Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for recent grads to find gainful employment finance/accounting:
Charlotte 18 37.50%
Raleigh 10 20.83%
Ashville 1 2.08%
Charleston 9 18.75%
Myrtle Beach 1 2.08%
Atlanta 17 35.42%
Savannah 2 4.17%
Tampa 5 10.42%
Miami 3 6.25%
Other. Please Explain. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 PM

37,880 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
7% is not bad. I believe that is the rate here in Boston and there are jobs aplenty here. 9% seems a bit high. Do you know why Charlotte has high unemployment?
It has a pretty large banking/finance sector, which was hit very hard by the economic downturn. So it's taking a little longer for the city to recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
New Orleans is on the gulf. Is that not beach? Why Charleston? thanks!
Well, you said you wanted to be near the East Coast, so that wouldn't be New Orleans, and, no, they don't have a beach.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,619 times
Tampa-St. Petersburg

Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you like actual cities (versus larger towns) that leaves you with Atlanta, Miami, Tampa-St Pete, Charlotte and Raleigh. The unemployment rates for those cities are all in the 7% range except for Charlotte which is nearly 9%. In terms of cost of living versus salary you're going to take a hit in Miami so I would throw it out as well. A one hour commute to the beach is attainable only in the Tampa Bay area so that eliminates Atlanta and Raleigh which are closer to three hours away. It sounds at the very least you should have a finalist with the Tampa Bay area.
I can get to the beach from Raleigh in less than two hours. It's certainly not an hour but it's not 3.
Of the cities listed, Raleigh has the best economy at the moment.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:17 AM

27,185 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I can get to the beach from Raleigh in less than two hours. It's certainly not an hour but it's not 3. Of the cities listed, Raleigh has the best economy at the moment.
Actually the Tampa Bay area has a 6.9% unemployment rate while Raleigh is at 7.1 % which would indicate the Tampa Bay area's economy is "best at the moment". It is in fact 130 miles from the eastern edge of Raleigh to Wrightsville Beach (the most direct beach access). One can get there in less than two hours if one is high-tailing it the entire way but in actuality one wouldn't make that kind of time on a busy Friday or Saturday for example or if one lived in the western half of Raleigh.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Charleston's unemployment rate is 6.4%(Boston's is 5.9%). Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually the Tampa Bay area has a 6.9% unemployment rate while Raleigh is at 7.1 % which would indicate the Tampa Bay area's economy is "best at the moment". It is in fact 130 miles from the eastern edge of Raleigh to Wrightsville Beach (the most direct beach access). One can get there in less than two hours if one is high-tailing it the entire way but in actuality one wouldn't make that kind of time on a busy Friday or Saturday for example or if one lived in the western half of Raleigh.
Raleigh has more professional opportunities than Tampa. Its workforce is more educated and the types of jobs offered in the Triangle are more professional. So, 6.9 vs 7.1?

Regarding travelling to the beach, I have made this trip many times and I have never chosen to put myself in rush hour traffic to do so.
It's never taken me more than 2 hours from DT Raleigh where I live. I40 between Raleigh and Wilmington is a fast straight road that is mostly rated 70mph. One doesn't have to be "high-tailing it" to make the trip under 2 hours. It usually takes me 1:45 @ 75mph on the main stretch of 40. For those to the north or west of DT, the trip can be longer. For those who are to the east and south, it can be shorter. For those driving 80 mph or faster, do the math.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Tampa-St. Petersburg
Interesting. I always assumed that area was a sleepy beach town with a blighted economy (especially since the oil spill).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I can get to the beach from Raleigh in less than two hours. It's certainly not an hour but it's not 3.
Of the cities listed, Raleigh has the best economy at the moment.
I'll have to do some research on Raleigh. It might be worth checking out. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Quote:
Basically, where is the safest place for a recent grad and sort of recent grad (he graduated 3 years ago) to find employment and be able to afford to live? We like cities. The most important thing to me is that we will be able to find jobs & live decently.

My degree is in accounting (expected in December). I want to either work in a large CPA firm or somewhere finance/banking related. My BF is a security guard and might go to grad school. I prefer places close to the beach (an hour or less). My BF prefers being able to afford to rent a spacious place, and having a job he can drive to without crazy traffic.

My BF & I are planning on moving somewhere completely different than where we are now (Boston, MA).

We want to be somewhere with a booming middle class that has abundant opportunities for recent grads & short winters.

Boston has a ton of jobs for recent grads but the winters here are so not worth it anymore! Thanks for the help!
- hour or less from beach - Charleston, Savannah, Charleston
- no crazy traffic out of the cities listed AND an hour from beach - Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Savannah
- booming middle class AND short winter - Charleston, savannah, myrtle beach (colder than charleston, and savannah though)

I lived in Savannah and wouldn't recommend it. myrtle Beach is cool but I think Charleston would be the winner in my opinion and using your criteria.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
While I love Charleston as a vacation spot, it strikes me as having a very established social heirarchy. So I vote for Raleigh - it seems like more of a middle class city. The closest beach is near Wilmington which is a cool little city.

Raliegh will be close to your friends back home. You could even take the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.