U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Hudson county is freaking ridiculous... with 12 different municipalities in an area of 46 square miles. East Newark (0.102 sq miles) and Guttenberg (0.196 sq miles). I mean seriously, towns the size of a couple of blocks. The whole Hudson county should obviously be merged - 635,000 people in 46 square miles, thats not bad and pretty dense, roughly equivalent to Boston city.

If it was up to me I'd merge Newark and Essex county as well. The amount of bureaucracy in NJ is ridiculous.
Yeah, Hudson County is about the same size as Boston in area and in population. And Boston is itself regarded as a postage-stamp sized city. I think you could merge Hudson, Essex, Union, and the lower half of Bergen into a "normal sized" county of a couple hundred square miles and ~3 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 12:10 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,319,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioOutrun View Post
Dayton and Cincinnati. The 45 minute drive down I-75 from Dayton to Cincinnati is all suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
A city which takes 45 minutes to drive across? There needs to be more in-fill in those two cities, not more sprawl.
Whatever little green space remaining along I-75 should be left alone, especially between Middletown and Franklin, Springboro and I-675, Monroe and sprawl central. Greedy developers and ignorant local politicians know and care little about natural environments, wildlife or migratory corridors, at least until a deer dents their Lexus.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:34 AM

6,960 posts, read 14,089,206 times
Almost every city, no matter how similar upon first glance, is unique. For example, people calling for LA to be everything around it. Santa Monica and Beverly Hills would rather burn themselves to the ground and push the remains of Santa Monica into the ocean before joining LA. A big factor for these is that LAUSD is a horrible school district. Meanwhile, the suburbs of LA have some of the best schools in the country. Like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, San Marino, Manhattan Beach, Torrance, etc. Even two small cities just next to each other. Beverly Hills and West Hollywood for example. Beverly Hills is a lot of uppity families and their downtown is mainly shopping and lunch/dinner. West Hollywood is mainly gay, very urban, and a nightlife hotspot. In the South Bay, Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach are similar. But Manhattan Beach is more like Beverly Hills (wealthier, more families, not as much nightlife). Hermosa Beach is like West Hollywood (the straight version with more beach bros who have actual tans from the beach and not a tanning bed). MB and HB would never join.

If I HAD to pick some options that would possible merge in the LA area, I would think maybe Calabasas, Agoura Hills, and Westlake Village. Simi Valley, Moorpark, and Thousand Oaks. The Palos Verdes peninsula cities. Palmdale and Lancaster.

Some of the best options I would have to agree with would be Las Vegas/Paradise and Miami/Miami Beach.

Daly City should join SF.
The entire Utica region should join. Utica, Yorkville, New York Mills, Whitesboro, Washington Mills, and maybe New Hartford. I doubt New Hartford would agree to that though.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:45 AM

1,977 posts, read 1,816,378 times
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Charleston, SC/Mt. Pleasant, SC
Miami/and a lot of others
LA/ and a lot of others

Old 10-09-2015, 12:50 AM

6,960 posts, read 14,089,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Charleston, SC/Mt. Pleasant, SC
Miami/and a lot of others
LA/ and a lot of others
I can comment on LA only out of those. I can tell you LA is horribly run and none of its suburbs would voluntarily join it. Due to the size of LA, though, a borough system could probably work.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:15 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,213,027 times
what about the Tri-Cities of Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland of Washington State. They have an estimated 2014 population of 77,421, 68,648 and 53,019 respectively, and if it were one city it would have a total population of 199,088, making it the fourth largest city in WA just behind Tacoma at 205,159 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or