or a sale associate at CVS, people in these cities love to drink. I love to drink myself, its just a way of life. When determining we I live at I always take into account the distance of the nearest liquor store, if its not within walking distance it won't work out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 06:24 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,123,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
When determining we I live at I always take into account the distance of the nearest liquor store, if its not within walking distance it won't work out.
Malcolm Gandhi has it figured out

Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,130,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Malcolm Gandhi has it figured out
Sure do and what kind of name is Marcinkiewicz? Sounds like a prescription drug.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:45 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,123,975 times
Quote:
Sure do and what kind of name is Marcinkiewicz? Sounds like a prescription drug.
Lol. If only...actually Polish for son of Martin, I was once told. Family hails from near the Russian border, though, and I prefer to think that's the fatherland, so that I can have solidarity with the Russian alcoholics mentioned earlier in this thread...not to mention the literature

Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,064,731 times
Boston, St. Louis, Chicago, Cleveland are heavy drinking cities.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,656,650 times
Quote:
Boston, Baltimore, Philly, DC, NYC..... all of those cities have serious alcoholics, whether its a 9-5'er working at a nonprofit or a sale associate at CVS, people in these cities love to drink. I love to drink myself, its just a way of life. When determining we I live at I always take into account the distance of the nearest liquor store, if its not within walking distance it won't work out.
It strange why most of these places are in north and not the south?

I can't say I gone to Boston Baltimore and see drunks on street and people drinking in public.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,001,880 times
Pine Ridge, South Dakota may well be the most alcoholic town in The United States. Maybe a year or so ago I watched a documentary about alcoholism on Pine Ridge Indian reservation and its pretty sad the extent and impact alcoholism has had on the Amerindian people of that reservation. And its a sprawling reservation geographically.

Pine Ridge Indian Reservation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpt.

Quote:
Alcoholism

Because of historic problems with alcohol use by its members, the Oglala Sioux Tribe has prohibited the sale and possession of alcohol on the Pine Ridge Reservation since its creation in 1832. The exception was a brief period in the 1970s when on-reservation sales were tried. The town of Whiteclay, Nebraska (just over the South Dakota-Nebraska border) has approximately 12 residents and four liquor stores, which sold over 4.9 million 12-ounce cans of beer in 2010 almost exclusively to Oglala Lakota from the reservation. This contributes to widespread alcoholism on the reservation, which is estimated to affect 85 percent of the families.[87] Tribal police estimate that 90 percent of the crimes are alcohol-related.[87]
In terms of Europe, while I'm no expert on this subject, from what I have read about Russia in a book written by an award winning journalist here in the U.S. on the topic of public health, I get the impression Russia may possibly the most alcoholic nation in Europe. Part of Russia covers Asia too, right?

In that book the author stated Gorbachev has been credited by many with decreasing what was a growing alcoholism problem in Russia. Armed Russia police kicking down doors of places producing cheap, illegal vodka that wasn't of good quality but highly addictive nonetheless. The author also attributed the problem to Russian culture of never placing the cap on an open vodka bottle until the bottle is finished.

The abortion rate and and alcoholism rates in Russia have been said to be catastrophic to the future of Russia as a civilization.

In terms of non-Amerindian towns in the United States I have no stats and can't speak definitively, however, I have extensive drinking experience. Maybe that's all I should say on that. But what I can say of what I know of the city I grew up in and live in is that the City of Milwaukee has a serious drinking culture. I don't know if it has the biggest drinking culture in the world or even in the United States but I would suspect it probably could be listed in the top 100 or 200 world wide in terms of drinking culture. One reason I say this is that as an experienced drinker I know there is only so much alcohol (scientifically/medically) a person can consume in a period before they die. Simple as that. Kind of like you can only shoot so much heroin into your arm in one day or snort only so much cocaine in one day before you OD. And Milwaukeeans can (not all Milwaukeeans of course) put them down (beer/drinks) with the best of them. Many of us start drinking/getting drunk around age 12 or 13 too.

Consider some of the topics on this website about "night life" and clubs. Most it when talking about the great cities of Chicago, New York, or Atlanta tend to seem to imply some primary concern for aesthetics and pretension. But I when I read these things I usually infer from them that the writer of the comments isn't a serious drinker. The beer and alcohol has primary importance over the aesthetics of the club, bar, or lounge. I'm speaking as a serious Milwaukee drinker. That's partly why I say I can go into a small town in Idaho, sit at a bar with one or more persons, and have as good a time as I can in a New York City (or Milwaukee) night club with people pretending to be something particularly special or carrying airs. The two little drinks don't mean nothing to me. We come to put them down.

I've got alcoholics on both sides on my family, too.

Something like this literally offends me:

Buy Heineken Beer Ponies Online. Small Heineken Beer Bottles

Heineken 7oz 6pk Btls

PRODUCER: HEINEKEN

REGION:
HOLLAND

SIZE:
6 PACK BOTTLES

You need at least a 4 pack of tall cans (16 oz at least) for a primer. But I was raised off the 40 oz which was a unit of beer for a single person, and typically the first 40 was the primer.

How anyone can drink a single mini beer bottle is beyond me. I could use one as mouth wash.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:28 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,225,807 times
I read once that Charleston, SC had the highest number of alcoholics per capita in the US. A college chum spent a summer there, staying with a great aunt. Her aunties ritual Sundays after church was to attend a round of cocktail parties that went on all day. My friend would pour her in bed about 7.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 14 days ago)

12,226 posts, read 10,486,119 times
Lewis Black has me convinced Milwaukee has the most alcoholics in the US by far. I would think New Orleans would be up there also.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM

21,285 posts, read 30,588,994 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Boston, St. Louis, Chicago, Cleveland are heavy drinking cities.
Alcoholism and heavy drinking aren't necessarily synonymous. Alcoholism is a disease and those who have it cannot control their actions in terms of moderating or stopping. Heavy drinkers tend to do so by choice and see it as recreational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or