Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 5,124 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, sorry if this was in the wrong spot...

Next year a good friend and i will be heading over to Brazil in June for the world cup. However, we want to spend around 3 weeks (give or take) in the US before it in May and sort of do a road trip. So what we were thinking was to fly into LA, spend a couple of days there, hire a car and then set off on the road. Miami as the final destination where we will want to spend around 3 or 4 nights there. So around 23 days or so, where should we stop by for a few days on the way to Miami? Here is a background of us and our interests

- We will both be 23
- We like to go out, have drinks, meet new people
- We are into our sport. NBA/MLB any major sport really.
- I also just love bars, having a chat to new people etc.

And not too sure what else to add really, other then we are like your typical aussie 23 year olds who like to have a good time! Obviously LA, Houston, New Orleans, Miami are the musts i think? Ideally i want my trip to be centered around for when i am in Miami, New Orleans and Vegas, i want to be in those cities on a weekend.. so Friday and Saturday atleast.. Miami is my final port as i will be flying down to Sao Paolo from here so i will most likely spend the most time here. It's going to be really confusing for me to put all this together, but i'll get there in the end. I was thinking of something like LA [monday, tuesday wednesday], Vegas [thursday, friday, saturday, sunday], Santa Fe [monday], Fort Worth(?) [tuesday], Houston [wednesday], New Orleans [thursday, friday, saturday], Tallahssee [sunday], Miami [a week] obviously the places that have only one day are sort of stop overs.. like stay there the night, recharge batteries, then hit the road the next day. I obviously have no interest in going to Tallahssee but just by the initial look on the map it looks like a good place to stop by on the way from New Orleans to Miami. Anyway....

It's 1:39am in the morning and i can't sleep so i think you can figure out why i am thinking about this so much right now!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
I sent you a PM with some info. Have you decided what route to take?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
your route/time table seems fine for what you're looking for. sante fe seems kind of out of place on your route, however. it's not along the 40 so you'd be going out of your way to go there, any reason for that?

from vegas you could also take the southern route along the 10 to houston. just cut down to phoenix, spend the night in el paso, then on through san antonio and houston. would prolly take less time than the sante fe/dfw route.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I sent you a PM with some info. Have you decided what route to take?
at the moment, it's starting in la, then vegas, and the main cities i want to see before we finish up in miami are san antonio, houston, and new orleans. i just wasn't sure of what other towns/cities to stop in between and what route will be best to cater for my interests and what i want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
your route/time table seems fine for what you're looking for. sante fe seems kind of out of place on your route, however. it's not along the 40 so you'd be going out of your way to go there, any reason for that?

from vegas you could also take the southern route along the 10 to houston. just cut down to phoenix, spend the night in el paso, then on through san antonio and houston. would prolly take less time than the sante fe/dfw route.
that sounds like an interesting trip. i hadn't though of going to phoenix, then through to san antonio and houston.

any more suggestions would be welcome guys, thanks.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:52 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Hit Charleston, S.C. the last part of May, first part of June while the Spoleto Festivile is there. Will knock your socks off.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melih View Post
I obviously have no interest in going to Tallahssee
I have nothing more to teach you, young padawan .

Sounds like you've done your homework and have a pretty awesome trip through our humble hemisphere planned. In my personal perspective the Northern US is more interesting than the South, with numerous world class cities with rich cultures and history in close proximity- if you ever get back here, the Washington DC-Boston corridor along the Atlantic coast is a must see. But since you'll basically be staying near the bottom of the country, you've got a great sense of where to stop. Be prepared for longggg drives through a lot of empty space on the way- but I suppose that won't be shocking for an Australian. And though those desert drives seem to go on forever, they can be beautiful.

Fort Worth (which is really the smaller sister-city to Dallas) isn't particularly attractive to me- if you're looking for a second Texas city besides Houston to check out, Austin is very colorful and unique, while not as big as Dallas.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I have nothing more to teach you, young padawan .

Sounds like you've done your homework and have a pretty awesome trip through our humble hemisphere planned. In my personal perspective the Northern US is more interesting than the South, with numerous world class cities with rich cultures and history in close proximity- if you ever get back here, the Washington DC-Boston corridor along the Atlantic coast is a must see. But since you'll basically be staying near the bottom of the country, you've got a great sense of where to stop. Be prepared for longggg drives through a lot of empty space on the way- but I suppose that won't be shocking for an Australian. And though those desert drives seem to go on forever, they can be beautiful.

Fort Worth (which is really the smaller sister-city to Dallas) isn't particularly attractive to me- if you're looking for a second Texas city besides Houston to check out, Austin is very colorful and unique, while not as big as Dallas.
yeah the only reason i am only doing the south is because i am going to brazil after and i only have 3-4 weeks before it so i possibly couldn't fit the north aswell! but the north is definitely going to be my next trip. i plan to do that and canada next

in regards to my trip.. what cities/towns should i stop by in on the way to san antonio from california? hit phoenix, then el paso like foadi mentioned? would that be a better way then the santa fe/fort worth way?

also NOL to miami, any place to stop in between there, tallahassee does indeed seem like the biggest city to stay for the night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.