Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,906,368 times

Advertisements

Illinois - but it feels strongly southern in the southern portions of the state, including accents
Iowa - solid Midwestern
Michigan - solid Midwestern
Minnesota - solid Midwestern
Indiana - same as IL
Wisconsin - solid Midwestern
Kansas - Eastern KS only - Western KS is Great Plains to me
Missouri - Northern and far Eastern only - southern MO is pure southern, IMO
North Dakota - Eastern half only
South Dakota - same as ND
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 03:02 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes the Great Plains are a transition zone between West and Midwest....

Missouri is also the Transition between North (Midwest) and South.... probably leans more southern honestly, ive made stops north of Kansas City and the people all had southern accents and they all had that overly friendly stereotypical southern attitude...
My husband is from Omaha. I asked him once if they think Omaha is the midwest or the Great Plains. He said, in his usual style. "Mid-Plains".

Quote:
Driving on I-90 in South Dakota you will notice an obvious transition from Midwest to West once you cross the Missouri River, you go through windy roads through the valley and the road opens up and it has that typical western atmosphere where everything is so open and the roads seem to go on forever...

I-80 in Nebraska i have only driven in the dark except i believe i got to experience the transition which may have been in North Platte.

Never driven I-70 in Kansas

I have only driven I-35 through Kansas twice and they were both at night unfortunately so i never got to see arguably the "South Western corner" of the Midwest.

I am not too familiar with the situation out East, most of my travels take me out West.
I've driven across Nebraska at least twice every year of my 37 year marriage. Generally speaking, the 100th Meridian, at Cozad on I-80, is considered the dividing line between the humid midwest and the drier Great Plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Minnesota has been called "the Northwest" by many as late as the 1960s. (Yes, they know about Seattle and Portland. It's just a holdover from the days before the Dakotas achieved statehood in the late 19th century). To this day, many old businesses in the Twin Cities still carry the Northwest moniker.
And the Northwest Ordinance goes back to 1787. It encompasses all or part of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Ordinance

Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM

239 posts, read 228,831 times
North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, and Nebraska are not Midwestern. They are Great Plains. I have never heard those four states mentioned as part of the Midwest living in the New York area. Even Iowa is a stretch to call Midwestern. I would call Iowa Great Plains. The Midwest is Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Yes, parts of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri are southern. Parts of Missouri, like KC, are certainly not midwestern. But STL is definitely a midwestern city. Yes, Western New York feels Midwestern, but the majority of the state does not. Also, parts of Minnesota feel like the Great Plains versus the Midwest.

In addition, calling WV part of the northeast is ludicrous. However, MD and DE are part of the northeast. Oklahoma is Great Plains/South in areas. Texas is Great Plain/South/Interior West. I do not think that state borders decide regions. There are only a handful of US states that fully fit their region.

Northeast:
ME
NH
VT
MA
RI
CT
NJ

South:
NC
SC
GA
AL
KY
TN
WV
AL
MS
LA
AR

Midwest:
MI
WI

Great Plains:
ND
SD
KS
NE

Interior West:
ID (maybe)
WY (maybe)
AZ
NM
UT
other than that, most states in that area, like CO, MT, are a mix of Great Plains and interior west.

West Coast:
WA comes closest, but it still isn't entirely West Coast

Old 01-18-2018, 08:26 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Quote:
I honestly just go with the accent and the attitude of the people, ill be honest i have never been to the deep south (Alabama, Georgia) i have only been to the Carolina's, Tennessee and Kentucky. but i have always been surprised how far north the southern accent can reach, two places that blew my mind were NW Indiana and Des Moines Iowa.

I've always lived in the Midwest and i notice a definite difference once i got to Missouri, but again i live in the "Upper Midwest" and maybe i am just not used to the real Midwest so i think of it as southern when it really isnt?
Nobody in NW Indiana speaks with Southern accents unless they have ties to the South and are (mostly) Black.

Whites there speak with Northern accents.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Is that on the lines of political beliefs?
On regional identity. Ask most St. Louisans or Kansas Citians if they align with the South and the anserr would be a more than likely "hell no".

Old 01-18-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, and Nebraska are not Midwestern. They are Great Plains. I have never heard those four states mentioned as part of the Midwest living in the New York area. Even Iowa is a stretch to call Midwestern. I would call Iowa Great Plains. The Midwest is Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Yes, parts of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri are southern. Parts of Missouri, like KC, are certainly not midwestern. But STL is definitely a midwestern city. Yes, Western New York feels Midwestern, but the majority of the state does not. Also, parts of Minnesota feel like the Great Plains versus the Midwest.

In addition, calling WV part of the northeast is ludicrous. However, MD and DE are part of the northeast. Oklahoma is Great Plains/South in areas. Texas is Great Plain/South/Interior West. I do not think that state borders decide regions. There are only a handful of US states that fully fit their region.

Northeast:
ME
NH
VT
MA
RI
CT
NJ

South:
NC
SC
GA
AL
KY
TN
WV
AL
MS
LA
AR

Midwest:
MI
WI

Great Plains:
ND
SD
KS
NE

Interior West:
ID (maybe)
WY (maybe)
AZ
NM
UT
other than that, most states in that area, like CO, MT, are a mix of Great Plains and interior west.

West Coast:
So Midwest is only Michigan and Wisconsin now? Ooooooookay

I think you have Midwest confused with...who knows what. Lol@ Ohio not being Midwestern enough. Even more lol @ Indiana not making the cut.

What even is your criteria???

Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,486,139 times
Quote:

Northeast:
ME
NH
VT
MA
RI
CT
NJ

South:
NC
SC
GA
AL
KY
TN
WV
AL
MS
LA
AR

Midwest:
MI
WI

Great Plains:
ND
SD
KS
NE

Interior West:
ID (maybe)
WY (maybe)
AZ
NM
UT

West Coast:
I think your logic is incredibly flawed.

WV does not fully fit into the south at all. Not unless you want to include Pittsburgh as a southern city.

Extreme parts of southern Ohio are influenced with southern traits, but it is NOT truly southern. Get out of here with that, tired of that one. It's called "mid-land" and "central Appalachia", both areas where the traditional north and south mingle. There are just as many northern influences on the south side of the river. Again, by your logic parts of PA and NJ would be southern too.

Iowa is ABSOLUTELY Midwestern. In fact, I dare call it a state that exemplifies the region short of the rust belt proper, which is a great lakes thing that extends into the northeast as well.

While I am on the subject, the great lakes region is not exclusively Midwestern, unless you consider central NY Midwest too. People should stop using the lakes area to wholly define the Midwest, as it is not the core character of said region. If anything, Michigan and Ohio are more like NY and PA than they are Iowa and Minnesota.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

WV does not fully fit into the south at all. Not unless you want to include Pittsburgh as a southern city.

Extreme parts of southern Ohio are influenced with southern traits, but it is NOT truly southern. Get out of here with that, tired of that one. It's called "mid-land" and "central Appalachia", both areas where the traditional north and south mingle. There are just as many northern influences on the south side of the river. Again, by your logic parts of PA and NJ would be southern too.

Iowa is ABSOLUTELY Midwestern. In fact, I dare call it a state that exemplifies the region short of the rust belt proper, which is a great lakes thing that extends into the northeast as well.

While I am on the subject, the great lakes region is not exclusively Midwestern, unless you consider central NY Midwest too. People should stop using the lakes area to wholly define the Midwest, as it is not the core character of said region. If anything, Michigan and Ohio are more like NY and PA than they are Iowa and Minnesota.
Cosign everything you said.

Somehow the South influences everything except when it touches the Northeast. Seems to be the general consensus around here.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Pittsburgh is not in West Virginia; it is in Pennsylvania.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:24 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 12 days ago)

5,749 posts, read 5,511,264 times
Quote:

Northeast:
ME
NH
VT
MA
RI
CT
NJ

South:
NC
SC
GA
AL
KY
TN
WV
AL
MS
LA
AR

Midwest:
MI
WI

Great Plains:
ND
SD
KS
NE

Interior West:
ID (maybe)
WY (maybe)
AZ
NM
UT

West Coast:
This is hilarious. Others have beat me to some of the critique I was gonna level, so I'll just leave it at: there's nothing "Midwestern" about Western New York. It's very similar to the eastern Great Lakes stretch of the Midwest, but that would literally be the only subregion of the Midwest you could compare WNY to. Matter of fact, WNY stands in stark contrast to much of the Midwest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.