U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 AM

6,489 posts, read 16,164,190 times

Advertisements

Doughnuts isn't where DD makes its money anymore. DD sells more coffee than anything. The coffee from DD is meh IMO, but it'll do in a pinch. And in NJ you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a DD, so it's got the convenient factor going for it too. And it's fast.

The people who seem most enthusiastic about DD are those who like flavored coffees. If you want a big hazelnut latte or a frozen whipped whoop-di-doo for a dime, DD is a good option.

I just like a plain cup of black coffee. So I usually just stop in for a quick cup when I'm on the road or waiting for a train (seems every train station in NJ has a ticket machine and a DD kiosk). The doughnuts and other food items are blah and largely ignored I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM

9,434 posts, read 18,343,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I've never seen a Tim Horton's in the US.
Stopped at Tim Hortons before in New London, CT, Erie, PA, & somehwere in Maine. They're OK, would rather go there than Dunkies for sure.

I think Dunkies caught on and expanded so quickly as they pioneered the drive through coffee concept. For Northeasterners on the run, it's a given the demand was there. I wholeheartedly agree with many posters here, the food is absolute crap. and the coffee isn't that great either.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 PM

56,142 posts, read 54,613,656 times
DD does have a good corn muffin and good hot chocolate. My daughter worked there part-time in high school so I learned that. Pretty much everything else you can keep.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
So I notice that Dunkin Donuts is very popular with people up north. Particularly the northeast.

My question is, why? I've been to one, and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the donuts. They were dry and flavorless outside of the little bit of glaze.

So where's the hype from? Did I just order the wrong thing or is there something else I'm missing?
I don't eat Dunkin Donuts but then again I lived in NC a great deal of my life therefore I'll drive out of my way to get Krispy Kreme as opposed to eating at the nearby Dunkin Donuts.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,173,373 times
Really don't care for any of them over a Mom & Pop donut/coffee shop. None of them within miles of here anyway, closest one would be a Tim Hortons (best of the ones mentioned in my opinion) and that is about 70 miles. I had to look up the other ones Closest DD is 150 miles away, and closest Krispy Kreme is 100 miles. My wife grew up in MA so she is a dedicated DD person when it comes to coffee, but will take a Tim Hortons donut or meal over DD any day of the week.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM

3,773 posts, read 2,563,165 times
Yeah, Its only for the cofee before work. Here in Florida just about everybody is from the NE so at dunkin the drive thru line is wrapped all around the building every morning. The donuts are far from fresh... Krispy Kreme is where its at.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM

912 posts, read 858,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Given the choice of chains, I'll take Einstein Bagels over any donut shop.

Einstein Bagels == not real bagels...

A fresh bagel yummmm much better then any donut!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,518,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Doughnuts isn't where DD makes its money anymore. DD sells more coffee than anything. The coffee from DD is meh IMO, but it'll do in a pinch. And in NJ you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a DD, so it's got the convenient factor going for it too. And it's fast.

The people who seem most enthusiastic about DD are those who like flavored coffees. If you want a big hazelnut latte or a frozen whipped whoop-di-doo for a dime, DD is a good option.

I just like a plain cup of black coffee. So I usually just stop in for a quick cup when I'm on the road or waiting for a train (seems every train station in NJ has a ticket machine and a DD kiosk). The doughnuts and other food items are blah and largely ignored I think.
Agreed. I'm chuckling at people saying that they go to Krispy Kreme for donuts rather than Dunkin (obviously KK's are waaaay better!) because most people go to DD for the coffee and other drinks. Sometimes I'll grab a donut, too, but they're nothing too special. People don't usually go to Dunkin just for donuts. If they get a dozen, they'll usually also get one of those big box of joes that you can serve coffee out of for many people. Dunkin's bagels aren't great, either. Their muffins and munckins are pretty good, though.

Most people I have met go to DD for the coffee, not the donuts everyone! haha

The line I bolded made me laugh

Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,777,286 times
could give a rat's ass about DD, KK, TH or doughnuts and coffee in general. if i go once a year it's a lot. there are too many DD around here IMHO.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,137,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Einstein Bagels == not real bagels...

A fresh bagel yummmm much better then any donut!
I disagree with that. I've generally had bagels that most ppl up north wouldn't consider real bagels. But there was this mom and pop italian restaurant that was opened up by this family from Connecticut. For breakfast they would sell bagels. He gave me this thing he called an "everything bagel" and I actually really loved it. But even so, I'll take a nice, crispy, chewy glazed donut any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.