U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 AM

267 posts, read 239,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Nothing severe in Milwaukee. Some flooding during big downpours, but it's usually basement issues or big puddles on the road/lawn. Tornados aren't a concern in the city itself or anywhere along Lake Michigan on the Wisconsin side. No earthquakes or hurricanes, though there is a fault over near St Louis that was mentioned above - I've never even felt a tremor in my lifetime, though. No poisonous snakes or spiders or bear or really any animal worries in the area. Blizzards?
Maybe about two or two an a half hours south of St. Louis. The epicenter near the New Madrid, MO area. The seismic zone/fault line is located in the boot heel of Missouri, extreme northeastern Arkansas, and northwest Tennessee. The fault doesn't produce very many huge quakes very often but when they do they are usually very severe.

The last huge quake on the New Madrid fault line as known as the sleeping giant happened I believe in 1812 - It was so large that it actually changed the course of the Mississippi river, like the river flowing backwards for a few days and spilling out of it's banks plus rang church bells as far east in the New England region. Very little loss of life or property damage occurred because at the time most of that area was unsettled wilderness. According to geologists, they are predicting for another New Madrid quake of a very strong magnitude. It can happen anytime now and small quakes happens daily on states near or a bit further away from the seismic zone. The difference this time is that now millions of people live in the metropolitan areas - including the cities of Memphis TN, St. Louis MO, Little Rock AR, Nashville TN, Louisville KY, Huntsville AL, and etc.

I think depending on the magnitude of this fault line coming to life, It can probably do light damage in Milwaukee if it's stronger.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 08:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
My part of Jersey, up until Irene, Lee and Sandy, wasn't subject to too much. We get large snowstorms but nothing that caused major damage. However those 3 storms really kicked our ass. Irene and Lee caused a lot of flooding and power outages. Snowstorms in October have become a common reality and cause damage because the snow weighs the trees down (which haven't lost their leaves) and caused more power outages. With Sandy, it wasn't flooding, it was wind - we lost 30000 trees in my town alone. My kids' school was out for 2 weeks because of power outages. I'm very fortunate b/c we only lost power for 2 days during Sandy, it helps being on the same grid as the hospital. And we are on the top of a hill so we don't flood at all.

In all my years of living here I've never seen so many destructive storms as in the past 2 years.
yes. Global warning is what is causing it. The weather patterns are changing and I think unfortunately this is the new normal for the Northeast.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:47 PM

2,321 posts, read 3,004,031 times
I would say in my part of coastal MD, hurricanes/tropical storms in the summer and north easters in the fall/winter. Basically all the same thing (strong winds and rain in a low pressure system), though northeasters usually do more damage as they generally travel very slowly and sometimes sit still for a few days. Because of how we are situated in a dip in the coastline we are generally spared from the brunt of the tropical systems as NC usually snags them before they get to us. Irene and then Sandy passed over us but there wasn't much damage here as our neighbors above and below us got the worst of both. My power didn't even flicker once during those storms. There have been some strong hurricanes in the past though, such as the one that opened our inlet back in the 30's.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:41 PM

601 posts, read 711,087 times
Jökulhlaups (glacial floods when ice dam breaks)
Avalanche
Mud/Rock slide
Earthquake to a lesser degree
Taku Winds. Hurricane force winds that blow off the mountains for 2-4 days during the winter.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:21 AM

2,958 posts, read 3,818,501 times
Denver seems pretty prone to rising sea levels. I mean, Pangea was a thing once, am I right?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:06 AM

596 posts, read 676,076 times
Austin has tornadoes and recurring problems with drought. Water restrictions have been in place here for years.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM

723 posts, read 1,397,978 times
Charleston has many hazards for a city our size. We get hurricanes and tropical weather almost every year. Hugo in 1989 (25 years ago) was the worst storm ever to hit our area, providing major damage almost everywhere, but 25 mi N, they had about an 18 ft storm surge. The last major threat we had was Floyd in 1999; Gaston in 2004 also was a very bad scare. We lost power for 72 hours that storm.

Charleston also had a major earthquake in 1886, a 7.3, and is on top of several fault lines. An earthquake now would be a crippling blow to the entire region, because it could be felt almost anywhere on the East Coast.

Last winter we had two ice and snow storms which closed down our main bridge between Charleston and Mt. Pleasant (a cable-stayed bridge) for days on end and caused major damage to our inland areas. Tornadoes also are a threat here; the area near Summerville had a bad tornado in 1998.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,283,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Denver seems pretty prone to rising sea levels. I mean, Pangea was a thing once, am I right?
When Denver starts getting hurricane warnings... well, the rest of you are all dead!

As for Denver, we have minimal natural disasters. Outside the city to the west, in the mountains, there are fires, mudslides, rockslides and avalanches. In the city, there is a minor tornado threat, but they tend to touch down on the far eastern side of the metro area and be in the F0 to F1 category (glorified dust devils, IMO).
And while many of the faults of Colorado haven't been researched extensively, I found infomation that says there is a reasonable earthquake threat here in Denver. Apparently there was a 7.0 quake centered up toward Estes Park in the 1800s that, if it occurred today, would have caused billions in damage in Denver/the Front Range. Oh, and if Yellowstone blows, we'll all suffocate to death fairly fast

Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,597,286 times
Charlotte: I guess tornadoes, but very rare in my experience. North Carolina's coasts deal with hurricanes.
Morgantown: like most of WV, floods can be a problem.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,879,167 times
San Jose: earthquakes of course. Though they don't seem to happen very often. I haven't even felt a tremor in the last 5, 6, 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.