Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:37 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times

Advertisements

How about Salem, Oregon and Keizer? I see NO difference between the two, and I can't tell where one ends and the other begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:59 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Mesa and Chandler, AZ
No that wouldn't work. Mesa, AZ is already one of Americas largest suburbs with a larger population than Cincinnati. No need to inflate it any further. Mesa, though big enough to have diverse enough demographics, is kind of crappy, lots of trailer parks and RV resorts (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Me...0fc215694e771b). While Chandler is a lot more aesthetically appealing and is a more desirable suburb by a longshot. If anything, some of the cities around the valley are growing so big I wonder if some of them might divide.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:08 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
That's interesting, I feel like Brookline has more in common with it's abutting Boston neighborhoods than Cambridge or Somerville. Crossing the Charles, things have a different feel. But Brookline to me feels more like Boston with the brownstones, wealth and general vibe.
Around Coolidge Corner it has the same uniform urban buildout as Boston, but a lot of Brookline has leafy neighborhoods with single family homes and a country club, with elements not commonly found in Boston, Cambridge, or Somerville.

Look at aerial Boston.....
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...75de475cdbd207

The urban density spills right over the Charles River expanding into most of Cambridge, Somerville, and beyond (Medford/Everett). Notice how much greener its gets in Brookline. It also has its own town government, it's technically not considered a city.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-17-2015 at 11:19 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Updated

Baltimore, Arbutus, Brooklyn Park, Lansdowne, Lochearn, Overlea, Parkville, Pumphrey, Rosedale

Buffalo, Blasdell, Kenmore, Lackawanna, Niagara Falls, North Tonawanda, Sloan, Snyder, Tonawanda, Wheatfield

Cleveland, Bratenahl, Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga Heights, East Cleveland, Euclid, Lakewood, Linndale, Newburgh Heights, Shaker Heights, South Euclid, University Heights

Detroit, Eastpointe, Ecorse, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Hamtramck, Harper Woods, Highland Park, Melvindale, Redford Charter Township, River Rouge

Richmond, Bellwood, Bensley, Bon Air, Chester, Colonial Heights, Dumbarton, East Highland Park, Glen Allen, Hopewell, Mechanicsville, Montrose, Petersburg, Sandston, Tuckahoe,

Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Suffolk.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
All the municipalities evolved their present identity through the natural order of development. It would be extremely rare if messing with that would improve anything. Cities weren't just manufactured this morning and plunked down in a space where they would fit. There were sociological, economic, geographic reasons why they are as they are.

It would be like taking two species of animal, that evolved as separate species through natural selection, and forcibly using genetic engineering or artificial captive breeding to merge them into a single species. They are not the same species, because there were natural reasons for them to evolve as different species, in the circumstances where they found themselves.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
I am not sure if this pertains but many of houston's suburbs are a lot bigger than meets the eye. 3 of th biggest suburbs are mostly unincorporated area. The City of Katy consists of what Katy residents consider old Katy and it's population is 15,000 people over 10 square miles. The area known as greater Katy has 300,000 people within it with Katy adresses and it is arguably the biggest suburb of Houston. The kids of Katy isd almost exclusively live in this greater Katy region. With a few with Houston adresses. The city is divided into 2 by a highway, south Katy were over 200,000 people live and North Katy were nearly a hundred thousand live. 2 of the fastest growing zip codes I the country are located here (Look it up if you don't believe me) 77449 and 77494. Due to the unique situation Katy has almost borderline dangerous growth. The Greater Katy Area wasn't even 100,000 people in 1990 and it maybe hit that number mid 2000's or somewhere before that. This
is why I believe Katy, Cypress, Richmond, Sugar Land, Spring and all the other suburbs that are effected by this should be consolidated into their own cities. As these huge 100,000 plus suburbs are supported by a downtown made for a city of 15,000 etc. The only area out of these cities with a decent downtown area is Sugar Land.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Correction: about 150,000+ live in south Katy and slightly less than 150,000 live in North Katy.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:16 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Around Coolidge Corner it has the same uniform urban buildout as Boston, but a lot of Brookline has leafy neighborhoods with single family homes and a country club, with elements not commonly found in Boston, Cambridge, or Somerville.

Look at aerial Boston.....
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...75de475cdbd207

The urban density spills right over the Charles River expanding into most of Cambridge, Somerville, and beyond (Medford/Everett). Notice how much greener its gets in Brookline. It also has its own town government, it's technically not considered a city.
Did you know towns like Somerville split off Charlestown because they didn't want to be like them. Multipul towns in including Brookline and Cambridge have rejected the chance to join Boston.
It may be a popular idea in center cities like Boston, Detriot, Atlanta to annex but the people in the suburbs would see it as a hostile takeover therefore will never happen. THat is largely the reason Areas around AtlNta have been incorporating to stay out of the City or Atanta.
The people of Dearborn sure as heck don't feel like they should be annexed by Detriot.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:37 AM

375 posts, read 799,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I wouldn't combine Minneapolis and St. Paul, it's such a source of cultural identity. Apart from the fact that there would be no more twin cities in the Twin Cities, people there identify very strongly with one or the other, even in the suburbs. If you're from Minnetonka, that's Minneapolis, period, and if you're from White Bear Lake, that's St. Paul. The rivalry and shared history is such a huge point of cultural pride, it would honestly change the metro irreparably. And, you know, there's not really any reason to, they do fine by themselves.

I definitely agree about Hampton Roads, though, it's such a confusing place. There's not really an anchor city (maybe Norfolk? Virginia Beach is more touristy and kind of far away from the rest of them). Or rather, there are maybe too many anchor cities? How many are really that important to the area? Four? Five? Six? What about Chesapeake? I would say at least Portsmouth and Norfolk should merge, and maybe also Hampton and Newport News. I could see a kind of Tri-Cities thing working with Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Hampton.

There are a bunch of coastal regions on all four sides that could use some consolidation. Certainly parts of Florida and California. There's also a big swath of inhabited coastline on Lake Michigan in Indiana and Michigan that doesn't seem to belong to any metro or anything, and it would be good to have some clearer political boundaries there.
No offense but wouldn't it just be a change in government? Not that this is anywhere near comparable but Omaha has taken over a lot of smaller neighborhoods and people still say i'm from "Millard" or "Benson" along with Omaha unless your'e a transplant. People would still say they are from Saint Paul even if it isn't a city anymore.

That being said here are some I think should be merged. I think that their should be a lot of city/county government mergers just to make some cities more impressive. Like Saint Louis City with Saint Louis County or Dallas with Dallas County.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:23 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Proposed annexation for Baltimore MD, circa 1912:

Proposed annexation for Richmond VA, circa 1970:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.