U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,119,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
Have you been to Boston or NYC? Consider that you're giving out some very inaccurate and perplexing advice to someone who may not know better. NYC and Boston would both be great places to study English. Its pretty uncommon to actually hear the stereotypical Bawston or Noo Yawk accent, movies and TV exaggerate them. And even if a small portion of the people he meets have the accent, that's not going to negatively impact a student's English.

They are both wonderful, active, multicultural cities, and I would recommend a Brazilian visitor stay in Boston or NYC longggggg before I would send them to Omaha freaking Nebraska. However, NYC is outrageously expensive, and Boston isn't cheap either.
I grew up in NY. My brother lives in Boston. The accents are thick.

The midwestern accent is relatively flat, (I also lived in Saint Louis), and probably ideal to learn American english (and even in the midwest there is an accent)

California with its large population of transplants would also be good, except the cost of living is perceived as being expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,607,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I grew up in NY. My brother lives in Boston. The accents are thick.

The midwestern accent is relatively flat, (I also lived in Saint Louis), and probably ideal to learn American english (and even in the midwest there is an accent)

California with its large population of transplants would also be good, except the cost of living is perceived as being expensive.
Honestly man it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. There's an insane amount of students in between Boston and NYC and many of them are ESL students. The majority of academics don't have a strong NY/Boston accents nor do many of the students who attend those schools.

Overall it really has no influence on how an ESL student learns the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or