U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,548,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I can't help but really notice what goes on on the roads...I have since not too long after starting driving when I was 18,and have also noticed certain patterns as well. For example,in the states I've driven in -

New Jersey has a certain psychoticism to it...for the most part people seem ok,but once they get behind the wheel it's a real competition! I've seen people try and one up each other,even at the risk of high speed danger!

Pennsylvania seems to be anything goes,people drive as fast as they want and there seems to ever be much of an 'enforcement' presence.

I was recently in upstate New York again and it seems more even paced than NJ...also noticed lots more police so maybe they mean more business there...

Nice thread. Very ironic for me, because a few years ago when we moved to Vermont, I still lived in Pa for a few months before meeting my wife in VT, so I would drive through PA, NJ and NY on my way to Vermont every weekend. In every state, the level of anxiousness dropped. Leaving the crazy Philly area into NJ was sort of a relief, upper North Jersey actually isnt too bad . . . Getting on the NY Thruway, you breathed a sigh of relief. Easy sailing from here on in. Some stretches had more deer than cars.
Outside of Troy/Albany, going into VT late at night, it was very eerie to me at first. I was the only car on the road for miles!! Like the Twilight Zone or something

Be safe out there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 AM

3,082 posts, read 3,172,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Nice thread. Very ironic for me, because a few years ago when we moved to Vermont, I still lived in Pa for a few months before meeting my wife in VT, so I would drive through PA, NJ and NY on my way to Vermont every weekend. In every state, the level of anxiousness dropped. Leaving the crazy Philly area into NJ was sort of a relief, upper North Jersey actually isnt too bad . . . Getting on the NY Thruway, you breathed a sigh of relief. Easy sailing from here on in. Some stretches had more deer than cars.
Outside of Troy/Albany, going into VT late at night, it was very eerie to me at first. I was the only car on the road for miles!! Like the Twilight Zone or something
Same for me in reverse lol...I went from those areas to meeting my wife in Philly,so I occasionally still feel that old relief heading away

I'd have to check out VT,I got similar feelings driving through rural NC...but now I think I'm ready to expand westward and after living in the big city I don't think I'd ever feel eerie in the country at night

Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,101,444 times
Chicago drivers will drive on the shoulder to get through traffic, i saw it every day.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:21 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,406,762 times
Florida: Worst combination of old people, New Yorkers, tourists and immigrants when it comes to driving. I-95 in Florida and I-4 between Orlando and Tampa have both been rated as the deadliest roads in the country.

New Jersey: Having grown up here I agree with the general sentiment that we are aggressive, fast, and discourteous on the road. Trying to get over into another lane can be an ordeal.

Ohio: SLOW but polite.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:55 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,101,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Florida: Worst combination of old people, New Yorkers, tourists and immigrants when it comes to driving. I-95 in Florida and I-4 between Orlando and Tampa have both been rated as the deadliest roads in the country.

New Jersey: Having grown up here I agree with the general sentiment that we are aggressive, fast, and discourteous on the road. Trying to get over into another lane can be an ordeal.

Ohio: SLOW but polite.
When was the last time you were in ohio?

Old 05-19-2013, 03:30 PM

3,082 posts, read 3,172,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
It also might depend on the area of the state,when I drove across the northern tier they seemed kind of sped up...

Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times
In the Twin Cities ive seen some pretty crazy people and I've seen some very slow people, a lot of people fail to get up to highway speed when entering the highway which is annoying.
Beeing used to driving around here, driving in Chicago and Detroit is heaven.
I do 80 here and i pass everyone, in Chicago or Detroit I'm going with the flow.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:08 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Seemed very slow around Cincinnati, but every Ohio plate I see in MN is pretty fast, they must be from Cleveland.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,531,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I can't help but really notice what goes on on the roads...I have since not too long after starting driving when I was 18,and have also noticed certain patterns as well. For example,in the states I've driven in -

New Jersey has a certain psychoticism to it...for the most part people seem ok,but once they get behind the wheel it's a real competition! I've seen people try and one up each other,even at the risk of high speed danger!

Pennsylvania seems to be anything goes,people drive as fast as they want and there seems to ever be much of an 'enforcement' presence.

I was recently in upstate New York again and it seems more even paced than NJ...also noticed lots more police so maybe they mean more business there...

Your observations?...
In New Jersey, yield signs mean a quick glance while barely slowing down, and if someone's coming you either step on it (usually) or slam on the brakes quickly (not so usually). Stop signs are all roll signs Traffic circles are fairly common and jug handles make absolutely no sense. In NJ, you often can't make left turns. Don't ask me why. You gotta veer right on a separate stretch of road usually a roundabout or half circle type of movement, then briefly straight, then left: a jug handle. Looking at the road from an aerial view, it literally looks like a handle coming off a flat surface like a pitcher or jug, hence its name.

Speed limit signs are ignored. You go at least 10 above the speed limit and if you don't, you will get impatient people behind you who will honk and/or flip you off if they pass you. On the Parkway or Turnpike, if everybody suddenly slows down, you know there's a state trooper up ahead somewhere and that is the only time people tend to go the speed limit. We call New Yorkers bad drivers and they call us bad drivers, and we tend to also dislike PA drivers. People from other states simply can't drive. This is slightly exaggerated as not everybody drives in the ways I described, but it is overwhelmingly so. We are aggressive at the wheel. My friends from other states never want to drive in NJ or NY because of how 'crazy' we are. They often freak out and say they would never be that bold when I quickly make a left in front of oncoming traffic because no one ever lets you go!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,326,666 times
Twin Cities: Highly efficient and fast drivers meet incredibly slow with no place to go drivers, and both are insane. The speed differential has to be one of the highest in the country, simply because some slow drivers will go 10+ MPH below the speed limit for no apparent reason. People tail eachother but USUALLY with a purpose (to pass), and people use (or used) turn signals and let others merge more than they do in Cleveland. Left-lane driving is still a problem though.

Cleveland: Very moronic drivers here IMO. The same person who is going 20 MPH over the speed limit through residential streets will slow down as you approach his rear, as if it's personally offensive that you want to pass them and they passive-aggressively slow down to irritate you. Absolutely NO turn signals, and one of these days somebody is going to get into an accident and I will be all over their a$$ for not using their signals! Generally, people drive like schitzophroenics -- really fast and aimless or slow with nowhere to go and all of the time in the world. Very passive-aggressive, generally slow, and nobody ever seems to be in a hurry to get anywhere (and this applies to walking as well).

Columbus: Same as Cleveland, but fewer speed deamons on the Interstate and what I call "false aggression" or "false urgency", where somebody will speed up to cut you off but then pull back on the speed for no reason.....because they weren't in a hurry in the 1st place -- they just think driving is a competition.

Chicago: Fast, fast, fast! Everybody is fast, and most people fly out of the gates from a stop no matter what the speed limit is. One of the few places where somebody might literally kill you if you anger them enough while driving (I know I've been threatened before)! Absolutely no regard for human life on the sidewalks or crosswalks, which also means I see less "strolling" by certain peoples who take their sweet time to cross a busy intersection. Signals seem less relavent in Chicago because there is almost no such thing as "going the flow of traffic", because speeds are all lightening fast. Good drivers, but very aggressive and impatient. Instead of pulling behind a slow driver in the left lane and either waiting for them to move over or tailgate them to do it, they just pass on the right, and now I do after living there for a few months (it's more efficient than waiting for somebody who doesn't know how to drive to finally learn how).

Indiana: Absolutely my least favorite drivers in this country! Nobody is in a hurry. Everybody thinks driving is something you do to amuse yourself or annoy other people. Nobody can think for themselves. If I've got the cruise control at 75 on the Interstate and I come up on an Indiana license plate, I'll pass them and then 5 minutes later that same driver will pass me, so I let them. Then they slow down enough so that -- staying on cruise at 75 MPH -- I have to pass them again or hit the brake to get off of cruise control. And the pattern continues indefinitely.....UNTIL, somebody from another state (usually Illinois) comes along at an even faster speed and consequently becomes the new leader to pi$$ off for the Indiana driver. I don't get it, and I never will Indiana, but it drives me absolutely nuts!!!

Michigan: they might actually run into your car if you don't get out of the way, and they are faster than Illinois/Chicago drivers! Extremely insane drivers.....basically what I expect in a place like Boston, only in the Upper Midwest.

Wisconsin: like Minnesota drivers, they are generally slow and fairly passive (passive-aggressive). They might literally flip you off for passing them on the left or tailing them if they're hogging the left lane (and they are incredibly bad at that, even though half of the drivers on I-90/94 through the state are from MN or IL and they should be used to Interstate driving). I can't speak much for Milwaukee since I'm almost never around there but the rest of the state's drivers seem fairly clueless. At least they aren't too aggressive, which makes dealing with it a lot easier and less stressful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.