U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Best city for recent grads to find gainful employment finance/accounting:
Charlotte 18 37.50%
Raleigh 10 20.83%
Ashville 1 2.08%
Charleston 9 18.75%
Myrtle Beach 1 2.08%
Atlanta 17 35.42%
Savannah 2 4.17%
Tampa 5 10.42%
Miami 3 6.25%
Other. Please Explain. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,406 posts, read 7,564,000 times
Reputation: 3053

Advertisements

Basically, where is the safest place for a recent grad and sort of recent grad (he graduated 3 years ago) to find employment and be able to afford to live? We like cities. The most important thing to me is that we will be able to find jobs & live decently.

My degree is in accounting (expected in December). I want to either work in a large CPA firm or somewhere finance/banking related. My BF is a security guard and might go to grad school. I prefer places close to the beach (an hour or less). My BF prefers being able to afford to rent a spacious place, and having a job he can drive to without crazy traffic.


My BF & I are planning on moving somewhere completely different than where we are now (Boston, MA).


We want to be somewhere with a booming middle class that has abundant opportunities for recent grads & short winters.

Boston has a ton of jobs for recent grads but the winters here are so not worth it anymore! Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 PM
 
56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Reputation: 12521
Charleston.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,406 posts, read 7,564,000 times
Reputation: 3053
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Charleston.....

Thanks. What are your reasons for suggesting this city? Charleston is on our top 3. It seems like a wonderful place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 06:39 PM
 
56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Reputation: 12521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Thanks. What are your reasons for suggesting this city? Charleston is on our top 3. It seems like a wonderful place to live.
It is a growing area with an increasing educational attainment and its location allows you to enjoy the things you want to do, with the weather you want. There are plenty of colleges in the area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 PM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Reputation: 18529
Maybe you guys should look into the Texas cities, since their economies are better than most of the cities listed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,406 posts, read 7,564,000 times
Reputation: 3053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Maybe you guys should look into the Texas cities, since their economies are better than most of the cities listed here.

Texas does seem like its booming but I want to stay near the East Coast. I would consider Texas eventually but not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 05:37 AM
 
21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Reputation: 19627
If you like actual cities (versus larger towns) that leaves you with Atlanta, Miami, Tampa-St Pete, Charlotte and Raleigh. The unemployment rates for those cities are all in the 7% range except for Charlotte which is nearly 9%. In terms of cost of living versus salary you're going to take a hit in Miami so I would throw it out as well. A one hour commute to the beach is attainable only in the Tampa Bay area so that eliminates Atlanta and Raleigh which are closer to three hours away. It sounds at the very least you should have a finalist with the Tampa Bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,809,128 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Texas does seem like its booming but I want to stay near the East Coast. I would consider Texas eventually but not now.
So I guess that's a no for New Orleans as well.

I'd also recommend Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,406 posts, read 7,564,000 times
Reputation: 3053
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you like actual cities (versus larger towns) that leaves you with Atlanta, Miami, Tampa-St Pete, Charlotte and Raleigh. The unemployment rates for those cities are all in the 7% range except for Charlotte which is nearly 9%. In terms of cost of living versus salary you're going to take a hit in Miami so I would throw it out as well. A one hour commute to the beach is attainable only in the Tampa Bay area so that eliminates Atlanta and Raleigh which are closer to three hours away. It sounds at the very least you should have a finalist with the Tampa Bay area.

7% is not bad. I believe that is the rate here in Boston and there are jobs aplenty here. 9% seems a bit high. Do you know why Charlotte has high unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,406 posts, read 7,564,000 times
Reputation: 3053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So I guess that's a no for New Orleans as well.

I'd also recommend Charleston.

New Orleans is on the gulf. Is that not beach? Why Charleston? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top