Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 AM

126 posts, read 133,383 times

Advertisements

the reason these stats are wrong is chi is a bigger city and it has more cheap ghetto housing just numbers wise so it brings down averages more than philly cheap ghetto housing cuz philly has less of it cuz its a smaller city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by do sum'n View Post
rents for comparable nhoods in philly are cheaper than in the chi plus property taxes are lower
i dont have any stats cuz i researched on nhood by nhood basis, but if u have doubts, do yo own research
Well the statistics provided by lrfox say otherwise...but whatever.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 AM

Middlesex-Monmouth, NJ 124.8
Philadelphia, PA 126.5

there is NO way Philly is more expensive than those counties so those stats are def wrong, ask anyone who knows NJ

Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 AM

19 posts, read 30,054 times
Quote:
you taking the most expensive nhoods with the most expensive buildings, thats not an accurate picture
CC is not the only desirable area, of course it cost more, esp with new buildings, its the city core
look at places in nw philly like mt airy, which are some of the nicest nhoods in philly and compare them to similar nhoods in other major cities and u will see philly is way cheaper, u can get a decent apt in a decent nhood for $800-900
plus i have a feeling comparable buildings in comparable downtowns of other major cities will cost even more

- No, not exclusively the most expensive neighborhoods (prior to construction, 777 S. Broad St. was a deserted parking lot in a so-so pocket of Center City for eons), I was linking affordability in desirable regions of major cities.

- Yes, Mt. Airy is what I would deem a desirable neighborhood but the prices to rent are above $800 - $900 / month in highly sought after sections, closer to Chestnut Hill, Lincoln Drive. And Chestnut Hill is not affordable, period.

- Those prices I listed are rather steep for meager 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom rental units; I can see similar units in NYC going for a higher price, but there's not too many places in the U.S. pushing beyond those numbers...and I was random with it (my web search), closer to the Squares will generate even higher numbers, or 2 Liberty place, for example. Overall point, I suppose, is that anything truly desirable will not be as affordable as anticipated, by a long shot. Yes, affordability can be discovered in Center City's fringe neighborhoods, or other fringe / burgeoning neighborhoods around the city. But step into an established section of the city and you'd better have your money right.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methedy23 View Post
- No, not exclusively the most expensive neighborhoods (prior to construction, 777 S. Broad St. was a deserted parking lot in a so-so pocket of Center City for eons), I was linking affordability in desirable regions of major cities.

- Yes, Mt. Airy is what I would deem a desirable neighborhood but the prices to rent are above $800 - $900 / month in highly sought after sections, closer to Chestnut Hill, Lincoln Drive. And Chestnut Hill is not affordable, period.

- Those prices I listed are rather steep for meager 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom rental units; I can see similar units in NYC going for a higher price, but there's not too many places in the U.S. pushing beyond those numbers...and I was random with it (my web search), closer to the Squares will generate even higher numbers, or 2 Liberty place, for example. Overall point, I suppose, is that anything truly desirable will not be as affordable as anticipated, by a long shot. Yes, affordability can be discovered in Center City's fringe neighborhoods, or other fringe / burgeoning neighborhoods around the city. But step into an established section of the city and you'd better have your money right.
i dont understand whats yo point tho? im not sayin philly is dirt cheap or its affordable like some place in ohio or nebraska, but u cant tell me its not affordable comparing to the major cities even without considering nyc
u gon tell me philly is not considerably cheaper than dc, boston, la, bay area, seatle? cuz these are the cities it is comparable to
chicago is the only other one that is also affordable
and u can find apts in philly for 900 in decent, safe nhoods so no need to talk about that and u can find even better ones in the burbs for that price unlike these other cities

Old 05-25-2013, 12:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
the reason these stats are wrong is chi is a bigger city and it has more cheap ghetto housing just numbers wise so it brings down averages more than philly cheap ghetto housing cuz philly has less of it cuz its a smaller city
That doesn't make sense man. It's a game of percentages...from a percentage perspective they're probably similar and that's all that counts. Raw numbers don't really apply here.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
lol it doesn't "bring the numbers down." Both are very affordable big cities compared to their similar peers (i.e. walkable, tons of stuff to do, etc). You can look at averages all you want, but if you look at real listings, you know that the prices for both cities aren't always that high. I have loads of friends paying under $700/month with roommates here in good neighborhoods and I could find you a 1 bedroom in a great neighborhood for under $1000/month.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:23 PM

ok anyway the point wasn't to compare chi and philly COL so i dont wan get off topic with this, either way to find luxury apts in philly for 2k a month and say this is how it is, is absurd

Old 05-25-2013, 02:34 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
ok anyway the point wasn't to compare chi and philly COL so i dont wan get off topic with this, either way to find luxury apts in philly for 2k a month and say this is how it is, is absurd
What is "wan?"

Old 05-25-2013, 04:14 PM

358 posts, read 621,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
What is "wan?"
I can't understand anything the OP has written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.