U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,842,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
IMHO, state borders are a wee bit broad.
I agree with this part--simply using state borders to categorize regions is antiquated and not reflective of the reality on the ground, in America's ever-evolving cultural associations...

Places like Missouri are not completely Midwest. Mostly, sure, vast majority, but there is a percentage of Missouri that shouldn't just be considered a place with "southern characteristics", it should be considered the South, outright. Also, I can see an argument to be had for part of West Virginia as Midwestern, but most of West Virginia south of Charleston is absolutely in the South...

Kentucky is another oddball state, like it's Missouri in reverse. The overwhelming majority of Kentucky is southern, and I've only ever thought of it as southern in a state sense, but I guess there's an argument to be had that the northernmost regions could be Midwestern...

I think most of us associate the Great Lakes region as quintessentially Midwest. I would exclude the New York and Pennsylvania portions of the Great Lakes from the designation of Midwest, though--too familiar with the area, and while places like Buffalo and Rochester and Pittsburgh give off certain Midwest resemblances, they are more Northeast than anything...

Never been to the Dakotas or Nebraska. I have been to Leavenworth area of Kansas, Missouri also, so I think the Plains states are Midwestern, but I can't tell you where the Midwest-to-West transition begins in the Plains states...

Question: how many people here believe Oklahoma is Midwestern? My girlfriend spent her early childhood there and she considers it southern, and I've always thought of it that way, but I've heard there's an opinion that Oklahoma us actually a Midwest state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,399,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Minnesota seems like a great plains states once you get to the central part of the state. Otherwise, I sure don't know what's different. Michigan and Wisconsin have the most miles of Great Lakes shoreline, by far, so that sets them apart, somewhat.

The Great Plains are part of the Midwest, anyway. They are just as much "Midwest" as the Great Lakes. You do realise the plains reach all the way down to Texas? They're defined by natural ecosystem not by state lines. Also, I haven't been to central MN, but I wouldn't consider that Great Plains, either. Its too far east. I consider that "northern prairie."

Here's a google streetview from I-94 in central Minnesota.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5472...7i13312!8i6656

Compare are with I-70 in central Kansas. The actual Great Plains.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8639...7i13312!8i6656

Notice how one has far more trees and is more lush? However, they're both Midwest. The Midwest is a huge and diverse region in topography. Not all states look the same.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,027,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The Great Plains are part of the Midwest, anyway. They are just as much "Midwest" as the Great Lakes. You do realise the plains reach all the way down to Texas? They're defined by natural ecosystem not by state lines. Also, I haven't been to central MN, but I wouldn't consider that Great Plains, either. Its too far east. I consider that "northern prairie."

Here's a google streetview from I-94 in central Minnesota.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5472...7i13312!8i6656

Compare are with I-70 in central Kansas. The actual Great Plains.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8639...7i13312!8i6656

Notice how one has far more trees and is more lush? However, they're both Midwest. The Midwest is a huge and diverse region in topography. Not all states look the same.
I understand there is an extremely diverse topography. Minnesota has a fair amount of this, though...that's what I was comparing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4432...!7i3328!8i1664

Old 01-10-2018, 10:24 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,399,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I understand there is an extremely diverse topography. Minnesota has a fair amount of this, though...that's what I was comparing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4432...!7i3328!8i1664
True, but thats western Minnesota, not central like you initially mentioned. That part of the state is not only sparsely populated but represents only the western sliver. Plus, that looks VERY Midwestern, look at all that corn! That looks "more Midwestern" than the northern part which looks more like Canada. I guess you can argue that that part of the state is Great Plains but its a very slim part of it relative to the rest of the state which is more a mix of prairie farmland more like Iowa than Nebraska, as well as lakes and woods.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 PM

943 posts, read 416,791 times
Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming are considered western states, but I consider them mid-western states to be honest. They are far enough from the coast and they have less moderate climates than the west coast states (states that actually touch the Pacific Ocean like Washington, Oregon, and California) have.

Midwest: Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado

Old 01-12-2018, 10:49 PM

7,749 posts, read 9,053,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming are considered western states, but I consider them mid-western states to be honest. They are far enough from the coast and they have less moderate climates than the west coast states (states that actually touch the Pacific Ocean like Washington, Oregon, and California) have.

Midwest: Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado
I lived in Montana and Wyoming and spent plenty of time in Utah and Colorado and while the eastern parts of Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado may seem slightly Midwestern, the cultures (not to mention topography and climate) are far from it. And Utah is not Midwestern by any stretch of the imagination.

Though I haven't spent much time in them, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Tennessee are definitely Southern. Your definition is counting nearly half the country as Midwestern.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:47 PM

40 posts, read 27,537 times
Missouri is what you want it to be.. It has a bit of everything from north south east and west but theres no denying its demographically apart of the midwestern.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 PM

4,999 posts, read 2,430,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1764 View Post
Missouri is what you want it to be.. It has a bit of everything from north south east and west but theres no denying its demographically apart of the midwestern.
YM "geographically."

The demographics of a given area don't give much of a clue one way or another as to its regional identity.

Culturally, the state has areas of Midwestern, Mid-Southern and Deep Southern influence, with a slight Eastern accent in the area around St. Louis and a slight Western one in Greater Kansas City.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:29 PM

20,861 posts, read 35,992,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
YM "geographically."

The demographics of a given area don't give much of a clue one way or another as to its regional identity.

Culturally, the state has areas of Midwestern, Mid-Southern and Deep Southern influence, with a slight Eastern accent in the area around St. Louis and a slight Western one in Greater Kansas City.
KC is a mixture of southern, somewhat netural, and western sounding accents. It has zero evidence of NCVS accent that is somewhat commonly found in STL.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,904,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Places like Missouri are not completely Midwest. Mostly, sure, vast majority, but there is a percentage of Missouri that shouldn't just be considered a place with "southern characteristics", it should be considered the South, outright.
Absolutely 100% correct. Many people miss this. Missouri is a midwestern state, but a few sections of it are 100% part of the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Kentucky is another oddball state, like it's Missouri in reverse. The overwhelming majority of Kentucky is southern, and I've only ever thought of it as southern in a state sense, but I guess there's an argument to be had that the northernmost regions could be Midwestern...
Yep. I've always said that Kentucky is the inverse of Missouri. Kentucky is a southern state, but a section of it is 100% part of the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or