Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I did accidentally omit Illinois (oops), but I did not inadvertently add Oklahoma.
DH from Nebraska tells me that Oklahomans think of themselves as westerners, not southerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
DH from Nebraska tells me that Oklahomans think of themselves as westerners, not southerners.
Oklahomans are Southerners...and a study done by the University of North Carolina showed over 70% of OKlahomans to identify with the South. Stick to your DH's information, but it's inaccurate. Oklahomans are culturally, linguistically, and demographically Southern.

Last edited by stlouisan; 05-20-2013 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think I know what your husband is getting at.

Many Oklahomans do carry somewhat of a westward spirit, but it is not in the likeness of the West Coast, say like Cali/Oregon/Washington or even Arizona/Nevada/Idaho. It is more of "Cowboy" or "Redneck" type of Western ruggedness/raucousness if that makes sense, not the pretty boy surfer type.

This attitude does distinguish Oklahomans/Texans from other Southerners say in the Deep South or on the East Coast (like southern Virginia/NC/SC) as Okies/Texans tend to be more proud, brash, loud, outspoken, and outgoing. The only other Southerners that I've met that come close to Okies/Texans in this regard are those northern Louisiana Bayou Boys. Those folks over there in the Deep South are a little to prim&proper and reserved for us. We're their rowdy cousins from the west end!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Oklahomans are Southerners...and a study done by the University of North Carolina showed over 70% of OKlahomans to identify with the South. So much for your DH's information. Stick to your DH's information, but it's inaccurate. Oklahomans are culturally, linguistically, and demographically Southern.

Yes Sir.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times
Overall, I'd say the definition of the Midwest is fairly accurate, although Missouri and the Great Plains states are without a doubt edge states with strong influences from other cultures.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:17 PM

25 posts, read 29,276 times
Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin are the only 100% solid Midwestern states. Illinois and Indiana are both probably 95 percent Midwestern or more but the extreme southern portions of them seem more like a transition zone leading to the South. Ohio is mostly Midwestern but extreme southern Ohio is like southern Illinois and Indiana, and extreme eastern Ohio is more like the Northeast. Only the far eastern portions of South Dakota and Nebraska are solidly Midwestern, draw a line north to south at about York, Nebraska and use that as a reference point. In Nebraska and South Dakota, East of that line could be considered Midwestern in those states, West of that line the transition zone to the West begins. Although I have still even noticed a slight to moderately strong western feel/culture in parts of eastern South Dakota! North Dakota retains a Midwestern feel for much further than South Dakota or Nebraska I think personally, it really didn't seem super "western" until around where the badlands begin. Northern Missouri seems solidly Midwestern, but get South of US 50 and it seems to turn into a bit of a gray area. And only Northeastern Kansas is solidly Midwestern. The rest of the state seems to be either transitioning to either the South or the West, and the western parts of the state seem solidly Western.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:05 PM

828 posts, read 692,451 times
Non coastal states (the great lakes don't count as being on a coast) that are east of Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. Except Tennessee. They are more southern than mid-western.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:45 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Non coastal states (the great lakes don't count as being on a coast) that are east of Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. Except Tennessee. They are more southern than mid-western.
The Great Lakes are not a coast How can anyone discredit Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio from the Midwest?

Old 12-21-2017, 05:47 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US64WB View Post
Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin are the only 100% solid Midwestern states. Illinois and Indiana are both probably 95 percent Midwestern or more but the extreme southern portions of them seem more like a transition zone leading to the South. Ohio is mostly Midwestern but extreme southern Ohio is like southern Illinois and Indiana, and extreme eastern Ohio is more like the Northeast. Only the far eastern portions of South Dakota and Nebraska are solidly Midwestern, draw a line north to south at about York, Nebraska and use that as a reference point. In Nebraska and South Dakota, East of that line could be considered Midwestern in those states, West of that line the transition zone to the West begins. Although I have still even noticed a slight to moderately strong western feel/culture in parts of eastern South Dakota! North Dakota retains a Midwestern feel for much further than South Dakota or Nebraska I think personally, it really didn't seem super "western" until around where the badlands begin. Northern Missouri seems solidly Midwestern, but get South of US 50 and it seems to turn into a bit of a gray area. And only Northeastern Kansas is solidly Midwestern. The rest of the state seems to be either transitioning to either the South or the West, and the western parts of the state seem solidly Western.

Iowa is the most "purely Midwestern" state. It's the only Midwestern state to not border a Great Lake, another region or Canada. It's completely surrounded by Midwestern states.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:09 AM

384 posts, read 272,679 times
I consider North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, northwest Indiana (from Valparaiso westward) to be the Midwest. I've always thought of Kentucky as a Southern state, while Ohio and Michigan are part of the Great Lakes region separate from the Midwest because they follow Eastern Time and are actually closer to the East Coast than you might think. (Youngstown Ohio is less than 400 miles from both New York and Philadelphia) South Dakota's inclusion as a Midwestern State is debatable, because their attractions(Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills National Park) and most recognized cities (Rapid City, Sturgis, Deadwood) are all closer to Gillette Wyoming than Minneapolis or Chicago. These locations are culturally more Western and also follow Rocky Mountain Time which puts them out of sync with the rest of the Midwestern States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.