U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these cities has the highest % of its land area looking run-down?
NYC 7 8.97%
Philly 46 58.97%
Chicago 25 32.05%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM

8,488 posts, read 10,505,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
How can you have q poll for the entire country when you can only choose one of three cities?
I thought that was odd myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,430,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Philly in my opinion is absolutely awful looking.

West Philadelphia looks like a bombed out 3rd world country---a cobination of decaying communist housing blocks and dilapidated housing of an East Africxan country---

North Philadelphia looks awful too. Just run down, old, gritty, abandoned row homes, telephone polls, crumbing infrastructure...the roads and the bridges are potholed and rusted-- overgrown weeds and ugly signage--- ugh.

Ceneter city Philly is nice and there are sopme great philly neighborhoods, but a lot of Philly looks awfully depressing.
West Philadelphia actually has some of the most beautiful neighborhoods and architecture in the city. Although parts are run down it is very inaccurate to label the entire section of the city that way, especially considering how far University City's reach is today.

Many parts of Southwest and North Philadelphia I would agree are very depressed and blighted though. Southwest nearly all but North Philadelphia has some great neighborhoods. For the most part Northwest, Northeast, South Philly, the Riverwards and Center City are healthy and intact sections of the city with wonderful neighborhoods.

I'd say both NYC and Philly are in the 33% range. I don't know enough about Chicago and didn't see too many poor areas when I visited but imagine it's about the same. It's amazing to think how much industry was once located in this corridor.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-23-2013 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 PM

126 posts, read 102,990 times
what other cities yall think have more? besides detroit
wat bout st louis?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,538,518 times
Hate to say it (because I love Philadelphia) but... I'd have to go with Philadelphia of these three.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM

8,343 posts, read 9,835,113 times
Out of places I've personally seen, Philly takes the cake. I was shocked such a cesspool existed in this country.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:03 AM

21,267 posts, read 30,535,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Out of places I've personally seen, Philly takes the cake. I was shocked such a cesspool existed in this country.
It is staggering when you consider other big cities. Philly natives basically have no pride in the city's appearance and seem to relish living in rotting neighborhoods with trash-strewn streets. I lived there for 8 years (in a "gentrified neighborhood") and spent many a day off picking up a 30 gallon trash can's worth of litter off the block I lived on.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 PM

136 posts, read 184,849 times
Default No way!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
I hate to say it, but there are large tracts of North Philly, in particular, that look like Mogadishu. It's pretty rough, and these areas are large, really not at all attractive enough to encourage gentrification.

I have been to 3rd world countries and seen their ghettos and their is nothing in Amercia that even comes close to their poor areas.

I've been threw North Philly Bad Lands West Philly and they don't even come close, you would be lucky to live in a ghetto of Philly compared to a 3rd world country. Newark, Camden, Irvington in Jersey all look worse the North Philly as well. Jersey currently has the worst looking ghettos in the Northeast, but Jersey can't compare to a 3rd world country either.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 PM

136 posts, read 184,849 times
Detroit and Newark should be on this list and they both are alot more run down then Philly. Infact Philly is a beautiful city compared to those two.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:39 AM

847 posts, read 1,307,081 times
Don't fool yourself. You probably haven't to both(or lived) Newark and Philly like I have. Newark's worst parts have nothing on North Philly. Nothing.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:49 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,183,004 times
I have visited NYC and Chicago. I've only driven through Philadelphia. From what I've seen, Philadelphia takes this hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or