U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:37 AM

21,258 posts, read 30,535,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Buffalo, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City

Tampa Bay is overshadowed for a metro it's size. The population size is in the same range as San Diego and Denver metros, which get more attention (at least on CD).

San Jose the city itself may be overshadowed. However, you hear a lot of talk about the Silicon Valley and the Bay Area in general, so in a way it is not that overshadowed.

Philly gets a lot of attention CD. In real life it seems to be overshadowed by the other big cities in the Bos-Wash Corridor, with the exception of Baltimore. NYC, Boston, and DC get a lot more recognition than Philly IMO.

St. Louis gets quite a bit of attention on CD, but again, in reality I feel like you don't hear much about it.
I agree with pretty much all of your points, particularly the Tampa Bay area which many are surprised is the 18th largest metro area in the US. Philly in my opinion as well gets excessive exposure on City Data (almost ad nauseum in the City vs City forum) but have to say I don't think it's overlooked in general in the Northeast. That may have been the case 10 years ago but certainly no longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,244,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
How many tourists come from other states that don't border Texas and don't come in for conventions? I'd be VERY curious!
I have meet tourist from not just the US, but from ASL around the world in San Antonio.

Why would you think they would just be from Texas?

Many people do tours of the US and Sea World and Six Flags are major stopping points.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:52 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,181,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
1. Philly is very overshadowed. I honestly don't think most people realize that the Philly metro has almost six million people. Philly is talked about as if it is on the same level as Baltimore, St Louis, and Cleveland.
2. Fort Worth- I honestly know nothing about Ft. Worth. Does the city even have a convention center? I know Irving has one. I have never heard anyone say they are going to Ft Worth on business, etc.
3. Columbus, OH- Overshadowed by Cleveland & Cincinnati. Most seem to think Columbus is a Midwestern college city like Ann Arbor or Madison.
Columbus was a complete surprise to me. I never expected it to be a city of that scale. I loved it there.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 AM
JJG

13,250 posts, read 19,233,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
2. Fort Worth- I honestly know nothing about Ft. Worth. Does the city even have a convention center? I know Irving has one. I have never heard anyone say they are going to Ft Worth on business, etc.
^^^ See what mean, people?

And yes, there IS a convention center here. They held some of the Super Bowl XLV events...

Old 05-19-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
^^^ See what mean, people?

And yes, there IS a convention center here. They held some of the Super Bowl XLV events...
Thought superbowl XLV was in Dallas

Old 05-19-2013, 11:14 AM

654 posts, read 1,619,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Thought superbowl XLV was in Dallas
It was in Arlington, which is closer to Ft Worth, so I can see claiming it.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 AM
JJG

13,250 posts, read 19,233,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
It was in Arlington, which is closer to Ft Worth, so I can see claiming it.
...she knows that.

Just being sarcastic.

Although it was called the "North Texas" Super Bowl and it was a "joint effort", many people just called it the "Dallas Super Bowl", which is just another example in the millions of others you could use.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 PM

That was one mighty cold superbowl they had up there in Dallas I tell you what.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,999,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Columbus was a complete surprise to me. I never expected it to be a city of that scale. I loved it there.
I always though (until several days ago--through this forum) Cleveland was Ohio's largest city because that's usually the one you always hear about.

Columbus looks like it might be as good a city as any other.

As I've aged I've come to think of cities like I think of women. When I was much younger, big breasts, big but, smile and superficial appearances were all that mattered, regardless if I was not all aware that was my only concern.

Not that I don't like an attractive looking woman with a great shaped butt. But there is more to living in a city--like living with or finding a good woman--than reputation sake and superficial qualities.

It also depends on one's economic standing and priorities. A persons of less economic means might have to consider crime and violence to a great extent, because they have less economic means to shelter themselves from those things. They probably aren't attending operas and ballets either and don't have a lot of disposable income.

Which is what I disliked about Las Vegas when I very briefly lived there tearing down diesel engines for $6 an hour. There was really not much to do or experience leisurely with no money.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 PM

2,176 posts, read 980,342 times
baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or