U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 03:21 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,845,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
No, you clearly do not understand that most of the Midwest is centered around the Great Lakes. That is one of the defining features of many Midwestern cities.
No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I mean fully. Every state in that general region has areas that feel fully Midwestern. But they are not entirely Midwestern states. MI and WI feel entirely Midwestern to me, as does most of Illinois and Indiana. However, much of OH does not feel very Midwestern.

I also completely disagree that the Great Plains are part of the Mideest. They most certainly are a separate region. The Midwest is anchored around the cities of Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. ND and SD are certainly not Midwestern. I have never heard them referred to as such. IA could be called Midwestern, but KS and NE are in the same boat as ND and SD. I strongly disagreee that those four states are part of the Midwest. I have always thought of the Midwest as being anchored around the Great Lakes, not the true middle of the country.
Great Lakes =/= Midwest and you are probably the only person who thinks this.

Just LOL

Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 PM

240 posts, read 117,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

Just LOL
No, that is wrong. Everybody I have talked to in the New York area refers to the Midwest as what I described. Nebraska, SD, ND, and KS are more Western than Midwestern.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:27 PM

377 posts, read 202,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

Just LOL
Well, I also have the same stereotype. Not sure where I picked it up but everything west of Minnesota was GP and not at all "Midwestern." In fact, I consider portions of EC states, "midwestern", that touch the GL.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:30 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,163,299 times
The rural Midwest is very similar to the Rural South, religion is still pretty big in the rural Midwest as well that is why it is still pretty socially conservative still.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
No, that is wrong. Everybody I have talked to in the New York area refers to the Midwest as what I described. Nebraska, SD, ND, and KS are more Western than Midwestern.
Good old appeal to authority. And just what makes these anecdotes valuable?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/949f...itemid=5245718

Old 01-19-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
The rural Midwest is very similar to the Rural South, religion is still pretty big in the rural Midwest as well that is why it is still pretty socially conservative still.
Most of the country is like this.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:46 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
No, NJ has no areas that are Southern. PA most certainly does. OH has regions that are southern as well. Overall, I am basing my criteria on the typical cultural/geographic definition of each region. Therefore, the Midwest is a huge region, but it is not divided by state lines. The same goes for every other region in the country. In addition, I agree that parts of MI and OH are more like NY and parts of OH are like PA. No parts of Michigan are really like PA. However, parts of PA and NY are incredibly different from the Midwest, and they influence the state far more. I would agree that Western New York is Midwestern, and that is why I did not include NY as fully northeastern. PA has areas that are northeastern, areas that are fairly southern, and areas that are Midwestern. There is also a reason I did not include PA as fully northeastern.
Seriously?

Old 01-19-2018, 05:13 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
No, you clearly do not understand that most of the Midwest is centered around the Great Lakes. That is one of the defining features of many Midwestern cities.
That is completely correct. The center of population in the Midwest region is always the Great Lakes region.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is completely correct. The center of population in the Midwest region is always the Great Lakes region.
Define Great Lakes region. When people say the center of population is Great Lakes concentrated they always expand it to include the entire states and metro areas of the Great Lakes. So this will include cities like Columbus, Indy, and even Cincinnati and St. Louis.

Great Lakes metros are only on Great Lakes OR they are in Michigan which is surrounded by the lakes. But someone can show me that actual Great Lakes metros have this concentration then we can get somewhere. Truth be told I don't know how people reached this conclusion.

The Great Lakes Megalopolis (which isn't even real) can maybe lay claim to being the population center but it included many cities that aren't even on the Great Lakes.

Great Lakes can't define Midwest. It includes New York and PA. The Great Lakes =/= Midwest. This is a ridiculous idea. Now Western New York is Midwestern just because people want it to fit their narrative

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 01-19-2018 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or