Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times

Advertisements

Its the lack of Major cities on the gulf coast besides Houston and New Orleans. The East coast is full of cities and the West Coast has San Francisco, San Diego, LA, Seattle, and ever growing Portland. I think the Gulf just needs a strong economic presence in like Mobile or Biloxi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
San Francisco is 10 hours away from Portland. Pensacola is about 7 hours from Tampa. In 30-40 years I'm sure the population increase will make the area a little more cohesive.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:23 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Its the lack of Major cities on the gulf coast besides Houston and New Orleans. The East coast is full of cities and the West Coast has San Francisco, San Diego, LA, Seattle, and ever growing Portland. I think the Gulf just needs a strong economic presence in like Mobile or Biloxi.
Hopefully with the Airbus assembly line we will be able to make that happen.Mobile will be the third aerospace hub in the world or it could be fourth. I am only aware of Telouse France , Seattle, and now Mobile, so it will happen we will be ready to assemble in 2015 . Ummmm maybe we will be the Seattle of the south in 15 years ( shruggs shoulders).

Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Good topic. Not exactly sure why but even for Florida, the Atlantic is much more developed than the gulf side. Could be related to the gulf having bigger hurricanes. I think also the warmer gulf water makes it more humid in Louisiana-Ms, Bama.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:13 AM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There are metro areas along every 80mi or so from Houston to Pensacola. Some are small but they are established metro areas.

That may seem that way up in Shreveport but hurricanes will not hold the coast back.

Mobile CSA has about 600k if I'm not mistaken, so it feels like a larger metro than 400k. Mobile was named number 2 metro in the country for economic growth potential. Not saying Mobile will explode but it's achievements haven't been ignored. Not sure how fast it is growing. Baton Rouge Named No. 1 Metro for Economic Growth Potential in Business Facilities 9th Annual Rankings Report

New Orleans is receiving much more than lost population, those people that are still gone are likely not leaving Houston or Atlanta to come back. Eight years is long enough. Baton Rouge is growing pretty fast as well, we will probably be near 920k for the next census. New Orleans might be near 1.4m. The CSA is already at 1.4m.

Governor Jindal rejected Federal dollars for a commuter rail between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, needless to say, plenty of people, especially New Orleanians were heated over the decision. One day we will have rail between the two.

One day our coast will be respected by the general public. Not saying we are going to be the next BosWash though.

They kinda have already.

Personally i would rather not see it knowing the threat that is there with major Hurricanes. There will be another Camille, 1900?? ( Galveston ), Rita, Katrina, Charley, etc, etc, etc ,etc. I just don't feel the risk to life, economic impact, etc is worth it.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Hurricanes only hold us back because we are cheap. The Caribbean gets far, far far more hurricanes than the gulf coast, and that didn't stop it from developing into an area of 50 million people a couple decades ago.

Poorer countries like Haiti use shoddy building materiale, but the other countries are more resistant to hurricanes because of stronger materials and building codes.

Why does the US have to be like Haiti? We are not a 3rd works country, why do I have to have crappy codes like one?

I am from the roofs are built to withstand 200 mph winds. Here it's what? 30mph?

Power lines can be buried.

There are a number of things that we don't do now that wet can do to greatly minimize the effects of hurricanes.

NOLA had already implemented some of these things. Don't think that a hurricane will have the same impact on NOLA that Katrina did.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
They kinda have already.

Personally i would rather not see it knowing the threat that is there with major Hurricanes. There will be another Camille, 1900?? ( Galveston ), Rita, Katrina, Charley, etc, etc, etc ,etc. I just don't feel the risk to life, economic impact, etc is worth it.
Ok so how have they held back Houston?
The Galveston storm is irrelevant. Katrina only flooded the city because of cheap levees. The city has a billion dollar levee system now that left it completely dry during hurricane Isaac. I'd rather live here than in tornado alley or in earthquake prone areas. Hurricanes are avoidable and one will strike an area roughly once every 10 ten years.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ok so how have they held back Houston?
The Galveston storm is irrelevant. Katrina only flooded the city because of cheap levees. The city has a billion dollar levee system now that left it completely dry during hurricane Isaac. I'd rather live here than in tornado alley or in earthquake prone areas. Hurricanes are avoidable and one will strike an area roughly once every 10 ten years.
I've lived in the Midwest for over 40 years and I've never had a tornado touch down within 50 miles of me. When they hit, if they even drop, it's a skinny pathway that's concentrated on a miniscule (next to a hurricane) stretch. Hurricanes are more frequent in any given area on the Gulf Coast, and they cut a far wider swath. That said, hurricanes are getting more play regarding the OP than they deserve. I think weather has something to do with it, not sure if anyone's mentioned it - West Coast has year-round moderate weather, East Coast varies but is generally moderated near the coast by the Atlantic, but Gulf Coast is a sweltering sweatbox for a good portion of the year, which suits many just fine but is less preferable to the masses than the weather on the other oceanic coasts in the US.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:51 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
The Gulf has not experienced a major hurricane since Katrina and it took about 6 years to get a minor one again. To be honest the Gulf Coast handled Hurricanes a lot better than the East and I assume that our experience play a role. Also Sandy exposed the failing East Coast infrastructure. And I'm with Annie when it comes hurricanes vs tornados . Tornados are unpredictable and destroy much more. There is no doubt that the Gulf is growing. I will say the civil war and the fact that the East was built from a more industrial economy were as the Gulf was shipping of course but more agricultural. Now my theory as of why the Florida Gulf never established older cities is the same reason why Alabama didn't purchase parts of the panhandle. And that reason was because Alabama felt that they could not use the land for agriculture and yes Mobile was apart of the Florida Parishes at one time until Alabama purchased us. Also let us not forget that the Florida Atlantic is just as hurricane prone as the Florida Gulf.

Last edited by PortCity; 08-08-2013 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
The Gulf has not experienced a major hurricane since Katrina and it too about 6 years to get a minor one again. To be honest the Gulf Coast handled Hurricanes a lot better than the East and I assume that our experience play a role. Also Sandy exposed the failing East Coast infrastructure. And I'm with Andy when it comes hurricanes vs tornados . Tornados are unpredictable and destroy much more.
Well, the reality is that they cause the same amount of damage: http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2...ricanes-Lloyds

The difference being tornadoes can hit anywhere on enormous swaths of the country, whereas hurricanes are quite specific where they generally hit. Meaning if you live on the Gulf Coast, far more damage happens via hurricanes than any specific places in America via tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.