U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for recent grads to find gainful employment finance/accounting:
Charlotte 18 37.50%
Raleigh 10 20.83%
Ashville 1 2.08%
Charleston 9 18.75%
Myrtle Beach 1 2.08%
Atlanta 17 35.42%
Savannah 2 4.17%
Tampa 5 10.42%
Miami 3 6.25%
Other. Please Explain. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:37 PM

3,406 posts, read 7,560,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Only some neighborhoods that you DO NOT WANT TO BE IN are still somewhat affected by Katrina. Trust me - you wouldn't have wanted to venture into them before Katrina any more than you would want to now.

The rest of New Orleans is literally better than it was before. NOLA is so much cleaner and pleasant than before Katrina. You really should check it out. It's an amazing, fascinating, odd city - like no other on this earth.

I love it there. Can't wait to go back!
Thanks for the info! I'm hoping we will get a chance to stop by NOLA this summer. It does seem amazing and interesting. I'm used to safe, clean, and quiet neighborhoods so I would want to have access to areas like that as well.

How far is it from I-95?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 PM

29 posts, read 43,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm hoping we will get a chance to stop by NOLA this summer. It does seem amazing and interesting. I'm used to safe, clean, and quiet neighborhoods so I would want to have access to areas like that as well.

How far is it from I-95?
I think New Orleans is about 9 hours from I-95 via I-10. Driving from the northeast, you would probably wiggle your way with different interstates such as I-59. Nola does have a airport with non-stop flights to most major cities though.

About "safe, clean, and quiet neighborhoods" you have plenty of options from middle to upper class areas and coming from Boston, the cost of homes is probably laughable to you. My family lives in an area of town called "Old Metairie" which is different than the rest of the Metairie suburb. Old Metairie is very safe due to the fact that there is so much money in this part of town and there are a lot of patrols. The newspaper stories that come out of here are violations of ordinances regarding of the "tree conservation laws" or a new house is being built on some street that is being built "too high." This is a long way from the problems that the inner city areas face that gives New Orleans its bad rep for safety. One thing that determines which neighborhoods will be safe is by the amount of communicating with the police. You can be sure that my neighbors will call the cops upon seeing someone walking that seems suspicious. Residents in gang affiliated areas have that "no snitch" policy and are afraid of the cops.

Anyways, I would check out the following areas when you visit:

Uptown
Lakeview
Mid City
Metairie

Others feel free to add on top of what I just said!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,153,036 times
No clue on that one. I know Tampa has Raymond James headquartered here, which I hear is a great company. Maybe other places have more opportunities though. Isn't Charlotte the banking capital of America now? Atlanta has a lot of Finance going on too.

A lot of the major metros in the deep south have economies that revolve around tourism. Miami, Tampa, Orlando, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, all of these the major backbone of the economy is tourism.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 AM

44,775 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:

How far is it from I-95?
You will love the Garden District of New Orleans then. Just hop on the cable car downtown and head east. Then after a good lunch at the Camellia Grill, go check out Metairie. In fact, you should spend an afternoon in Metairie. The Captains Gallery there serves fabulous local seafood if you'd rather have that than an open face roast beef sandwich at Camellia Grill, and then later in the day you could enjoy the local ambiance of a great little pub called Oscars, which is right on Metairie Road (awesome little place for local, authentic ambiance rather than touristy stuff). In between you could go to City Park and enjoy the museums, paddle boats, beautiful grounds, etc. I love Metairie. Much of my family is from there and I lived there when I was small.

As far as interstates go, do you mean I-90? It's very close to I-90. Depending on what direction you're coming from, you either take I-59 or I-10 or I-55 straight into NOLA.

Think of me when you pass the Joy Theater on Canal Street - my family used to own that and my uncle Joy started up all the Joy Theaters which used to be sprinkled throughout the ArkLaTex.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM

29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
No clue on that one. I know Tampa has Raymond James headquartered here, which I hear is a great company. Maybe other places have more opportunities though. Isn't Charlotte the banking capital of America now? Atlanta has a lot of Finance going on too.
NYC is still the banking capital of the country by far, but Charlotte ranks highly in this industry. It's a good place to look for banking jobs.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
A lot of the major metros in the deep south have economies that revolve around tourism. Miami, Tampa, Orlando, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, all of these the major backbone of the economy is tourism.
Pretty sure Jacksonville's economy does not revolve around tourism at all. For the rest of your list, that might be true.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I am certainly looking forward to visiting New Orleans, especially for an occasion like Jazz Fest.

My boyfriend and I have narrowed it down to two cities: Charleston SC & Charlotte NC

We are going to visit both cities in two months. I'm so excited! Right now I like Charleston more because of its proximity to beaches, warmer weather, and more "Southern" feel to it. Charlotte seems like a good choice because it may be better for our careers to live in a major city like Charlotte.

Which do you guys think would be a better city for us?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NYC is still the banking capital of the country by far, but Charlotte ranks highly in this industry. It's a good place to look for banking jobs.
Charlotte is considered the second biggest banking city in the country behind NYC.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM

29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. I am certainly looking forward to visiting New Orleans, especially for an occasion like Jazz Fest.

My boyfriend and I have narrowed it down to two cities: Charleston SC & Charlotte NC

We are going to visit both cities in two months. I'm so excited! Right now I like Charleston more because of its proximity to beaches, warmer weather, and more "Southern" feel to it. Charlotte seems like a good choice because it may be better for our careers to live in a major city like Charlotte.

Which do you guys think would be a better city for us?
Career-wise, Charlotte is a better choice overall. But if you're in the healthcare, higher ed, aerospace, or defense technology sectors, Charleston might be better. If the weather, geography, and a city with more of a sense of place are more important, than Charleston would definitely suit you better. If it's career, amenities, and being more centrally located, then it's easily Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Charlotte is considered the second biggest banking city in the country behind NYC.
Indeed.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 PM

It seems like Charlotte would be so much better career wise but Charleston is GORGEOUS and WARMER. Life is funny, is it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or