U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,065 times

Advertisements

I am a single 22 year old guy looking to relocate to a new, more exciting area of the country. I currently live in Glenwood Springs, Colorado and am finally getting tired of living here after 3 years. I love many things about Colorado but I am ready for something new and exciting. Someone please help!!

Some things I am looking for:

-Green and near water. I love the weather here in Colorado but being originally from upstate New York its really starting to feel like I live in a desert.

-Happening place. I am also looking to move to an area where there are more people my age and more populated in general (glenwood springs only has 9,000 people).

-Near a mountain to snowboard at would be a plus after being spoiled riding Vail for the last few years.

-Down to earth/spiritual community. I just recently got into yoga and meditation.

-Near hiking. There are many reasons why I want to live in a more populated area but I'm sure that will get to me at times and I will need to escape to wildernesss/quiet.

-rent around $900 a month or less for a 1 br would be nice.

-walkable city/town. I love being able to walk down a street where people are outside eating/drinking beer/playing music.

Some areas I've looked at:

Portland, OR- Everything about it seems amazing except for the weather. After living in Colorado (300 days of sunshine a year) for 3 years I don't know if I can handle all the rain and gloominess for many weeks at a time. But maybe it won't be that bad since I'm used to upstate NY's rain and overcast skies.

Green Valley, CA- Seems like a beautiful area close to snowboarding and a good climate except for scorching summers but I'm afraid that I would get the same boredom feeling I'm getting now in a smaller area.

Asheville, NC- Seems very nice, would love to know more about how it is living there.

Austin, TX- Seems like a happening place for someone my age but I don't know if I can handle not snowboarding and the extreme heat in the summer. Also it might be too flat for me, not sure.

Ashland, OR- Looks like the perfect place that meets my criteria but I'm also afraid that it's not big enough and would get bored there after a while.

Somwhere on the coast of Cali- Everything seems awesome except the cost of living and I would have to switch to surfing since there are no mountains near.

I know it looks like I'm looking for the perfect place but any Advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to move in September and I'm not planning on visiting anywhere before I leave (kinda how I live my life lol) but relying on words of wisdom on here and my own research online.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,013,424 times
- Well there is also Seattle ...the weather is not that far off from Portland though (colder in the summer too) but the cost of living might be sliiiightly higher than you want (might be possible if you look). The area is great though.

- If you don't mind the winter, then a place like Madison, WI or Minneapolis is good and should be within your budget..although there's not a ton of actual mountains in that area (there are ski areas north of Madison though).

- Boise, Idaho?

Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
I was going to say if you wanted to come back home, Ithaca or something like the Center Square neighborhood of Albany would or could work. With Albany, you are close to the Adirondacks, the Catskills and the Berkshires. Albany gets more sun than other parts of Upstate NY. Here's some Center Square information: Center Square Neighborhood In Albany NY - Downtown Albany Community Near Lark Street

Lark Street In Albany New York - Restaurants, Shopping, Bars And Galleries

Center Square/Hudson

Lark Street BID :: Welcome

https://www.google.com/search?q=yoga...&client=safari

Upper Union in Schenectady and Downtown/around RPI in Troy may work in that area, with Cohoes being a sleeper.

As for a bigger area that may work, perhaps Philadelphia, which is close enough to the Poconos. There may be major college towns that may work as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-12-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times
Portland, Seattle, Austin, San Francisco, Boston, Minneapolis, and Denver are the best places right now to be in your twenties.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 AM

176 posts, read 298,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Portland, Seattle, Austin, San Francisco, Boston, Minneapolis, and Denver are the best places right now to be in your twenties.
This answer is so generic on these forums. Care to explain what makes them better? Thank you

Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM

4,266 posts, read 6,346,948 times
Consider Burlington Vt.:
--You could get an apartment there for under $1000 a month.
--The unemployment rate is just over 3% so there are jobs there.
-- There are 160 sunny or partly sunny days there so it overcast about half the time.
--But you are on Lake Champlain and right by the Adirondacks. Plenty of hilking, boating and greenery.
--The downtown is defintely walkable and vibrant.
--Less than 50,000 in the city itself, but as home to U of Vermont the cast of characters is always changing and young.
--The university and the state's liberal politics generate many spiritual outlets and organizations.
--You get bored there and Montreal, Boston and New York are a dayride (or less) away

Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
This answer is so generic on these forums. Care to explain what makes them better? Thank you
Those cities are everything most young people are looking for. Very liberal, white collar, walkable, organic, funky, etc. Pretty much any city of decent size will have its hipster scene but the above cities are geared towards that.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Consider Burlington Vt.:
--You could get an apartment there for under $1000 a month.
--The unemployment rate is just over 3% so there are jobs there.
-- There are 160 sunny or partly sunny days there so it overcast about half the time.
--But you are on Lake Champlain and right by the Adirondacks. Plenty of hilking, boating and greenery.
--The downtown is defintely walkable and vibrant.
--Less than 50,000 in the city itself, but as home to U of Vermont the cast of characters is always changing and young.
--The university and the state's liberal politics generate many spiritual outlets and organizations.
--You get bored there and Montreal, Boston and New York are a dayride (or less) away
Also, if he wants something a bit more affordable in that area, Plattsburgh NY may be a good alternative.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,020,104 times
Hudson River Valley, NY
Lake Champlain Region, VT/NY

And Coastal Orange County, CA is an awesome place for a 20 something. Skiing is only 1.5 hour a way. Pretty cool creative scene, too.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
I would say Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or