U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:45 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,228,908 times

Advertisements

St. Louis would benefit from getting its inner ring suburbs. Quite a few of them you literally drive by an intersection and don't even realize you've left the city anyway.

Chicago should get Schiller Park, Rosemont, Harwood Heights, and Norridge. The city completely surrounds the latter two, and the former two on other side of the little sliver that technically connects Chicago to O'Hare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Unfortunately, the Missouri State Constitution froze the St. Louis city limits, and forbids any further annexation or expansion.
There's been some political talk of bringing St. Louis into St. Louis County, but it wouldn't be a city county merger in which everything becomes St. Louis. St. Louis could be added as another municipality of the county. Everything that's happened recently in Ferguson has essentially frozen such talk though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:42 PM

1,211 posts, read 888,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I can easily see Cambridge and Somerville fitting right into Boston, and throw Chelsea in for good measure. I wouldn't go beyond that. Brookline merging into Boston would never happen.
That's interesting, I feel like Brookline has more in common with it's abutting Boston neighborhoods than Cambridge or Somerville. Crossing the Charles, things have a different feel. But Brookline to me feels more like Boston with the brownstones, wealth and general vibe.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:18 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,222,544 times
Boston and Cambridge, MA
Portland and South Portland, ME
Hartford and West Hartford, CT
Norfolk and Virginia Beach, VA
Tampa and St Petersburg, FL
Shreveport and Bossier City, LA
Little Rock and North Little Rock, AR
Moore and Oklahoma City, OK
Iowa City and Coralville, IA
Moline and East Moline, IL
Mesa and Chandler, AZ?
Fremont and Union City, CA
Bellevue and Seattle, WA
Providence and East Providence, RI
Burlington and Winooski, VT

Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 PM

9,388 posts, read 9,551,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
There's a pretty clear east/west split along I93 of those "just north of Boston" cities... I think Cambridge/Somerville and MAYBE Medford could be merged, and separately Chelsea/Revere/Everett/Malden could be merged; but trying to combine the two would be a disaster.

I think combining Utica and Rome, NY might create enough critical mass to get something positive going for those cities. I also think that the NYS Capital cities could be merged. I never understood why Albany and Troy were separated.
Merging any two town in New England would be a disaster, there would probably be a civil war if Boston tried to annex (read: occupy) its suburbs.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:09 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,203,448 times
Limiting myself to large and/or notable cities

San Francisco and Oakland

Dallas, Forth Worth, and Arlington

A greater DC with Virginia and Maryland contributing the suburban areas to the District of Columbia. Practically this would end upsets rotini Maryland as by most measures as central Maryland would end up sucked into DC. I would use this as the perfect time to create the new state of Delmarva in the east while the western counties could vote to join Virginia, West Virginia, or Pennsylvania.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Birmingham and Bessemer. (And tarrant, Brighton, Lipscomb, midfield and Fairfield)

All of these are adjacent, have the same demographics and the smaller ones are barely able to provide services because of tiny tax bases.
No Hoover, Pelham, Gardendale, and so on?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
I see a trend.

Outside of your area, lots of cities come to mind as logical candidates for consolidation.

Inside your area, every individual city is a special snowflake that is far too different from its neighbors to be combined with any other city.

It is the same as when people talk about which states could be combined.
States don't need to be combined so much divided and recombined to new arrangements. When you look at states where one city comprises more than a third of the population, from a fairness stand point it probably makes sense to split the state so that its government doesn't simply begin to exist solely to serve the purposes of one city.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwas99x View Post
and Winchester. Really Las Vegas should annex them.
How does Henderson get left out of this?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Albuquerque and South Valley, NM
El Paso, TX and Ciudad Juarez, CH (my fantasy US annexation of Chihuahua, which is unlikely to ever happen)
The Metroplex (what are the consequences of what I just typed?)
Gallup and Gamerco, NM (for Gamerco's sake)
No to Chihuahua unless they change the name.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:56 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,676,578 times
All of the super tiny municipalities in North St. Louis County (Velda Village Hills, Pasadena Hills/Park, Pagedale, Normandy, etc.) need to merge into one large "Normandy" with one unified police force rather than the tons of fractured ones they have right now. That will go a long way towards helping poverty and lower QoL in that area by consolidating services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or