Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 12:36 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,217,688 times

Advertisements

The term "Midwest" is completely meaningless and needs to be retired from usage, IMO. I saw West Virginia mentioned....parts of WV are in the Washington D.C. MSA. If Ohio is "Midwest", then do we need to start calling Utah "Mideast"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 03:53 PM

10,232 posts, read 13,740,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It is interesting

Okay, now that I see you are in North Dakota I have to ask you the same question--do you consider your state part of the Midwest?
I consider North Dakota to mostly be Midwest. For the most part it's pretty solidly Midwest and is quite similar to Minnesota. When you get further west (past the Missouri) it does become western. So really you have both regions in the same state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The term "Midwest" is completely meaningless and needs to be retired from usage, IMO. I saw West Virginia mentioned....parts of WV are in the Washington D.C. MSA. If Ohio is "Midwest", then do we need to start calling Utah "Mideast"?

Old 01-01-2018, 03:26 AM

747 posts, read 555,255 times
The Midwest to me is the Great Lakes Region & The Great Plains Region

So these states imo:
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Wisconsin

Old 01-01-2018, 06:05 PM

810 posts, read 872,972 times
The Midwest:
Indiana
Illinois
Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota
North/South Dakota
Iowa
Kansas
Nebraska (Eastern section)
Missouri (Northern section)

Old 01-01-2018, 06:20 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,845,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
The Midwest to me is the Great Lakes Region & The Great Plains Region

So these states imo:
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Wisconsin
All but Oklahoma...not in the Midwest.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
This does it for me.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,538,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I saw West Virginia mentioned....parts of WV are in the Washington D.C. MSA.
Only 1 small part of WV is in the Washington, DC MSA. A larger section of WV borders Ohio.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:21 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Indiana, Ohio, Illinois for certain.
Iowa is one of the boundary states for the western part of the Midwest and Missouri is the Southern boundary.

Michigan, Minnesota, and WI but they also fall into Great Lakes States. MN and MI in particular because they feel a bit different than the rest of the Midwest.

ND, SD, NE, & KS are Great Plains states to me.

Just my opinion

Curious but how is Minnesota different from the rest of the Midwest? I mean its unique but its not a regional outlier by any means, at least in my opinion. And the Great Plains are a natural geographic feature that isn't defined by state lines. Kansas is in the Midwest and GP, just like Oklahoma is in the South and GP. Part of Wyoming is in the Great Plains too, but its still a Rocky Mountain West state.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,845,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Curious but how is Minnesota different from the rest of the Midwest? I mean its unique but its not a regional outlier by any means, at least in my opinion. And the Great Plains are a natural geographic feature that isn't defined by state lines. Kansas is in the Midwest and GP, just like Oklahoma is in the South and GP. Part of Wyoming is in the Great Plains too, but its still a Rocky Mountain West state.
Minnesota seems like a great plains states once you get to the central part of the state. Otherwise, I sure don't know what's different. Michigan and Wisconsin have the most miles of Great Lakes shoreline, by far, so that sets them apart, somewhat.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:13 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,229,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Only 1 small part of WV is in the Washington, DC MSA. A larger section of WV borders Ohio.
But the largest border is with Virginia.

BORDLIST
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.