U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 PM
 
85 posts, read 127,688 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

Compared to groups like the Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans, there really aren't very many people from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh in as large numbers on the West Coast as there is on the East Coast. Heck, I feel like they're more represented in the South than they are in the West Coast. Is there any reason of why that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Reputation: 10280
They do. Ever been to the Bay Area? Its the 2nd largest South Asian community outside NYC/New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 PM
 
85 posts, read 127,688 times
Reputation: 49
Indian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia According to this, Chicago is #2 and San Francisco is #5. In fact, Los Angeles has more Indians. But both are eclipsed by far by places that aren't on the West Coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
Indian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia According to this, Chicago is #2 and San Francisco is #5. In fact, Los Angeles has more Indians. But both are eclipsed by far by places that aren't on the West Coast
I said the Bay Area. That implies both San Francisco and San Jose. If you add them together, you get the 2nd highest concentration in the US. Considering the centers of the two metros are a mere 40 miles apart and most Indians live between the two, its perfectly logical to combine them when talking about ethnic communities.

Using this list, the big ones are:

NYC: 526,133
Bay Area: 237,565
Chicago: 171,901
Washington DC/Baltimore: 160,156
Los Angeles/Riverside: 143,488
Dallas: 100,386
Houston: 91,637
Philadelphia: 90,286
Boston: 62,598
Seattle: 52,652

It didnt list Atlanta for whatever reason, but I seem to recall the number being around 70000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 PM
 
85 posts, read 127,688 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I said the Bay Area. That implies both San Francisco and San Jose. If you add them together, you get the 2nd highest concentration in the US. Considering the centers of the two metros are a mere 40 miles apart and most Indians live between the two, its perfectly logical to combine them when talking about ethnic communities.
Ah fair enough. But it still falls way short of NYC. At least compared to other Asian groups, South Asians don't live as much on the West Coast. I mean the New York metro area alone has more Indians than the whole state of California, and that's not even counting the other South Asian groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Reputation: 10280
Also, lets look at where Indians are immigrating to. Based of the DHS numbers from 2012:

NYC: 10,550
Bay Area: 6,837
Chicago: 4,106
Washington DC: 3,446
Dallas: 2,606
Los Angeles: 2,538
Houston: 2,164
Philadelphia: 2,067
Seattle: 1,939
Atlanta: 1,769
Boston: 1,574
Detroit: 1,234
Phoenix: 884
Minneapolis: 741

What youre saying is true with NYC, but outside NYC it isnt true. Its hard to really fight with NYC over any immigrant group (sans Mexicans). I mean, NYC really is the nexus of immigration that no other city can compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 PM
 
85 posts, read 127,688 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
What youre saying is true with NYC, but outside NYC it isnt true. Its hard to really fight with NYC over any immigrant group (sans Mexicans). I mean, NYC really is the nexus of immigration that no other city can compare.
But compared to other Asian groups, South Asians don't seem as West Coast centric. I was just wondering why that is. I mean when you think of Indians in America, cities that typically come up are NYC, New Jersey, Chicago, DC, etc. Nothing on the West Coast. Compare that to Chinese or Japanese people where Los Angeles and San Francisco (to a much smaller extent) dominate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
But compared to other Asian groups, South Asians don't seem as West Coast centric. I was just wondering why that is. I mean when you think of Indians in America, cities that typically come up are NYC, New Jersey, Chicago, DC, etc. Nothing on the West Coast. Compare that to Chinese or Japanese people where Los Angeles and San Francisco (to a much smaller extent) dominate.
What you say is somewhat ironic because NYC, by far, has the largest Chinese population in the US. The Asian groups where the West Coast dominate are Filipinos, Koreans, and Vietnamese. Hawaii dominates with Japanese. Also, Filipinos are by far the largest Asian group on the West Coast overall followed by Chinese, Vietnamese, and Koreans.

South Asians are not East Coast centric. I realize NYC is the uncontested number one, but outside of NYC, there is no trend for them. You have your traditional immigrant gateways for Indians (NYC, Chicago, and New Jersey), you have your tech gateway (the Bay Area and to a lesser extent Seattle), and you have a series of newer gateways where Indians traditional have not gone but now Indians and other Desi's are flooding (no place fits that better than Dallas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 08:05 PM
 
85 posts, read 127,688 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
What you say is somewhat ironic because NYC, by far, has the largest Chinese population in the US. The Asian groups where the West Coast dominate are Filipinos, Koreans, and Vietnamese. Hawaii dominates with Japanese. Also, Filipinos are by far the largest Asian group on the West Coast overall followed by Chinese, Vietnamese, and Koreans.
Huh? I always thought California had the most Chinese people. Thank you for correcting me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
South Asians are not East Coast centric. I realize NYC is the uncontested number one, but outside of NYC, there is no trend for them. You have your traditional immigrant gateways for Indians (NYC, Chicago, and New Jersey), you have your tech gateway (the Bay Area and to a lesser extent Seattle), and you have a series of newer gateways where Indians traditional have not gone but now Indians and other Desi's are flooding (no place fits that better than Dallas).
But the difference between #1 and #2 is way larger than between #2 and #3. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago retakes #2 given the poor California economy right now and the fact that its becoming more and more monoculturally Hispanic (for better and for worse). And compared to other Asians, Indians have the smallest representation on the West Coast compared to groups like Filipinos and Koreans where maybe more than half of all of those groups live on the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
Huh? I always thought California had the most Chinese people. Thank you for correcting me.

But the difference between #1 and #2 is way larger than between #2 and #3. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago retakes #2 given the poor California economy right now and the fact that its becoming more and more monoculturally Hispanic (for better and for worse). And compared to other Asians, Indians have the smallest representation on the West Coast compared to groups like Filipinos and Koreans where maybe more than half of all of those groups live on the West Coast.
As a state, California has the most Chinese. By metro area and city, NYC has the most.

California is not becoming more monocultural. LA and the Bay Area are undergoing the exact same trends that NYC and Chicago are undergoing: white and black leave while Hispanic and Asian (including Indian) are flooding in. Remember the numbers from the DHS showing immigration in 2012.

NYC: 10,550
Bay Area: 6,837
Chicago: 4,106
Washington DC: 3,446
Dallas: 2,606
Los Angeles: 2,538
Houston: 2,164
Philadelphia: 2,067

There is no denying it. The Bay Area is a very solid number two that Chicago would have a very hard time catching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top