U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 PM

34 posts, read 48,783 times

Advertisements

Lizard Lick, North Carolina. Ever seen that show Lizard lick Towing? Yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,740,688 times
I don't have links because this is based on local feelings.

Louisiana: Elton is known for it's eerie nature. Montpelier is also reputed to be a rundown ghost town full of gawkers. The town of Livingston has also been the target of odd rumors.

New York: Any small/medium town in the southern tier typically come with the reputation of being hillbillies and crooks. But ones I heard a lot about growing up there were Beaver Dams, Erin, Addison, Vestal and Montour Falls. Now, having grown up in the area I never really noticed anything. However, having long since moved away, looking back I can see why a lot of outsiders feel uncomfortable there. We are kind of weird in our own way.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:00 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,983,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
I am fascinated with American towns, counties, and parks with quirky reputations.

Here are two examples:

Alton Confidential: Naked truths about bare-breasted barmaids, horrific murders and the ghosts that haunt our favorite little river town - Page 1 - News - St. Louis - Riverfront Times

Humboldt County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What are some areas you know that has a seedy reputation or history?
Interesting thread redbacchus!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 AM

10 posts, read 6,185 times
Default Denver City Texas

Denver City TX a small oil town it is got a bad rep for many things.

1.Rotten egg smell from oil refinery is very pervasive after awhile u get used 2 it.

2.Long standing rumors of corruption of local cops and sheriff.

3.Lee Kidd and Dale Carter 2 local business men are said 2 own most land of Yoakom county

4.You don't cross Kidd or Carter is what my grandpa ,mom,and kids at school always said.

5.Rumor the local judge when i lived there was a close friend of Kidd and Carter.

6.There is nothing more important than football the town spent one million dollars on a gym just for the football team

My grandpa once owned Plainsmen Supply a pipe fitting retail store he knew most of the oil men and good friend of most for years. But when he first move there in 1985 he got a job as an electrician for the town.
As he got to knowing the more bout oil business he started his Plainsmen Supply. 2 years before he passed away he told me that before his business took off one of Kidd's pushers came by and asked him for help with a oil tank. They drove there in the pushers truck walk to the top of the tank and the pusher said "When this tank gets rusty we throw in several pounds of caustic soda u know that stuff will it threw a body in just a few hours scary huh". After that my grandpa said they just walk back to the truck and he was dropped off at the Plainsmen and he never saw the pusher again .Bout a couple months later his Lawyer called him for something about a naming rights of Plainsmen Supply when he enter the building there was a FBI agent and they were wanting him to answer questions bout Lee Kidd & Carter He qiukly said no and left the Lawyers office that was the first and only time my Grandpa ever saw a G-man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or