U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiagirl88 View Post
I am 25 yr old single white female and I'm currently in school for my legal assistant degree. I am looking to move down south after I graduate. I have a cousin who lives in AZ, but all she does is complain and well, I'm looking for good and bad about both. I've always lived in the country and want to continue doing that. I grew up riding 4 Wheeler, dirt bikes, you name is basically. I want to move where I get a nice paying job to support myself, but also a place that I can call home. I have no kids, nor plan on having any; so that is not a issue. So if anyone has any information or even lives down south and wants to share, I'd really appreciative it. Thanks!
I would head toward where the legal jobs are, which are largely the big population centers. Atlanta would be my suggestion and areas to the east of the city around Stone Mountain match your criteria for "country" yet provide fairly easy commutes into downtown and even has a commuter rail option from that area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 AM

1,446 posts, read 2,288,971 times
I think you should look at a mid-size Southern city (metro area of over 250,000 but under a million). That way you will be more likely to find a job but it will also be easier for you to live in the country and partake in that lifestyle. All of these places will be full of people who like 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, fishing, hunting, etc.

Towns in or near the mountains:
Chattanooga, TN
Fayetteville, AR
Huntsville, AL
Asheville, NC (has a more hippy vibe)

Piedmont:
Greenville, Sc
Augusta, GA
North Carolina Triad
Columbia, SC

On the Atlantic Ocean:
Wilmington, NC
Charleston, SC
Myrtle Beach, SC
Savannah, GA

Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
They're all the same Just go down there and enjoy the adventure of getting your feet wet for a year or so, and then see where you want to go or what you want to do.

Your first impression of a town will have less to do with the town, and more to do with your first neighbors and co-workers, where you can find the same mix of good and bad everywhere.

You'll like the south a lot more if you learn to get up at first light in the morning and enjoy relaxing through that part of the day. Eat breakfast outdoors.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think you should look at a mid-size Southern city (metro area of over 250,000 but under a million). That way you will be more likely to find a job but it will also be easier for you to live in the country and partake in that lifestyle. All of these places will be full of people who like 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, fishing, hunting, etc.

Towns in or near the mountains:
Chattanooga, TN
Fayetteville, AR
Huntsville, AL

Piedmont:
Greenville, Sc
Augusta, GA
North Carolina Triad
Columbia, SC

On the Atlantic Ocean:
Wilmington, NC
Charleston, SC
Myrtle Beach, SC
Savannah, GA
I would add the Tri Cities region of VA/TN and Roanoke, VA to the list of mountain towns.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM

56,605 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Independence LA and commute into New Orleans.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiagirl88 View Post
I am 25 yr old single white female and I'm currently in school for my legal assistant degree. I am looking to move down south after I graduate. I have a cousin who lives in AZ, but all she does is complain and well, I'm looking for good and bad about both. I've always lived in the country and want to continue doing that. I grew up riding 4 Wheeler, dirt bikes, you name is basically. I want to move where I get a nice paying job to support myself, but also a place that I can call home. I have no kids, nor plan on having any; so that is not a issue. So if anyone has any information or even lives down south and wants to share, I'd really appreciative it. Thanks!
I'm going to make the case for my home state of Virginia.

Virginia is the ancestral and cultural homeland of most things people associate with the culture of the South. So if SOUTH is what you want...You'll find it in VA (assuming you stay out of Yankeeland {NOVA}). Listed below are a few examples of various southern musings associated with Virginia:

-Sweet Tea's first written receipe was documented in the book, "Housekeeping in Old Virginia."

-The first family of country music "The Carter Family" are from Southwest Virginia.

-"Southern Hospitality" was first documented by Jacob Abbot with this quote, "[T]he hospitality of southerners is so profuse, that taverns are but poorly supported. A traveler, with the garb and the manners of a gentleman, finds a welcome at every door. A stranger is riding on horseback through Virginia or Carolina. It is noon. He sees a plantation, surrounded with trees, a little distance from the road. Without hesitation he rides to the door. The gentleman of the house sees his approach and is ready upon the steps. Conversation flows cheeringly, for the southern gentleman has a particular tact in making a guest happy. After dinner you are urged to pass the afternoon and night, and if you are a gentleman in manners and information, your host will be in reality highly gratified by your so doing.
Such is the character of southern hospitality."

-The "Oldest Rivalry in the South" college football game is between the University of Virginia and the University of North Carolina."

-The Confederate White House and the most significant southern Capital is in Richmond, VA.

-The Mint Julep's first major reference by John Davis published in London in 1803, ""a dram of spirituous liquor that has mint steeped in it, taken by Virginians of a morning."

-Moonshine culture as exemplified by the Wettest County in the World featuring Franklin County's own Bondurant boys.

-Music...Virginia's "Crooked Road" music trail is a major historical trail of bluegrass and string band music.

-The Piedmont region of Virginia has one of the most significant linguistic impacts on what is commonly acknowledged as a Southern Accent.

Ok...thats enough for qualifiers...now lets look at areas.

If you want mountains...Roanoke, Bristol, Abingdon, Staunton, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, and Lynchburg are all wonderful areas with great people, great ammentities, and great natural resources.

If you want the water...Look at Chesapeake and the other cities of the Hampton Roads area.

If you want the city....Richmond is the best in the state in my opinion for a larger metro.

Anywhere you go in the commonwealth you're in good shape.....just stay away from those six or seven counties up near DC that left the state a few decades back.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,520,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I believe that's what tourist think. It's a city mixed with different types of people, just like any other city in America. I find that people are more laid back down here than ..say Chicago. It's more of an "accepting" city of people. Although I'm not a fan of Asheville, if you want a city in the mountains, Asheville would be a good place for you. I prefer small populated areas / small towns over cities.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 AM

44,749 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Don't leave out northeast Texas! The Texas job market is very strong - much stronger than the national or even southern states average. The culture is southern - with some cowboy thrown in for good measure. The people are terrific. Lots of small towns located close to small cities of around 100,000 people. Good access to Dallas, Shreveport, Fort Worth, etc. The terrain is green, hilly, and has lots of trees. There are many beautiful lakes and rivers in this area as well. In northeast Texas you are about four hours from the Gulf Coast, and about five hours from the gorgeous central Texas Hill Country, three hours from Houston, five hours from the beautiful Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas, and about seven hours from New Orleans. But you would find plenty to do right in your own backyard!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 AM

10,559 posts, read 13,116,292 times
Miami, that's it.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:58 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,664,467 times
Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or