U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 AM

8 posts, read 7,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
When you say Pennsylvania University, is that Penn State University or the University of Pennsylvania? They are different schools. My understanding is that the University of Pennsylvania has an excellent history department and of course Philly, as well as some of the surrounding areas have historic locations. There are a lot of towns around Philly which are quaint, quintessentially American - check out: Explore Classic Towns | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

It does get pretty cold in the winter but the spring is warm and summers are hot and frankly, I think you should make your choice based on the school/their history department rather than the weather or the girl to guy ratio.

Take a look at this list of the unis with the best history programs: Best History Programs | Top History Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools - Uni of Penn ranks pretty high. Looks like the only one on your list to rank higher is the Uni of California.
It's Penn State My university, for some odd reason, refers to it as University of Pennsylvania. Sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM

814 posts, read 1,071,896 times
I'm originally from Kansas, and Kansas University and the surrounding town (Lawrence) is nice. I would never describe it as the Wild West, though it does have a very interesting Civil War history. It is more of a liberal and youth safe haven for Kansans not wanting to leave their state. But the population is very, very diverse and the main street called Mass is usually very active for parties, clubs and theaters.

Also, unlike Indiana, Pennsylvania, and a couple others you've mentioned, Kansas is a wild West state. If you want this type of landscape you're best to stay within The Great Plains (Texas, OK, KS, Nebraska and the Dakotas) or just a little to the West. Jesse James, Buffalo Bill, Hickok all came through here at some point, and traces of their reign remain. Kansas is home to Dodge City, one of the most famous town of the old West. But it is mostly just a tourist attraction now, though a few of the old storefronts remain. The state is also very much like you'd expect, rolling prairies, rocky cliffs, red barns, hot summers, and violent tornadoes is the Spring. It has a very underrated beauty, and is certainly one of, if not the quintessential Americana states. After all, we talking about the home of Superman and Dorothy !!

I don't know if you've mentioned this, but will you be driving? This will make Kansas a whole lot more fun because you can take road trips around the Great Plains to see all of the sights since they are so spread out. The mass-transit isn't so good, so a car is necessary for places like The Badlands, Black Hills, Native American reservations, Gyp Hills, the Breaks and so on.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 AM

413 posts, read 720,200 times
I have attended Indiana University and would recommend that as a good fit. It is a big 10 school which is as All American as you can get. It has a great campus, good social life, and more girls than guys. It is very much the all American college experience. It is perhaps not representative of America in that it is far more progressive but that is true of almost any decent college.

Your list aside, I really can not think of a better All American college experience. I attended as a grad student so I don't really have that much or any allegiance and are not biased like you might be thinking.

Been to Purdue and wouldn't suggest it. Its a good school but very math and science focused and way more guys than girls. I mostly think of it as a somewhat nerdy engineering school.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I'm originally from Kansas, and Kansas University and the surrounding town (Lawrence) is nice. I would never describe it as the Wild West, though it does have a very interesting Civil War history. It is more of a liberal and youth safe haven for Kansans not wanting to leave their state. But the population is very, very diverse and the main street called Mass is usually very active for parties, clubs and theaters.

Also, unlike Indiana, Pennsylvania, and a couple others you've mentioned, Kansas is a wild West state. If you want this type of landscape you're best to stay within The Great Plains (Texas, OK, KS, Nebraska and the Dakotas) or just a little to the West. Jesse James, Buffalo Bill, Hickok all came through here at some point, and traces of their reign remain. Kansas is home to Dodge City, one of the most famous town of the old West. But it is mostly just a tourist attraction now, though a few of the old storefronts remain. The state is also very much like you'd expect, rolling prairies, rocky cliffs, red barns, hot summers, and violent tornadoes is the Spring. It has a very underrated beauty, and is certainly one of, if not the quintessential Americana states. After all, we talking about the home of Superman and Dorothy !!

I don't know if you've mentioned this, but will you be driving? This will make Kansas a whole lot more fun because you can take road trips around the Great Plains to see all of the sights since they are so spread out. The mass-transit isn't so good, so a car is necessary for places like The Badlands, Black Hills, Native American reservations, Gyp Hills, the Breaks and so on.
Kansas has been in the lead for a while now... This may have convinced me What are the transport links like to Kansas City? Is it easy to get to from Lawrence? I am a fan of baseball so going to see the Royals play a couple of times would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
I have attended Indiana University and would recommend that as a good fit. It is a big 10 school which is as All American as you can get. It has a great campus, good social life, and more girls than guys. It is very much the all American college experience. It is perhaps not representative of America in that it is far more progressive but that is true of almost any decent college.

Your list aside, I really can not think of a better All American college experience. I attended as a grad student so I don't really have that much or any allegiance and are not biased like you might be thinking.

Been to Purdue and wouldn't suggest it. Its a good school but very math and science focused and way more guys than girls. I mostly think of it as a somewhat nerdy engineering school.
Ok thanks for the info.

I have whittled it down to: 1) Kansas and 2) Indiana after going on Google StreetView and taking up your opinions. Both of these look a perfect fit, however, Kansas seems more of what I am looking for

Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,024,591 times
Virginia or Maryland. Maybe Ohio.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeross478 View Post
Kansas has been in the lead for a while now... This may have convinced me What are the transport links like to Kansas City? Is it easy to get to from Lawrence? I am a fan of baseball so going to see the Royals play a couple of times would be great!
You can get to KC from Lawrence. I think you might look into a bus system called the K-10 connector to see what the routes and prices are. There might be other bus systems as well that I don't know about. I'll have to ask some of my friends at KU.

Quote:
I have whittled it down to: 1) Kansas and 2) Indiana after going on Google StreetView and taking up your opinions. Both of these look a perfect fit, however, Kansas seems more of what I am looking for
This is actually a strange dilemma, because I lived in Kansas for 20 years, but I currently live in Indianapolis. It's going to be a real trade off. I like both states. The pros of Indiana is that it is much closer to more populated area; the transit to get around to different cities is going to be easier with the travel times being shorter. However, the populated areas it is close to are generally more Eastern. Though some of the more immediate locations, like Chicago, feel distinctly Midwestern. But Indiana is Midwest leaning East; Kansas is Midwest leaning to the West, literally in different time zones. Kansas is far less populated, and the landscape is more prairie, and big sky. It is the beginnings of the West as KC was the original starting point of the Oregon Trail. People in Kansas usually go to Omaha, Denver, and Dallas. People in Indiana usually go to Chicago, Louisville, and Ohio. Indiana generally goes to the Appalachian; Kansas goes to the Rockies. Indiana is more forested, and has beautiful shores of Lake Michigan at the tip, and Bloomington is surrounded by beautiful tree-covered rolling hills. But Indiana does not feel West at all to me.

Both KU and IU are roughly an hour from their largest cities KC and Indy. KC has jazz, the best bbq you've ever had in your life, MLB, and fantastic art museums. Indy has a great sports culture, especially if you are into racing, NBA, and some really beautiful monuments. Indy is more compact, and easier to get around. KC is more spread out, but has some amazing enclaves like Westport & The Plaza.

It's a tough decision. Good luck!

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 05-20-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You can get to KC from Lawrence. I think you might look into a bus system called the K-10 connector to see what the routes and prices are. There might be other bus systems as well that I don't know about. I'll have to ask some of my friends at KU.

This is actually a strange dilemma, because I live in Kansas for 20 years, but I currently live in Indianapolis. It's going to be a real trade off. I like both states. The pros of Indiana is that it is much closer to more populated area; the transit to get around to different cities is going to be easier with the travel times being shorter. However, the populated areas it is close to are generally more Eastern. Indiana is East; Kansas is the West, literally in different time zones. Kansas is far less populated, and the landscape is more prairie, and big sky. It is the beginnings of the West as KC was the original starting point of the Oregon Trail. People in Kansas usually go to Omaha, Denver, and Dallas. People in Indiana usually go to Chicago, Louisville, and Ohio. Indiana is more forested, and has beautiful shores of Lake Michigan at the tip, and Bloomington is surrounded by beautiful tree-covered rolling hills. But Indiana does not feel West, at all.

Both KU and IU are roughly an hour from their largest cities KC and Indy. KC has jazz, the best bbq you've ever had in your life, MLB, and fantastic art museums. Indy has a great sports culture, especially if you are into racing, NBA, and some really beautiful monuments.

It's a tough decision. Good luck!
Indeed it is. I like jazz and blues music, love BBQ and like baseball. I am not into racing or NBA. Kansas seems to be the right fit. The landscape looks the right type of feel I am looking for from what i've seen on streetview.

Thanks - I think I have decided after reading a lot of different articles etc.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Indeed it is. I like jazz and blues music, love BBQ and like baseball. I am not into racing or NBA. Kansas seems to be the right fit. The landscape looks the right type of feel I am looking for from what i've seen on streetview.

Thanks - I think I have decided after reading a lot of different articles etc.
Glad to help, and I do wish you the best of luck. Stay with this site, especially with the Kansas forum if you have questions about Lawrence. Look into Megabus, the Amtrak train, or Southwest flights to get from KC to other cities. They're the cheapest ways to get around. If you come here in the summer, or at the end of summer (August, September) Chicago is a must-see for the Midwest. You can even hop on a bus down to Indy which I also recommend visiting.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Glad to help, and I do wish you the best of luck. Stay with this site, especially with the Kansas forum if you have questions about Lawrence. Look into Megabus, the Amtrak train, or Southwest flights to get from KC to other cities. They're the cheapest ways to get around. If you come here in the summer, or at the end of summer (August, September) Chicago is a must-see for the Midwest. You can even hop on a bus down to Indy which I also recommend visiting.
Thanks - Jayhawk soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or