U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:03 PM

6,513 posts, read 9,049,534 times

Advertisements

It seems that the most expensive, built up, and most densely populated areas of the country lie on our coasts. The east coast especially, from Washington D.C. to Boston lie tens of millions of people, the west coast from San Francisco to San Diego is also becoming our next Megalopolis.

Even the Gulf Coast is a rather densely populated area and serves as a critical area of our industry and shipping. However, the Gulf Coast is completely overshadowed by the east and west coasts.

My question is, does anyone see the Gulf Coast area rising in prominence and population, taking in a larger share of this country's industry and imports?

Part of it may be to blame that it's the "Gulf" coast. It doesn't border any oceans which is where most of our international trade occurrs, but are there other contributing factors? What else is holding the gulf coast back from being as large of trade centers as the east and west coast are?

I know the east has New York City and the west has Los Angeles, but you have Houston on the Gulf Coast which is the 5th largest metro area in the country. So what do you think? Can the Gulf Coast move up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 PM

6,513 posts, read 9,049,534 times
No replies ehh? I guess I created a real boring thread!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:49 PM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I know the east has New York City and the west has Los Angeles, but you have Houston on the Gulf Coast which is the 5th largest metro area in the country. So what do you think? Can the Gulf Coast move up?
One big reason that the Gulf coast is not close to comparable to the East coast is because the population density and urban/economic development of the Gulf coast are much less.

You would need a population of roughly 50 million just from the Houston area to the New Orleans area, for example, to become comparable to what we have on the east coast.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 PM

1,427 posts, read 2,569,254 times
As of 2010 the list of top twenty ports by (total mass) cargo tonnage contained exactly two US ports: South Louisiana and Houston. It's not as though there's nothing happening on the gulf coast. It's just that with the exceptions of Mobile and New Orleans (and Pensacola a bit), the region was settled much later than the northeast, and didn't have passenger ships regularly dropping off hundreds of thousands of free immigrants who settled in the cities of the northeastern corridor.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,554,968 times
I don't think we want it to be, Its fine just the way it is. Then again there's only a matter of time, before they get here...

Old 08-07-2013, 02:44 PM

3,788 posts, read 6,519,042 times
I don`t think the Gulf will ever reach the status of the east and west.The Gulf does not have as many metro cities just Houston, Nola,Mobile,Pensacola,and Tampa with Mobile and Nola being the oldest.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
like you said... there is Houston...

where are these other cities that are supposed to grow. It's not going to happen in N.O., Gulfport, Lake Charles, Lafayette, Beaumont or Mobile... and Houston to Mobile is already farther than the distance from DC to Boston... I think Texas will grow to as big of a state population wise as CA with main cities of Dallas, Houston, SA and Austin, but there won't be a gulf coast corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I don`t think the Gulf will ever reach the status of the east and west.The Gulf does not have as many metro cities just Houston, Nola,Mobile,Pensacola,and Tampa with Mobile and Nola being the oldest.
I don't see Tampa as part of it... you might as well include Atlanta with the Bos-Wash corridor if that's the case, it's just as far away.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,160,729 times
I don't think the coasts are ever on par with each other.

They are all good for certain things.

The east is older more, compact
The west is mid, had milder temp
the gulf is the youngest, but booming.

Don't think any if them will be comparable

Old 08-07-2013, 04:49 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I don't see Tampa as part of it... you might as well include Atlanta with the Bos-Wash corridor if that's the case, it's just as far away.
Both Boston and Savannah are on the East coast. Tampa and Houston make sense as part of the Gulf coast.

I don't see why the Gulf coast can't become like the East or West coast. I don't think it will achieve that level of density, but it's possible.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM

320 posts, read 473,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It seems that the most expensive, built up, and most densely populated areas of the country lie on our coasts. The east coast especially, from Washington D.C. to Boston lie tens of millions of people, the west coast from San Francisco to San Diego is also becoming our next Megalopolis.

Even the Gulf Coast is a rather densely populated area and serves as a critical area of our industry and shipping. However, the Gulf Coast is completely overshadowed by the east and west coasts.

My question is, does anyone see the Gulf Coast area rising in prominence and population, taking in a larger share of this country's industry and imports?

Part of it may be to blame that it's the "Gulf" coast. It doesn't border any oceans which is where most of our international trade occurrs, but are there other contributing factors? What else is holding the gulf coast back from being as large of trade centers as the east and west coast are?

No. Texas, Louisiana , and Florida have cities that could continue to grow. Gonna take some time for Mississippi and Alabama to catch up and give the region that extra nudge needed to equal or pass the East and West coasts. Transplants aren't moving to Mississippi or Alabama in droves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or