Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,307 times

Advertisements

I am 25 yr old single white female and I'm currently in school for my legal assistant degree. I am looking to move down south after I graduate. I have a cousin who lives in AZ, but all she does is complain and well, I'm looking for good and bad about both. I've always lived in the country and want to continue doing that. I grew up riding 4 Wheeler, dirt bikes, you name is basically. I want to move where I get a nice paying job to support myself, but also a place that I can call home. I have no kids, nor plan on having any; so that is not a issue. So if anyone has any information or even lives down south and wants to share, I'd really appreciative it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Huntsville, Alabama

Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,461 times
I moved from Wisconsin to Western North Carolina (zomg mountains - it's all hilly and stuff here) and never looked back or regretted my decision. Jobs though, well, good luck getting a good paying job anywhere in the states right now.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:56 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line, they all good peoples there.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiagirl88 View Post
I am 25 yr old single white female and I'm currently in school for my legal assistant degree. I am looking to move down south after I graduate. I have a cousin who lives in AZ, but all she does is complain and well, I'm looking for good and bad about both. I've always lived in the country and want to continue doing that. I grew up riding 4 Wheeler, dirt bikes, you name is basically. I want to move where I get a nice paying job to support myself, but also a place that I can call home. I have no kids, nor plan on having any; so that is not a issue. So if anyone has any information or even lives down south and wants to share, I'd really appreciative it. Thanks!
Jobs are scarcer in rural areas. If you do find a job in the rural South it'll probably pay under the national average.

On the other hand you'll also pay less in taxes and have more freedom in the South

Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Huntsville, Alabama
I LOVE Alabama!!!!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line, they all good peoples there.
Well I shouldnt talk, I live in WI.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Depending on the type of work you might be looking for, the fact is you may have to commute if you live in a very small town (like I do). Not that theres anything wrong with tha, lots of people do, but you may not want to. Of course you can live a little closer to the bigger areas, not necessarily 'in' them, so you wouldnt have to commute too far.
Despite what some people say, work s tough to come by anywhere right now, I know of people with college degrees, great attitudes, great work history, but they are still having a tough time finding work. No matter where you choose to live, the midwest, the south, the deep south, southwest, its tough for a lot of people. Even my old boss back in AZ, he has a tough time keeping himself above water now with only one employee out there.
Nonetheless, do the research and maybe if you can, visit a place you might like, a couple of times before making the move.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:43 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I don't really consider AZ "down south". Most southern states are pretty hot most of the year, is that ok with you? You will not easily find a good paying job in a rural area. You might want to consider living outside a city where you can work in the city and drive out of town to where you live. Don't move until you find a job first, the job market is not good most anyplace right now.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Most southern states are pretty hot most of the year, is that ok with you?
Wisconsin usually beats the temperature of North Carolina in Summer. It gets HOT there, I find living in the mountains that it's more tolerable in warm weather, but we do get our days where it's just sweltering hot. I'll still take that over seeing flat land every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.