U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
What makes you think that Houston in particular is a "hated" city in the state of Texas? Just curious as to the reasoning.
Here in Victoria, two hours away, ask ten people why they love Victoria. Nine will say "Because it's far enough from Houston". The other one will say "Because it's close enough to San Antonio", which is also two hours away..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,203,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here in Victoria, two hours away, ask ten people why they love Victoria. Nine will say "Because it's far enough from Houston". The other one will say "Because it's close enough to San Antonio", which is also two hours away..
That's it? All you are going by to make your judgement on Houston being hated is what some people say in your town of Victoria? I thought there was more to it, like maybe a well-known unfavorable opinion people in rest of the state have of Houston.

For instance, the Golden-Triangle region of Southeast Texas, including cities like Beaumont, and Port Arthur, do not have a great reputation in the state, due to the lower quality of life caused by the concentration of the refineries. Derogatory nicknames such as "Armpit of Texas," are used commonly for the region. Such unfavorable views of the region are well documented:
Urban Dictionary: Armpit of Texas
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/us/19PCB.html?_r=0
Port Arthur, Texas: Small City, Reluctant International Toxic Dump

Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 AM

2,959 posts, read 3,825,812 times
For California, it's the inland cities (Stockton/Modesto) followed by the Inland Empire for Southern California. Within LA, it's South LA.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:36 AM

526 posts, read 463,499 times
out of the places i have lived i would say.
Michigan - Detroit since its such a dump
N.C. - Goldsboro, just a really ugly place imo
Florida - Orlando, nothing but tourists who cant drive and horrible traffic, also there no beach
NY - probably buffalo. none thinks NY has anything of importance outside of NYC
Illinois - Peoria, kind of a chicago dumping ground

Old 04-01-2015, 10:19 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,520,847 times
In SC I hate to say it but probably Columbia...Columbia is actually a great city and I find that people from out of state tend to like it more than people from in state but it seems like everyone from other parts of the state have nothing but bad things to say!

If youre from a small town, its too big, if youre from Greenville its dirty, and if youre from Charleston its not Charleston!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:14 PM

9,866 posts, read 21,161,251 times
I was looking through tee shirts at Goodwill the other day and came across a shirt that said "Imagine Kentucky Without Louisville" and it had the map of the state with Jefferson County blacked out. Made me chuckle. It looked like it had been worn a lot.

In Kentucky people mostly make fun of Eastern KY (very rural and mostly poor) or Louisville, especially the West End (urban, "high crime"). Lexington and KY's Cincinnati suburbs get a free pass.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,825,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
In North Carolina, it's probably Cary. Cary has the most transplant saturated rep in the state (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees). It's also a glimpse of the direction many NC major metros have been heading down. Very vanilla, strip malls, family-oriented, soulless, losing southern/old-timey NC flavor as time goes by, filled with transplanted families from New York/New Jersey or Florida, etc.
I'd say that the most hated place in NC right now is the state legislature building on Jones Street in Raleigh. Within the building itself, the most hated places are clearly the cities of Charlotte, Raleigh and Durham.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM

15,534 posts, read 17,769,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

In Kentucky people mostly make fun of Eastern KY (very rural and mostly poor) or Louisville, especially the West End (urban, "high crime"). Lexington and KY's Cincinnati suburbs get a free pass.
It does seem that northern Kentucky gets (Cincinnati suburbs) are considered 'not true Kentucky' by a lot of folks, but I am not sure if that makes the disliked or merely disregarded when Kentuckians poder the nature of their state.

As far as Louisville, It seems to me that all cities on the Ohio River are kind of oddballs of their respective states. It is like the Ohio River valley is a cultural region of its own. Not Northern, not Southern, not Appalachian, but with influences from all three.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 PM

4,079 posts, read 2,129,425 times
Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi: The worst areas of each of these go together because they border each other. The Mississippi River area between the Missouri line and Baton Rouge is pretty much disliked for its extremely high poverty and its remoteness from amenities.

Texas - the most ignored area, as stated earlier, is the Rio Grande Valley area, but anything west of I-35 is pretty low on the preference list as well.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,276,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'd say that the most hated place in NC right now is the state legislature building on Jones Street in Raleigh. Within the building itself, the most hated places are clearly the cities of Charlotte, Raleigh and Durham.
Ha! Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.