U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 AM

3,082 posts, read 3,169,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Twin Cities: Highly efficient and fast drivers meet incredibly slow with no place to go drivers, and both are insane. The speed differential has to be one of the highest in the country, simply because some slow drivers will go 10+ MPH below the speed limit for no apparent reason. People tail eachother but USUALLY with a purpose (to pass), and people use (or used) turn signals and let others merge more than they do in Cleveland. Left-lane driving is still a problem though.

Cleveland: Very moronic drivers here IMO. The same person who is going 20 MPH over the speed limit through residential streets will slow down as you approach his rear, as if it's personally offensive that you want to pass them and they passive-aggressively slow down to irritate you. Absolutely NO turn signals, and one of these days somebody is going to get into an accident and I will be all over their a$$ for not using their signals! Generally, people drive like schitzophroenics -- really fast and aimless or slow with nowhere to go and all of the time in the world. Very passive-aggressive, generally slow, and nobody ever seems to be in a hurry to get anywhere (and this applies to walking as well).

Columbus: Same as Cleveland, but fewer speed deamons on the Interstate and what I call "false aggression" or "false urgency", where somebody will speed up to cut you off but then pull back on the speed for no reason.....because they weren't in a hurry in the 1st place -- they just think driving is a competition.

Chicago: Fast, fast, fast! Everybody is fast, and most people fly out of the gates from a stop no matter what the speed limit is. One of the few places where somebody might literally kill you if you anger them enough while driving (I know I've been threatened before)! Absolutely no regard for human life on the sidewalks or crosswalks, which also means I see less "strolling" by certain peoples who take their sweet time to cross a busy intersection. Signals seem less relavent in Chicago because there is almost no such thing as "going the flow of traffic", because speeds are all lightening fast. Good drivers, but very aggressive and impatient. Instead of pulling behind a slow driver in the left lane and either waiting for them to move over or tailgate them to do it, they just pass on the right, and now I do after living there for a few months (it's more efficient than waiting for somebody who doesn't know how to drive to finally learn how).

Indiana: Absolutely my least favorite drivers in this country! Nobody is in a hurry. Everybody thinks driving is something you do to amuse yourself or annoy other people. Nobody can think for themselves. If I've got the cruise control at 75 on the Interstate and I come up on an Indiana license plate, I'll pass them and then 5 minutes later that same driver will pass me, so I let them. Then they slow down enough so that -- staying on cruise at 75 MPH -- I have to pass them again or hit the brake to get off of cruise control. And the pattern continues indefinitely.....UNTIL, somebody from another state (usually Illinois) comes along at an even faster speed and consequently becomes the new leader to pi$$ off for the Indiana driver. I don't get it, and I never will Indiana, but it drives me absolutely nuts!!!

Michigan: they might actually run into your car if you don't get out of the way, and they are faster than Illinois/Chicago drivers! Extremely insane drivers.....basically what I expect in a place like Boston, only in the Upper Midwest.

Wisconsin: like Minnesota drivers, they are generally slow and fairly passive (passive-aggressive). They might literally flip you off for passing them on the left or tailing them if they're hogging the left lane (and they are incredibly bad at that, even though half of the drivers on I-90/94 through the state are from MN or IL and they should be used to Interstate driving). I can't speak much for Milwaukee since I'm almost never around there but the rest of the state's drivers seem fairly clueless. At least they aren't too aggressive, which makes dealing with it a lot easier and less stressful!
All of the above sounds like the Philly/south Jersey area also,except for the Indiana and Wisconsin...sounds like I need to check them out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 03:52 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,403,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
When was the last time you were in ohio?
I live here. At least in the Columbus area I find the drivers to be much slower and polite when compared to places on the east coast.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 AM

8,005 posts, read 16,068,304 times
I live in Massachusetts. I'll be the first to admit that we don't have the best drivers. It seems that everyone here takes out their pent up aggression on the road. We drive too fast, and do things to other drivers seemingly just out of spite. I'm glad this is where I learned to drive because I think driving here would have been a MAJOR adjustment coming from anywhere outside of the BOS-WASH megalopolis. Except for Miami. S. Florida is not a fun place to drive either.

Still, my least favorite state to drive in is Maine. Like another poster remarked about Vermont, Mainers seem to drive 5-10mph below the speed limit at almost all times. Beyond that, they are generally oblivious to other vehicles. Common example: In much of the country, a slow vehicle on a two lane toad will have its hazards on and occasionally pull over to let the building queue of traffic pass. This happens even in Massachusetts. Not so in Maine. There are no hazards and there is on pulling over to let the traffic queue pass. Slow drivers are many and do not let people pass. They also don't use the shoulder when turning which is frustrating as it often means slowing from 55 to 20 and then having to speed up again if your behind them when they're turning. Left Lane sitting is the norm despite signs every mile saying, "slower traffic keep right."

The worst part about Maine is that there are really no highways. I-95 and I-295 run close together and there are a few small spurs. Most of the roads are two lane country roads with speed limits upto 55. Many businesses are located along roads like this. Oblivious Mainers will pull out in front of a car traveling 55mph without even looking. Prepare to jam your breaks. I swear that driving school in Maine consists of instructors getting rid of the rear-view mirror and telling students "just look forward no matter what."

My favorite drivers are New Yorkers (New York City area). Many people gripe that New Yorkers are too fast and aggressive. New Yorkers definitely drive fast and aggressive, but there's far more of a method to the madness than in places like Massachusetts. New Yorkers know they have congested roadways and take steps to maximize efficiency. Alternate merges are the norm (in MA, allowing someone to merge in front of you is a sign of weakness). I wouldn't say that I "love" driving in the NYC area because it's so congested, but I do love the way people drive there.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Still, my least favorite state to drive in is Maine. Like another poster remarked about Vermont, Mainers seem to drive 5-10mph below the speed limit at almost all times. Beyond that, they are generally oblivious to other vehicles. Common example: In much of the country, a slow vehicle on a two lane toad will have its hazards on and occasionally pull over to let the building queue of traffic pass. This happens even in Massachusetts. Not so in Maine. There are no hazards and there is on pulling over to let the traffic queue pass. Slow drivers are many and do not let people pass. They also don't use the shoulder when turning which is frustrating as it often means slowing from 55 to 20 and then having to speed up again if your behind them when they're turning. Left Lane sitting is the norm despite signs every mile saying, "slower traffic keep right."

The worst part about Maine is that there are really no highways. I-95 and I-295 run close together and there are a few small spurs. Most of the roads are two lane country roads with speed limits upto 55. Many businesses are located along roads like this. Oblivious Mainers will pull out in front of a car traveling 55mph without even looking. Prepare to jam your breaks. I swear that driving school in Maine consists of instructors getting rid of the rear-view mirror and telling students "just look forward no matter what."
I've been hearing from people I know up there that a lot of people up there are pot heads...that could be part of it

Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,753 times
I have been all over the country and the only place I have genuinely feared for my life on the road is metro Atlanta. I have actually seen cars go completely airborne Dukes of Hazzard style coming onto the freeway as well as a car or two up on two wheels making a turn too fast. There have been at least 3 or 4 times where someone has purposely tried to run me off the road and had I not taken evasive action, would have end up in the woods. GA drivers in general are pretty bad, but the ones in metro Atlanta bring it to a whole new level. The suburban drivers are worse than the city drivers too, Dekalb and especially Gwinnett county being the worst. There have been a few occasions where I have been in another city or state and a car almost hits us and I look to see that it has a Gwinnett county plate on it.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
GA drivers in general are pretty bad, but the ones in metro Atlanta bring it to a whole new level. The suburban drivers are worse than the city drivers too, Dekalb and especially Gwinnett county being the worst. There have been a few occasions where I have been in another city or state and a car almost hits us and I look to see that it has a Gwinnett county plate on it.
Same with me and Fulton County plates

Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,024,591 times
Worse drivers: Massachusetts (especially around Boston) and the Saint Louis Metro Area.
Best drivers: Pittsburgh

And as a native New Yorker, I had no problem adjusting to the "assertive" driving of LA/OC. Its the damn tourists that much things up.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 5,864,592 times
For the most part, some people in Portland Oregon are so nice and accomodating you want to get out of your car and Bit**Slap them.
If you have ever seen that "Go-No You Go" skit on Portlandia, it's true! Four way stops can be fun!

Either that or they are entirely clueless about what's going on around them.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
For the most part, some people in Portland Oregon are so nice and accomodating you want to get out of your car and Bit**Slap them.
If you have ever seen that "Go-No You Go" skit on Portlandia, it's true! Four way stops can be fun!

I'd take them over the east coast kamikazes any day

Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM

526 posts, read 996,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

This is so true! Count me in for b* slapping. It's not only the "nice" part, but also slamming on the breaks in presence of any change on the road in front of them, however small.

It makes me appreciate Bay Area drivers. For some reason people here seem to understand the principle of breaking just enough not to hit the car in front and general flow of traffic. In fact, I contend, that the reason why even lightest rain usually wreaks havoc on the roads in Bay Area is not because people don't know how to drive in the rain, but because people DO know how to take advantage of all available road space. In the rain slowing down and keeping longer distances just saturates the freeways end causes major jams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.