U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:17 AM

4,471 posts, read 7,288,883 times

Advertisements

In Georgia, for anyone who lives in Atlanta, it's the rest of Georgia (exception being Savannah). Those in rural Georgia detest Atlanta.

Pretty sure most everyone likes Savannah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,565,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Philly is disliked by many in Pennsylvania. I know blackbeauty mentioned Pittsburgh too with PA, but I definitely think most of the state has a better opinion of Pittsburgh than Philly.
If it does, it aint by much......Rural parts of the state dominate Pennsylvania politics over both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia put together and that sooooo wrong....I've never seen such a dynamic in any other state that exist in PA. Where the 2 major cities (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh) are the sole "Makers" of PA, yet it's the "Takers" that have all the say-so in Harrisburg. The Takers hate that any Tax-dollars get funneled back into the Makers of the state, take the Transportation-Crisis in PA for instance.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,254,868 times
In Massachusetts there doesn't seem to be one area that everyone hates or mocks. Occasionally you'll here about people in Berkshires complain about Boston getting all the "stuff," but in general we like to make fun of other states: Maine, New York, California, every state south of the Mason-Dixon, etc...

Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,931,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
In Massachusetts there doesn't seem to be one area that everyone hates or mocks. Occasionally you'll here about people in Berkshires complain about Boston getting all the "stuff," but in general we like to make fun of other states: Maine, New York, California, every state south of the Mason-Dixon, etc...
Really? I was going to say Worcester or Lawrence.

For NH it would have to be Nashua or Manchester, but we would rather pick on our neighbors to the south

Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,103,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Hmmm, a fun but inflammatory thread.

TX- DFW Metroplex or Waco (aka Wacko).

MI- Detroit

CA- Bakersfield for SoCal, maybe Stockton for NoCal

MN- St. Cloud

A funny joke someone from Iowa once told me. If you take the 10 southernmost counties in Iowa that border Missouri and and gave them to Missouri, you would raise both states average IQ by 10 points.
I can vouch that D/FW is not hated by the majority of Texans. Dallas may take some heat from time to time for its materialistic, plastic nature & pathetic football team that thinks they are God's gift to professional sports, but that's about it.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,184,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Might one of those reasons be named Michele Bachmann?
Minnesota Nice only goes so far.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:44 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,254,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Really? I was going to say Worcester or Lawrence.

For NH it would have to be Nashua or Manchester, but we would rather pick on our neighbors to the south
I guess you're right. Brockton and Lawrence get it a lot. Don't hear much about Worcester, probably because the city is slowly improving. Brockton and Lawrence...not so much.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:13 PM

1,190 posts, read 875,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I can vouch that D/FW is not hated by the majority of Texans. Dallas may take some heat from time to time for its materialistic, plastic nature & pathetic football team that thinks they are God's gift to professional sports, but that's about it.
Unless you have a poll to back that up, I don't think you can say it isn't hated by most Texans. It was really looked down on by most of the people I knew in Austin and Houston. Some people in Houston refer to Dallas as Oklahoma's largest city (not meant as a complement). Then there's whole $30,000 millionaire thing, which certainly isn't unique to Dallas, but in the rest of the state pretty much a euphemism for Metroplex residents. I'm not saying Dallas is the worst city to live in Texas. I would much rather live there than most of the smaller towns/cities in Texas. But there is no other city/region that I have heard badmouthed by Texans as much as the Metroplex. When I talk to friends from the Metroplex, they are much more likely to talk bad about another part of the Metroplex (people from Dallas saying Fort Worth is boring, people from the rest of DFW insulting Dallas) than to put down another part of the state.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:42 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
In Georgia, for anyone who lives in Atlanta, it's the rest of Georgia (exception being Savannah). Those in rural Georgia detest Atlanta.

Pretty sure most everyone likes Savannah.
LOL, that's pretty much it.

For my native SC, it's probably the Pee Dee area which is roughly the I-95 corridor north of I-26 and surrounding areas.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,288,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, that's pretty much it.

For my native SC, it's probably the Pee Dee area which is roughly the I-95 corridor north of I-26 and surrounding areas.
Ah yes, the Florence-Dillon area west of Myrtle Beach. You could probably also throw in Orangeburg for good measure.

Actually, anything between Myrtle Beach, Columbia and Lumberton (NC) on the border is something similar to a black hole in S.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.