U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:30 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Charlotte, and:

- Detroit
- Boston
- Seattle
- Atlanta
- Washington (D.C.)
- Baltimore
- Las Vegas
- Miami
- Portland
- Cleveland
- Cincinnati

(And before anyone starts, I'm just going by city population because I'm assuming PortCity is thinking the same)
Signifiying nothing. It never does, and yet people keep bringing it up. ZZZZZZZZZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,190,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
It beats anything Houston has
What a silly comment. That silly ditch is not nearly as important as the port of Houston, NASA, Intercontinental airport or the wealth of companies located there.

Saying a drainage ditch in SA beats those thing is the silliest thing I have heard all week

Old 05-18-2013, 05:01 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Providence
Wilmington, DE
Milwaukee
Albany, NY

Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,273,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
What a silly comment. That silly ditch is not nearly as important as the port of Houston, NASA, Intercontinental airport or the wealth of companies located there.

Saying a drainage ditch in SA beats those thing is the silliest thing I have heard all week
calm down htown....and its a 300 mile river.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:55 PM

3,263 posts, read 4,676,883 times
I hear about San Antonio basically never, but I often hear about Austin. That's why I'm saying it seems overshadowed.

We're talking about an MSA larger than Nashville, Las Vegas, Orlando, Cincinnati, and Kansas City. Not to mention Austin. But I hear about all those cities much more than I hear about San Antonio. I guess not following basketball might have something to do with it.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 PM
MPC

695 posts, read 989,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
What does land size have to do with anything? Oklahoma City and Houston are in the neighborhood of 600 square miles and don't hear anyone squawking about their populations being disproportionate. Jacksonville's population density is 989 per square mile versus the Florida average of 285 per square mile, which is pretty good for the 4th largest metro area in a low density state.
Yeah but if Houston was the size of JAX it would have 500,000 more people at 2.73 million. If JAX was the size of HOU then it would have 670,000. If it is about density, Miami's is 11,500 per square mile. If it was the size of JAX it would be as big if not bigger than NYC at 8.4 million.

I do however, agree on Oklahoma City.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,194,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Signifiying nothing. It never does, and yet people keep bringing it up. ZZZZZZZZZ

That was in reference to people thinking of Fort Worth as a "suburb", mostly, which pretty much downgrades and downplays that city.

I'm pretty sure that people unaware or totally ignorant of how large a city is and what role it plays in an area part of the reason WHY the city is overshadowed.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:40 PM

639 posts, read 940,411 times
Buffalo, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City

Tampa Bay is overshadowed for a metro it's size. The population size is in the same range as San Diego and Denver metros, which get more attention (at least on CD).

San Jose the city itself may be overshadowed. However, you hear a lot of talk about the Silicon Valley and the Bay Area in general, so in a way it is not that overshadowed.

Philly gets a lot of attention CD. In real life it seems to be overshadowed by the other big cities in the Bos-Wash Corridor, with the exception of Baltimore. NYC, Boston, and DC get a lot more recognition than Philly IMO.

St. Louis gets quite a bit of attention on CD, but again, in reality I feel like you don't hear much about it.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 05-18-2013 at 08:59 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 PM

296 posts, read 484,712 times
1. Philly is very overshadowed. I honestly don't think most people realize that the Philly metro has almost six million people. Philly is talked about as if it is on the same level as Baltimore, St Louis, and Cleveland.
2. Fort Worth- I honestly know nothing about Ft. Worth. Does the city even have a convention center? I know Irving has one. I have never heard anyone say they are going to Ft Worth on business, etc.
3. Columbus, OH- Overshadowed by Cleveland & Cincinnati. Most seem to think Columbus is a Midwestern college city like Ann Arbor or Madison.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,325,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
It beats anything Houston has
How many tourists come from other states that don't border Texas and don't come in for conventions? I'd be VERY curious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or