U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:03 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,317,415 times

Advertisements

uggggh, I can't take Dunkin Donuts. It's utter garbage in my opinion. Their coffees, their breakfast sandwiches, their donuts--all of it is pure trash!

Yet they are everywhere! All throughout the northeast, u can count on seeing dunkin donuts everwhere, it's unbelieveable. It's because they are franchized and each dunkin donuts is of varying quality, but rest assured they all suck. They're in the south too. I see tons of them in Florida as well. It's a shame.

I much prefer Starbucks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,450,601 times
I hate coffee so I judge places by their hot chocolate. Starbucks SUCKS. IMO, the best is a regional chain called Dunn Brothers. They also sell my current addiction, Eileen's Colossal Cookies.

I haven't been to DD in years. As far as donuts go, glazed are my absolute favorite but I don't care for Krispy Kreme. They are too small and too sweet. Give me a plain old grocery store bakery donut anyday.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 AM

874 posts, read 1,163,118 times
I don't care much for their donuts. I'd rather get donuts from a local place than a chain. But their coffee is pretty good. That's the only real reason I go to DD if I ever do.

If I want espresso from a chain, I usually go to Einsten Bagel Bros.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,360,185 times
I love DD coffee, but I love KK donuts just as much. DD re-entered the Birmingham market a couple of years ago. KK is a local institution...lol.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
I don't think I've ever even seen one west of New Jersey, but they're advertised on TV a lot down here. According to their locator, they are strictly a big city chain, located in only the four biggest cities in Texas. I've seen them in the northeast, but I always thought they were just some goofy local Massachusetts thing, where they call shakes "frappes".

Do they have like burgers and fries or anything, or just coffee and donuts?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 AM

56,144 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think I've ever even seen one west of New Jersey, but they're advertised on TV a lot down here. According to their locator, they are strictly a big city chain, located in only the four biggest cities in Texas. I've seen them in the northeast, but I always thought they were just some goofy local Massachusetts thing, where they call shakes "frappes".

Do they have like burgers and fries or anything, or just coffee and donuts?
But I thought "America Runs On Dunkin!" Their slogan.

No, they don't have burgers or fries, just donuts, fake bagels, muffins and nasty breakfast sandwiches that are made in the microwave. And loooong ago, before there even was a Starbucks (or before most of the US had heard of Starbucks, anyway) people would say, "Dunkin Donuts has the BEST coffee."

I don't like DD coffee because I think it's too weak, and I don't like the burnt taste of Starbucks, either. The guy with the trailer cart out on the street has better coffee than either, and so does 7-11.

By the way, I found out the REASON that Starbucks coffee has that burnt taste--it's because it's burnt! I was speaking with the owner of a specialty coffee bean store I was in, and she told me that normally, you dark roast coffee for 14 minutes at XYZ temperature. Starbucks dark roasts its coffee for only 8 minutes, but at a very high temperature, and that's why it tastes so bitter and, well, burnt. I know, I know, some love that taste, but it's not for me. My home coffee tastes that way after sitting for two hours in the pot with the heat on.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM

56,144 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I don't know about up there, but down here it's very common for people to get donuts for a quick breakfast. Especially from Lone Star Bakery. There's literally a 15 car line in the drive through and a 20 person line inside at peak hours...for the donuts!

A lot of times, employers will treat their staff to donuts on Friday's as well.

Speaking of bagels, that's another thing I hear about from ppl up north that I don't get, lol.
Have you ever had a real bagel? I've noticed that the store "bagels" sold under the names like Lender's or found in chain stores or supermarkets are just bread that's round with a hole in the middle.

A real bagel has a hard outside and a very chewy inside and a specific flavor that other bread doesn't have.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,931,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
So I notice that Dunkin Donuts is very popular with people up north. Particularly the northeast.

My question is, why? I've been to one, and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the donuts. They were dry and flavorless outside of the little bit of glaze.

So where's the hype from? Did I just order the wrong thing or is there something else I'm missing?
Yeah the donuts are not good...I guess their coffee keeps them profitable?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM

261 posts, read 285,287 times
I'm sitting here drinking a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee as I respond to this. It's the only coffee I drink and even when we make it at home with Dunkin' Donuts brand coffee - it's not the same.

Their "processed food" products are the worst from a health standpoint and they taste "artificial".

Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,138,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Have you ever had a real bagel? I've noticed that the store "bagels" sold under the names like Lender's or found in chain stores or supermarkets are just bread that's round with a hole in the middle.

A real bagel has a hard outside and a very chewy inside and a specific flavor that other bread doesn't have.
I guess I haven't had a real one, then. Because every bagel i've ever eaten has basically just been a hard slab of dough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.